Brutal Dak Prescott referee gaffe ends Cowboys-49ers playoff battle

zekecowboy

Reaction score

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Yes, let's ignore 59 minutes and 46 seconds of failure and focus on one desperate play in the final 14 seconds.

Problem was that it came down to that one desperate play. because of the team failing to execute and do their jobs sooner in the game. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. They can't wait until the 4th quarter to try to show some life.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The play at the end is a summary of this game. A straight up stupid mess.
It’s a summary of the Cowboys last two decades. I watched the game with a firmed who is a Browns fan. He said he heard the Cowboys lose with crazy things happening at the end of games and asked me at the beginning of the game if it were true. Told him it was and also it also seemed like the Chargers do the same in the AFC. We were just laughing after the game at the clock running out. It just is what it is.

CowboyDAK

Reaction score
It’s a summary of the Cowboys last two decades. I watched the game with a firmed who is a Browns fan. He said he heard the Cowboys lose with crazy things happening at the end of games and asked me at the beginning of the game if it were true. Told him it was and also it also seemed like the Chargers do the same in the AFC. We were just laughing after the game at the clock running out. It just is what it is.

We’ve lost a lot of weird ones but I’m not pinning this game down like that. We sucked balls and got our ***** beat.

lostar2009

Reaction score

I told my son that same statement too. I told him something stupid was going to happen this game. The whole team was in on it. I dont hate the 49ers and dont blame the refs. The Cowboys have serious issues they need to work out.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yes, let's ignore 59 minutes and 46 seconds of failure and focus on one desperate play in the final 14 seconds.

Yeah, I agree that the odds of pulling out a W were slim even if they gave the Cowboys 1 second more to play. The problem was Dallas scoring 7 points in the first 3 quarters. But that play was like some kind of cosmic irony and microcosm of the Cowboys entire season. Dumb, sloppy and it cost them a chance to win the game. The idea of not getting even one chance to fling the ball in the end zone for a lucky break is pretty frustrating.

But honestly, even dumber was pulling off the fake punt then leaving the punting unit on the field for some reason I still cannot figure out. To get the 49ers to call a time out? And what if they did? So what? They had the lead. But worse, they didn't because they knew the clock was going to run down before the Cowboys could snap the ball. I mean, the 49ers can see the play clock too! The only thing that would have made that play dumber would have been if the Cowboys called a time out to avoid the penalty for delay of game. The didn't but you know they were thinking about it! The 49ers stood on the field stunned at the idiocy of what the Cowboys were doing.

Honestly, what an embarrassing day for the Cowboys. The run by Dak to end the game was just the straw the broke the camel's back.

triplets_93

Reaction score
ESPN says:

The clock ran out as the Cowboys attempted to snap the ball from the 49ers' 24-yard line on the final play of the game.

How it was resolved: Referee Alex Kemp declared the game over, even after the snap was delayed for umpire Ramon George to adjust the spot.

Analysis: Kemp and George did their jobs. With 14 seconds remaining, Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott had run for 17 yards on a designed draw. Usually in that situation, NFL players are advised to hand the ball directly to the umpire or another official to expedite the spotting of the ball. By rule, there can't be a snap until an official has touched the ball to confirm and/or adjust the spot.

This was entirely the fault of the Cowboys, from the risky playcall with no timeouts remaining to Prescott's inability to hand the ball to an official. Kemp and his crew did exactly what they would be expected to do.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...decisions-happened-which-were-right-came-next

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Shouldn't have even come down to a bizarre play like that but of course this team is so dumb that they had to end it in that fashion. A dumb playcall by the coaches and dumb execution by the QB who tried running for extra yards and taking a full slide.

Watch a team like the Packers that knew how to execute a last-second spike with no timeouts against this same 49ers team (skip to 2:48 mark):

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We’ve lost a lot of weird ones but I’m not pinning this game down like that. We sucked balls and got our ***** beat.
Of course we did and then it ended in a jaw-dropping, Cowboys-like way.

BermyStar

Reaction score
The best thing about the idiotic play is that JJ can't ignore how terrible of a coaching job this was. Does it mean action? I dunno, but a better chance because of it I'd guess.

Brax

Reaction score
Dak Prescott’s rush attempt ended Cowboys’ season
As Tony Romo made extremely clear, the referee had to touch the ball before Prescott could clock it. Prescott, instead, seemed to believe he could just hand the ball to the center and reset things himself.

Seriously … how does this happen? How does no one have the right answer under pressure here?

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/01/16/cowboys-dak-prescott-referee-gaffe-49ers-playoffs-video/
Bad coaching a Dallas trade mark plain and simple.

visionary

Reaction score
Once again the offense was slumbering for 3 quarters of the game and then decided to wake up. Yea this was the dumb play by Prescott, but the game was lost long before then.

this is the bottom line
You can’t score 7 points in the first 3 quarters of a playoff game at home and expect to win
This loss is on McCarthy, Moore and Dak