Video: BST: Kris Richard Has Big Decision to Make

John813

Reaction score
Generally speaking, it’s a good idea. But that Miami team is in a bad spot. Without a QB, he’ll have, what, 2 years to turn things around? That’s a tall order.

Compared to promotion to DC in Dallas with all those players and the big spotlight. This time next season he could land one of the best gigs as opposed to being saddled with one of the worst?

I think I’d still take the Dolphins, but it’s close.

Ross is a relatively patient owner.
Gase got fired cause he's an arrogant prick.
Philbin stayed for far too long too.

Ross pretty much said in his press conference that he wants to build the team correctly now and doesn't want bandaid FA signings on false hopes of playoffs:

“Seeing that today we are no further along than when I bought the team,” Ross said in a Monday morning news conference. “We have been operating under a philosophy that we had a good young roster that needed maybe free agents and draft choices and we would be very competitive. To keep operating under that philosophy would be the definition of insanity — doing the same thing and expecting a different result. I thought it was time for the organization to take a different approach, much like I do in my business....

“We are going to build it the right way and looking to build an organization that can be sustainable and winning … Not just signing free agents that are older and a few draft choices and think you are going to be a contender.”
“I would hope I don’t have to go 3-13,” Ross responded. “But whatever it’s going to take, we are going to build the organization with the right players who are coming here to win….. If it takes a year or two years or three years, we are going to be there and we’re going to be an organization.”
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article223763545.html

I think any HC will be safe for a bit as long as they don't lose the team and or tell the owner to mind his business.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Also Adam Gase got picked up almost immediately as a HC after Miami let him go. Seems like Kris doesn’t have much to worry about as long as he’s a good coahx

Falco78

Reaction score
Generally speaking, it’s a good idea. But that Miami team is in a bad spot. Without a QB, he’ll have, what, 2 years to turn things around? That’s a tall order.

Compared to promotion to DC in Dallas with all those players and the big spotlight. This time next season he could land one of the best gigs as opposed to being saddled with one of the worst?

I think I’d still take the Dolphins, but it’s close.
I see your point, but if I have an opportunity between staying with a company and a chance of promotion or a company that is tanking as a CEO I would do the smart move and stick with the company on the ascend.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
Also Adam Gase got picked up almost immediately as a HC after Miami let him go. Seems like Kris doesn’t have much to worry about as long as he’s a good coahx

This I think makes Miami an even worse destination (no QB, not talent, no cap, no front office). Now he not only has to win but he absolutely has to beat the Jets and finish in front of them in the standings.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would make you think that scenario is likely? It would take a complete train wreck next season for Garrett to lose his job, and if that happens then Richard would likely bear some of the blame.

Miami’s QB situation may not be settled but guys like Foles, Bridgewater, etc will be available as stopgaps. It’s a great town, just an excellent place to live and work. It’s a storied franchise with a relatively big fan base.

I hope he stays, but he’d be crazy not to take that job.

I wasn’t suggesting he’d get the Dallas job. Just that he’d be a top candidate for one of the better openings next year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ross pretty much said in his press conference that he wants to build the team correctly now and doesn't want bandaid FA signings on false hopes of playoffs:

“Seeing that today we are no further along than when I bought the team,” Ross said in a Monday morning news conference. “We have been operating under a philosophy that we had a good young roster that needed maybe free agents and draft choices and we would be very competitive. To keep operating under that philosophy would be the definition of insanity — doing the same thing and expecting a different result. I thought it was time for the organization to take a different approach, much like I do in my business....

“We are going to build it the right way and looking to build an organization that can be sustainable and winning … Not just signing free agents that are older and a few draft choices and think you are going to be a contender.”
“I would hope I don’t have to go 3-13,” Ross responded. “But whatever it’s going to take, we are going to build the organization with the right players who are coming here to win….. If it takes a year or two years or three years, we are going to be there and we’re going to be an organization.”
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article223763545.html

I think any HC will be safe for a bit as long as they don't lose the team and or tell the owner to mind his business.

Yeah. You’re probably right. I hadn’t seen this before.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the Dolphins would be a good job. There's opportunity there to rebuild and start your team from scratch.

I'm curious as to why a good amount of members here think Miami is such a bad job.

LittleD

Reaction score
I would hate to lose Richard but would understand him leaving for a HC job. My hope is he stays but should he leave I would hope Dallas would reach out to Todd Bowles
Todd Bowles is going to be DC for Arians at the Bucs, I read.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If they want him bad enough, I could easily see him getting a guaranteed four year contract. I believe that Kingsbury got that out of the Cardinals and he was a lesser regarded option in my opinion.

Having four years worth of security in a high-paying head coaching role no matter how things turned out has to be pretty enticing. And I don't think that's something that even Jerry Jones wallet could reasonably compete with.

My hope at this point resides in either side deciding they'd prefer something else.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Dolphins would be a good job. There's opportunity there to rebuild and start your team from scratch.

I'm curious as to why a good amount of members here think Miami is such a bad job.

Complete lack of direction.
No clear plan.
Disinterested owner.
Constant player and coaching turnover.
20 years of little or no success.
Little cap space for 2019.
In need of a quarterback.
Drafting in the middle of the pack.

I can see a lot of reasons.

erod

Reaction score
He has to take it. The NFL can change so fast, and he may never get the HC opportunity again. You never know what the future holds.

I would agree with that entirely if not for one thing. It's the Miami Dolphins. Horrible front office, no elite players at all, no quarterback, and almost certain cataclysmic failure. Richard would be fired in two years, and then officially become a re-tread.

Staying here makes a lot more sense because (1) this fantastic young defense will just get better, so his stock will continue to rise, (2) Jerry will pay him a top-paid defensive coordinator, and (3) Richard is only 39 years old.

There will be much better jobs than Miami for Richard in the future. The Dolphins job is more of a "default" job. Nobody wants it, but it's one of the 32. Richard can do better.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Word is Ross has always tried to impress his minority owners (see below) by going after either big name coaches or players trying to take short-cuts to a Super Bowl. Suh was a colossal failure costing the team a ton cap money.

• Majority owner: Stephen M. ...
  • Minority owners: Gloria Estefan, 57; Emilio Estefan, 61; Marc Anthony, 46; Venus Williams, 34; Serena Williams, 33; Fergie, 39.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see your point, but if I have an opportunity between staying with a company and a chance of promotion or a company that is tanking as a CEO I would do the smart move and stick with the company on the ascend.

Yeah, but he’s not the CEO. He’d will have a boss and he’d be in a dysfunctional environment. Vs staying a hot candidate in the spotlight a bit longer.

Like I said, I’d probably take the MIA job, too, but I don’t think it’s a no-brainer. There have been several hot assistants already this year who have declined interview requests.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He has to take it. The NFL can change so fast, and he may never get the HC opportunity again. You never know what the future holds.

:hammer: Not sure why many fans don't understand this. There are 100s of coaches lined up for a shot at one. IF you're fortunate enough to get an offer, you better take it.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I would agree with that entirely if not for one thing. It's the Miami Dolphins. Horrible front office, no elite players at all, no quarterback, and almost certain cataclysmic failure. Richard would be fired in two years, and then officially become a re-tread.

Staying here makes a lot more sense because (1) this fantastic young defense will just get better, so his stock will continue to rise, (2) Jerry will pay him a top-paid defensive coordinator, and (3) Richard is only 39 years old.

There will be much better jobs than Miami for Richard in the future. The Dolphins job is more of a "default" job. Nobody wants it, but it's one of the 32. Richard can do better.

Richard is a man who has supreme confidence in himself. Your points are all valid, but he will believe in himself to succeed regardless.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Richard may very well be the pick for Ross but I would not rule out Brian Flores. He has been with the Patriots for a number of years (somewhere around 10), is a minority, has infinite knowledge of the AFC East, and like Richard is considered an up and coming HC candidate. It will be between those two guys and we won't find out until after their current teams are done.

Rumor out of Dallas is that Stephen Jones has already offered Richard the DC job and Assistant HC job. Not sure that would be enough but you never know. There have been many rumors that at some point Jason Garrett is going to get kicked upstairs (promoted to the front office) in some capacity although I doubt it will anytime soon. BUT, a big but, if it happens then I could see Dallas hiring Richard as the HC. Lots of respect for him from Stephen and Jerry.

John813

Reaction score
Word is Ross has always tried to impress his minority owners (see below) by going after either big name coaches or players trying to take short-cuts to a Super Bowl. Suh was a colossal failure costing the team a ton cap money.

• Majority owner: Stephen M. ...
  • Minority owners: Gloria Estefan, 57; Emilio Estefan, 61; Marc Anthony, 46; Venus Williams, 34; Serena Williams, 33; Fergie, 39.

Wouldn't shock me. It's been the Dolphins MO even before Ross was the majority owner that they were one player/splash FA away from a "run".
With him, he has gone after big names in FA, lead by Ireland at first, which lead to millions and millions in dead cap and failed players. They had Dan Aponte who did a good job with contracts, allowing them to get out of some messy deals at times so they could blow more the following offseason.
What's interesting though is that Ross has money and isn't afraid to spend it(see stadium upgrades). Curious as to why he has so many minority owners with him when he could easily run the entire ship. He's not like Davis who relies on the Raiders for his wealth.