Video: BST: Tavon Austin Could Spark Cowboys Offense in Playoffs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a little different now. Gallop emerging.... cooper drawing double teams and/or the other teams top cb. Beasley still reliable. You can def take a shot or two deep to Austin on the opposing teams 3rd-4th cb.

You certainly can, the question is whether or not this lame playcaller actually will. Austin was having a productive season this year given the few times he was actually involved. And that was among an unimpressive platoon where none of them was feared. Since then, Cooper has obviously arrived, Gallup has improved and established himself, and even the young tight ends have started to show up.

Adding Austin to what they currently have could be a nice bonus for the playoffs. I'm just not sure that even that can cure the very real red zone issues.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Add me to the group that is excited to see what Tavon can do now that we have a true #1 WR on the field. It should be easier to create mismatches by moving Tavon around and running him in motion. Hopefully we can get him on a LBer or safety. Could be the spark we need.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wouldnt expect anything from him ,he really had a bad injury and will limit his explosiveness..
Id activate him this week, give him 10 plays 4-5 runs and 4-5 passes with at least two deep running all out full speed.. this way we can truly see if hes RIGHT for the playoffs..if he ends up limping by games end or looks slow, no way hes wasting space in a playoff game..Id try him for sure..

BTW the other guy saying no Irving, we need to win theres no tomorrow , they are on our roster drawing paychecks and they both can help us WIN,. we need any player that can make an impact or cause the other team to GP them...

David Irving can be an Impact player and IDC if hes been out most of the year or lacks desire to practice for whatever reason, you play those guys if they are healthy and available..the FO would be smart to think the same way, do you want to go further this year, win playoff GAMES, you dont bench guys because they are in your dog house..we want dogs in the playoffs..unchain them..:)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They already tried to extend Beasley and he didn't go for it. He's so gone. He's just worth more somewhere else. So be on a pass first team. On the flip side, Austin is worth more here as a complement to Zeke. A run threat plus a deep threat complements our base offense much better than a possession slot wr.

Both of these players probably think they are worth more than their production would suggest because A) they are on a team that likes to slow-play the ball and B) they are not getting the ball as often as they are getting open.

However, I think we can afford to meet the demands of at least one of them (within some degree of reason, of course) because we should create money by releasing either both or at least one of Williams and Hurns and by redoing Cooper's contract.

Frankly, I'd like to keep them both if we can, but I'm always overly concerned about having contingencies. I agree that Austin's skill set makes him more valuable to this offense as a multiple threat, but Beasley has value as an underneath threat who has shown he can create the type of separation needed for Prescott to throw the ball to him.

I think Austin can have the same kind of production that we got from Beasley against Tampa (in addition to also being able to go deep and carry the ball), but I can't say it with absolute certainty. Having that true underneath threat is going to be important as defensive coordinators continue to focus on Elliott and Cooper, giving more one-on-one or zone looks to Gallup, the slot receiver and tight end.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Tavon Austin Could Spark Cowboys Offense in Playoffs

JJT_and_Paul.jpg

While the Cowboys have wrapped up the NFC East, they still have things to work on in the regular season finale Sunday against the Giants. NBC 5 Cowboys Insider Jean-Jacques Taylor tells Paul Jones one of those things is to find out what Tavon Austin can add to the offense.

Read Full Story
If their ever was a time to use tavon Austin out of the backfield , now is the time. Using him from the slot with cooper on the field would help a lot. Zeke is idle sometimes on pass plays where he doesnt get the ball. Sometimes Dak is in trouble and he just stands there or moves half speed. The coaches and Dak need to use and hit Zeke in stride out of the backfield. The passes aren't quick enough and dak hits him late. They need to hit zeke in stride and early, Zeke is usually jogging before he gets the ball he needs to be running and dak needs to hit him early so that he can do something with the ball and make defenders miss. Usually he gets the ball and has to gather himself and the defenders are on top or almost on top of him. Dak has to recognize faster that he needs to hit him sooner and faster or with a laser. Does Dak and any wide out on the squad know how to execute a back shoulder fade. That would open up the game for this offense. Its timing and deception but also so strength if the defender is grabbing or pulling the receiver and no call is made. That is a play that would open up this offense Dak needs to practice it and get comfortable as does the receiver. He can use it on pass plays anywhere especially in the red zone. That play if ran right in the red zone would open up a ton of options if teams see that you can run that right. Counters can be made like the fade to Gallup the last game. The back shoulder can be a counter to a slant. We have yet to do a flea flicker with Zeke if we have I dont remember. I see a flea flicker working big time with cooper AND Austin on the same field. Gallup used to play QB one time how about using him in a play like Dez did two years ago when he threw a td to Witten. I remember so many plays that we have not done this season. The Seahawks did one play that I love. They were inside the ten. They ran Russell Wilson, he faked a step to his left then blocked went right and he went right almost like he was going to run in a receiver was running right with him. The receiver that was on the left was running right too but their was one receiver who stopped in the middle and shot toward the left pylon while this was all happening and Wilson led him from basically one side of the endzone to about 5 yards before the other pylon on the backside on the opposite end on the left for a TD. That was genius. Everyone was sucked over to the right and the defender that was guarding that guy that caught the ball was at least 5 yards behind the receiver. I just feel that the coaches aren't doing enough to get this offense going. We have the personel we just have to use them and use them right

silvrNblue

Reaction score
So you are still blaming them for Daks failures

All they can do is beat the man covering them. If they never get seen or if the ball sails 3 yards over their head, that's not on the receivers

Thanks for illustrating my point, better than I did

Sniff away
BWHAHAHA dude, pull your head out Romos buttocks for a sec and actually 'think"... know you aint used to it, but at least try...

garyv

Reaction score

JJT_and_Paul.jpg

While the Cowboys have wrapped up the NFC East, they still have things to work on in the regular season finale Sunday against the Giants. NBC 5 Cowboys Insider Jean-Jacques Taylor tells Paul Jones one of those things is to find out what Tavon Austin can add to the offense.

Read Full Story
He helps more as a trick player at RB and a threat at WR than his true stats show.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
BWHAHAHA dude, pull your head out Romos buttocks for a sec and actually 'think"... know you aint used to it, but at least try...

So, if a guy gets open and QB doesnt see or overthrows him, that's the receivers fault?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Austin is hardly a weapon as long as Linehan is coordinator.

He struggled to use him right before he got hurt. I doubt Linehan spent a lot of time figuring out what went wrong while he was on the shelf.

He is pretty much like Dunbar. They talk a ton about how the player is a weapon yet you rarely see it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Both of these players probably think they are worth more than their production would suggest because A) they are on a team that likes to slow-play the ball and B) they are not getting the ball as often as they are getting open.

However, I think we can afford to meet the demands of at least one of them (within some degree of reason, of course) because we should create money by releasing either both or at least one of Williams and Hurns and by redoing Cooper's contract.

Frankly, I'd like to keep them both if we can, but I'm always overly concerned about having contingencies. I agree that Austin's skill set makes him more valuable to this offense as a multiple threat, but Beasley has value as an underneath threat who has shown he can create the type of separation needed for Prescott to throw the ball to him.

I think Austin can have the same kind of production that we got from Beasley against Tampa (in addition to also being able to go deep and carry the ball), but I can't say it with absolute certainty. Having that true underneath threat is going to be important as defensive coordinators continue to focus on Elliott and Cooper, giving more one-on-one or zone looks to Gallup, the slot receiver and tight end.

I'm a fan of Beasley, but he's more valuable elsewhere, so we'd have to pay more than he's worth to us to keep him.

Since Austin is the better fit, I'd go with him for the slot receiver. If we want more underneath threat, we should spend on a TE instead of Beasley. Swaim was getting more than 90% of snaps while healthy. That many snaps shouldn't go to a JAG, and less so to a committee of not even JAGs.

Beasley is great to have to move the chains on 3rd down. I'd rather have him in on 3rd downs than Austin. But I don't want to pay what he's worth as a full time slot receiver on a pass first offense just for 3rd downs.

Austin will be 28 and Beasley 30. Austin coming off a year of being injured. They probably are overestimating their value. Beasley should get a solid contract. 5-7mil. Austin is more variable - 3-7mil.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score

JJT_and_Paul.jpg

Read Full Story
Until he pulls an ovary......

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
This is absolutely true. And to me, it's just another indictment of the offensive coaching staff that they still can't figure out how to effectively use the player talent that they have. Time and again, we see flashes of what these players are capable of, we know that they can do the job. And yet, time and again, the coaches can't manage to put them in position to make those plays.

But that's what happens when a coach calls plays for himself and not his team.

I so look forward to when a better offensive coordinator can get his hands on these players. I think this personnel has the talent to be explosive.

Yep... we have a conservative, and archaic offensive philosophy in place.

Garrett preaches “take what the defense gives you.” So, as soon as teams double Cooper, they have “taken him away” so they are “giving” us a better matchup to exploit. It’s a passive approach and while it sounds good and works in theory—- the same can be said of communism lol.

If you notice good offense’s around the league— they do everything they can to get the ball into the hands of their playmakers— utilize motion, picks, creative playcalling to get them open— even when they are doubled.

We give up on our most dangerous weapons and concede and submit to what the defense is dictating FAR too often IMO... instead we should have an aggressive scheme that attacks the defense’s weakest links with our best assets. We should be dictating all of the matchups to the defense and staying one step ahead on our playcalling.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep... we have a conservative, and archaic offensive philosophy in place.

Garrett preaches “take what the defense gives you.” So, as soon as teams double Cooper, they have “taken him away” so they are “giving” us a better matchup to exploit. It’s a passive approach and while it sounds good and works in theory—- the same can be said of communism lol.

That's exactly right. And Linehan is the exact same way. And it's a "chicken and the egg" deal where I dint know which guy learned it from the other. But either way, it's fine as a situational tool, but it's a terrible idea as a philosophy. You do what you're hood at, first and foremost, and let the defense worry about actually stopping that. Otherwise, you're constantly allowing them to dictate to you.

It reallybothers me to hear Linehan giving his most recent excuse for not running the football by saying "the defense is expecting it". Really? You're inside the five and can't run the ball because they might be "expecting it"? That's a fireable offense for me right there. Sorry, but I want someone with more spine than that. Someone that says this is what we're built for, this is what we're coached to do, and this is what we do best, try to stop us. And before some excusemakers tries to twist that into meaning predictable, it isn't. Bigger minds can see that, while smaller minds need help.

If you notice good offense’s around the league— they do everything they can to get the ball into the hands of their playmakers— utilize motion, picks, creative playcalling to get them open— even when they are doubled.

We give up on our most dangerous weapons and concede and submit to what the defense is dictating FAR too often IMO... instead we should have an aggressive scheme that attacks the defense’s weakest links with our best assets. We should be dictating all of the matchups to the defense and staying one step ahead on our playcalling.

How could I not notice? To sum it up, we're playing checkers while everyone else plays chess. Our offensive playmakers are hindered, not helped, by an offense and playcalling that is both behind the times, and ill-suited to their talents.

I was thinking specifically about one play the other day, and anyone can chime in if they remember differently, but when was the last toss sweep rushing play you've seen this team utilize, especially near the goal line? I struggle to remember the last time I've seen a ball pitched to Elliott in the backfield while he's on the move.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Y didn't we cut Tavon yet? I like his swag and all that, but I don't think he's it.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL.

Suckers gonna buy this I guess.

At what point do people get wise and understand Austin is what he is? A gadget/backup player that is oft injured. The notion that this guy is going to spark this offense from being more than just mediocre is bizarre at this point.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
That's exactly right. And Linehan is the exact same way. And it's a "chicken and the egg" deal where I dint know which guy learned it from the other. But either way, it's fine as a situational tool, but it's a terrible idea as a philosophy. You do what you're hood at, first and foremost, and let the defense worry about actually stopping that. Otherwise, you're constantly allowing them to dictate to you.

It reallybothers me to hear Linehan giving his most recent excuse for not running the football by saying "the defense is expecting it". Really? You're inside the five and can't run the ball because they might be "expecting it"? That's a fireable offense for me right there. Sorry, but I want someone with more spine than that. Someone that says this is what we're built for, this is what we're coached to do, and this is what we do best, try to stop us. And before some excusemakers tries to twist that into meaning predictable, it isn't. Bigger minds can see that, while smaller minds need help.

How could I not notice? To sum it up, we're playing checkers while everyone else plays chess. Our offensive playmakers are hindered, not helped, by an offense and playcalling that is both behind the times, and ill-suited to their talents.

I was thinking specifically about one play the other day, and anyone can chime in if they remember differently, but when was the last toss sweep rushing play you've seen this team utilize, especially near the goal line? I struggle to remember the last time I've seen a ball pitched to Elliott in the backfield while he's on the move.

Well said. We are built as a power running team— and we have a finnesse minded OC that grows a va-jay-jay in the red zone