News: BTB: Cowboys 2018 minicamp: All the sights and sounds from the final day

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10890632.0.jpg

The Cowboys has their final practice until they meet again for training camp in late-July.

The Dallas Cowboys were back on the practice field for their final minicamp practice of the offseason. Here are the highlights of what went down.

Over the course of the past two days, one side of the team has had more wins:

Final Garrett presser until training camp (woo hoo!): says defense has won last couple practices but offense is being put in challenging positions to see how they respond.

— Kate Hairopoulos (@khairopoulos) June 14, 2018

You can catch the entirety of Jason Garrett’s final presser:

Final press conference with Jason Garrett until Training Camp, as the #Cowboys have their final minicamp practice today. pic.twitter.com/CQUQiYxik3

— Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) June 14, 2018

Coach Garrett was clear to the players that he demands them to be conditioned and ready after five weeks off:

JG’s msg to team: rigorous training is needed before training camp... come in in best shape of life...reinforce need to make good decisions over these next five weeks off.

— Kate Hairopoulos (@khairopoulos) June 14, 2018

Garrett asked younger Cowboys at one point why LBs Sean Lee, Damien Wilson were “working their f-ing a**es off” while they were jogging like they’re trying out for the Santa Monica f-ing track club pic.twitter.com/suhttWZaKX

— Jori Epstein (@JoriEpstein) June 14, 2018

Sean Lee wanted more intensity during individual drills today. At one point, yelled multiple times for radio guy to turn it up (Shipping Up to Boston was playing) pic.twitter.com/OsusDr5MQc

— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) June 14, 2018

Garrett also updated us on the timetable of some players who are dealing with injuries:

#Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett says that they are hopeful Terrance Williams will be ready for training camp. Not a certainty, but gave Terrance a better chance than Maliek Collins. Says Maliek is “the guy” they’re concerned about, not being ready in time for camp.

— Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) June 14, 2018

Jason Garrett said that DL Tyrone Crawford didn't practice Wednesday because of a minor ankle injury.

— Brandon George (@DMN_George) June 14, 2018

Speaking on yesterday’s blockbuster extension for Zack Martin, Garrett was all smiles:

Garrett on Cowboys extending RG Zack Martin 6 years, $84M: We're really excited to have him locked up for 'essentially the rest of his career.' Martin has also said he doesn't want to leave Dallas

It wouldn’t be right not to wish linebacker Jaylon Smith the happiest of Birthdays!

#cowboyszone join us in wishing @thejaylonsmith a happy birthday! pic.twitter.com/fENpZBA2lI

— Dallas Cowboys (@dallascowboys) June 14, 2018

Jaylon Smith didn’t practice today, which opened the door for Justin March-Lillard, Joe Thomas and Damien Wilson to get 1st-team reps.

Not sure why Jaylon sat out. Maybe it was a birthday present

— David Helman (@HelmanDC) June 14, 2018

Garrett is eager to continue the long tradition of challenging Dak Prescott after each practice:

Jason Garrett: "That was a little bit tongue in cheek. I'm not quite so sure that I've been dominating." https://t.co/ftEIypIdry

David Irving certainly sounds like a man with his priorities straightened out:

Cowboys DL David Irving on his daughter: "I'm all she's got pretty much. Now full custody, she's with me only. You always think you have to do this for your family, but not it's a difference. I don't have time to be messing around and getting in trouble like I have been."

Irving held center court with the media to answer any questions related to his OTA absences:

Cowboys DL David Irving on his focus needing to be only on football: "To me that's impossible. I do have a daughter and other things to deal with. There's a balance to everything. Everyone questions my commitment. When I'm on the field, I don't really get too much questioning."

Cowboys LB Sean Lee said earlier in week DL David Irving needs to be here with his teammates: "Me and Sean Lee had our talks, too. I respect him. Great guy, great teammate. And I do need to have my *** up here more."

Irving believes the sky is the limit for he and DeMarcus Lawrence as ferocious members of an improved pass rush:

Cowboys DL David Irving said it’s hard to put a ceiling on what he, Tank Lawrence do on field together this year: “A sack a quarter each maybe? Who knows”

All DeMarcus Lawrence needs to do is record 50 more sacks than he got last year https://t.co/3L1exuG8KN

Another Cowboys star was available for comment today too as Ezekiel Elliott expressed his excitement for a heavy workload:

Is Ezekiel Elliott ready for a heavy workload in 2018? "I’m all for it. A lot is asked from the running back for the Dallas Cowboys, a lot has been asked for me the past two seasons. I’ve had some great strides this offseason, getting ready to carry that workload."

— Drew Davison (@drewdavison) June 14, 2018

We got another Tavon Austin sighting, this time as a punt returner:

Tavon Austin working on punt returns today pic.twitter.com/bhN32ucQx5

Though the defense has been winning most of the early battles, the play of the day belongs to Dak Prescott and Allen Hurns:

Standout play of Day 3? Wait for it.

A back shoulder fade from Dak to Allen Hurns. Ball was well-placed, Hurns boxed out Byron Jones and toe-touched just outside the pylon. Put the first-team offense right on the goal line. #cowboyswire

— David Helman (@HelmanDC) June 14, 2018

We’ll end today’s minicamp roundup with one of the more vocal players on the roster as Cole Beasley spoke to the media about that giant “chip” on his shoulder:

"I've always had a chip on my shoulder."
Cole Beasley talks about how he has always played with something to prove.

https://t.co/0JXNkjVW7Z pic.twitter.com/V5omULegmD

— Dallas Cowboys (@dallascowboys) June 14, 2018

That’s it for the offseason, we now begin the long process of football withdrawls for the next month and change until training camp.

Continue reading...