News: BTB: Cowboys post-OTA’s 53-man roster predictions

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10890684.0.jpg

OTA’s and mini-camp are now over. Who are the front-runners to hold down roster spots for the Dallas Cowboys?

Organized team activities and mini-camp are now complete for the Dallas Cowboys. The team will get a five-week break before heading to Oxnard, California on July 26th for training camp. While the practices thus far has only included shells and shorts, that hasn’t prevented some players from impressing coaches as guys look to solidify their spots on the team. And with that buzz comes the ongoing stacking of players as we attempt to build the 2018 roster. So, how do things look so far? Well, here is a post OTA’s 53-man roster prediction.

Image_19.png

The only real question at quarterback for the Cowboys is who will be the team’s backup. Currently, the job belongs to second-year, undrafted free agent sensation Cooper Rush, but if last preseason taught us anything - jobs are always up for grabs. Rush secured the backup spot last season over Kellen Moore after a brilliant preseason performance. Rookie Mike White has the skills to challenge Rush for his spot, but who comes out on top is anyone’s guess.

Image_21.png

This is another position group that looks pretty set. The team has a star in Ezekiel Elliott who will handle the workload, but the other guys all offer a little something different. Rod Smith can catch passes and help out on special teams. We are all looking forward to see what kind of flavor Tavon Austin brings to the offense. And rookie Bo Scarbrough is a nice bruiser back that can punish the defense after Zeke wears them out.

Fullback Jamize Olawale should take over for the departed Keith Smith.

Image_22.png

The Cowboys don’t have Jason Witten anymore, but they have a lot of young guys champing at the bit to earn reps at tight end. The team will use a committee approach and it’s unclear what type of role each of them will have. It’s possible the team goes lean at TE if Rico Gathers doesn’t show enough improvement with his blocking, but I’m still leaning towards the big guy making the squad.

Image_23.png

The Cowboys aren’t top heavy with superstars at this position, but they are bottom heavy with solid players. The competition is fierce and ultimately there will be some tough roster cuts at this position. Some roster predictions we’ve seen don’t include rookie Cedrick Wilson, but he makes this list. Not only does he make the cut, but if the Cowboys go with only five receivers, Noah Brown could be the odd man out, not Wilson.

Free agent Deonte Thompson still has training camp to strut his stuff, but based on sheer numbers, there’s just not a lot of room to keep extra receivers.

Image_24.png

With the addition of free agent Cameron Fleming and second-round draft pick Connor Williams, the offensive line is six strong. They still have room for a couple more guys and there should be some good battles going on to finalize those remaining spots.

Joe Looney and Marcus Martin are solid reserve interior linemen who have position flex to play center, but the team doesn’t need both of them. This offseason, they were both signed to cheap deals, but only one will be worth hanging on to. I’m giving the nod to the incumbent Looney so the “Jumbo Joe” package can remain intact.

Another interesting battle should be between Chaz Green and Kadeem Edwards. Many fans don’t ever want to see Green on the field again, but he’s still around... for now. With Zack Martin sitting out of OTA’s while he was working on a new contract, Green got first-team reps at this spot. Is that an indicator of where they see him in the pecking order? Most recently, however, Green was replaced with Kadeem Edwards during last week’s mini camp in Martin’s spot. Edwards played okay last preseason and it looked like he might’ve had a shot to make the team after both Byron Bell and Emmett Cleary both played terrible. And last month, we listed him as a dark-horse candidate who could make the roster.

If the team decides to wash their hands of Chaz Green, then the only other backup tackle they have is their current swing-guy, Cameron Fleming. And with Fleming on a one-year rental, Dallas needs to have someone around for the future. They team is real strong with their top six guys so they can afford to look to the future with their last OL spot and back pocket a guy like Edwards.

The Cowboys stashed Edwards on the practice squad and that could pay off. Chaz Green’s career in Dallas is still breathing, but the plug can be pulled anytime.

Image_28.png

DeMarcus Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford are the starting bookend defensive ends for this team. Last year’s first-round draft pick Taco Charlton and veteran free agent Kony Ealy will serve as nice rotational pass rushers for the team. Not much is expected out of rookie Dorance Armstrong as it’s going to take time for him to develop, but thanks to their depth the team has the luxury of being patient with him.

While Charles Tapper has flashed some good upside when healthy, his history of unavailability makes it hard to justify hanging on to a roster spot for him. If he has a good camp and makes a few highlights going against backup offensive linemen, it could boost his value enough for the Cowboys to consider trading him away.

Image_29.png

It’s really tough to get a feel for how the future of the Cowboys interior defensive line will play out, but you have to be intrigued by it’s possibility. Both David Irving and Maliek Collins are talented players, but neither has been practicing for different reasons. Collins is dealing with an injured foot and Irving is trying to get in better playing condition. With both these players unavailable, that has opened the door for Datone Jones and Jihad Ward. They are former first- and second-round picks respectively and the Cowboys are hoping that a change in scenery will help cash in on their upside. Ward has had a strong camp so far and people are excited about this new toy. As for Jones, his name isn’t showing up on very many roster predictions, but we have mentioned him a couple times as an under the radar player for the Cowboys.

The defense needs to hang on to one true 1-tech defensive tackle. Richard Ash could make a case for that spot, but right now I give the edge to Brian Price.

image_WR.png

I love the starters and I love the depth. The star potential of Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, and Leighton Vander Esch is all there and just dependent of some good health and the proper development of the up-and-coming rookie. It should be interesting to watch Smith and LVE battle it out for playing time.

It’s also going to be interesting to see how the team fills out the depth at the position. There are some solid players led by Damien Wilson (who is in the last year of his contract) and free agent Joe Thomas. The final spot should come down to who impresses the most - Justin March-Lillard or Chris Covington. March-Lillard has been playing well so far, so he’s in the early lead, but the Cowboys have a knack for sniffing out players with the right attributes at the linebacker position. I’m going against the grain and rolling with the rookie for that last spot.

Image_30.png

It’s really easy to get excited about the starting cornerbacks. With the news of Byron Jones adjusting well to his position change, this could be an area of strength for Dallas in 2018. Not only is the starting unit pretty stout, but the depth is solid as well. Anthony Brown struggled last season in a starting role, but performed better when he was relegated to the bench.

Marquez White’s name has shown up on a lot of roster predictions, but that could just be an overreaction to the fact he’s got the prototypical build that new defensive backs coach Kris Richard looks for. White still has to get his footwork down and develop as a reliable corner and so far in camp it’s been crickets. Another year on the practice squad could be in his future.

What White doesn’t have yet, undrafted free agent Kam Kelly might demonstrate, and that could earn him the last spot on the roster. Look for the Cowboys to go deep here to counter going lean at safety. They have a handful of CBs that could play the safety position if needed.

Image_31.png

The Cowboys haven’t added any new safeties this offseason. With Earl Thomas still in Seattle, the team appears to be rolling with the guys they had last year. The coaching staff still has a lot of faith in the upside of these young players and the only thing they could end up needing is more time. Don’t be surprised if all three of these guys - Jeff Heath, Xavier Woods, and Kavon Frazier make a nice jump in 2018.

Image_26.png

Just some savvy veterans who are among the best at what they do.

Which players not on the list do you think make the roster?

Continue reading...

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Noah Brown vs. Thompson will be an interesting camp battle

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thought Austin was working at wr?

Not sure Bo makes this team, definately not on the game day roster. Backups need to play store. Rico is another Longshot as 4TE's will be a luxury we can't afford. Might need the extra spot or 2 to bolster the DLine.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Too many rookies on the list, guys like Kelly, Covington and C. Wilson are borderline as it is, barring lots of injuries to guys like Lee, T. Crawford, etc. or T. Williams being suspended/still being injured. Team already has tons of young guys....

JustChip

Reaction score
Not sure they carry 3 QBs. White might be a practice squad candidate. They can limit the possibility of him getting poached by paying him the vet minimum even if he's on the PS.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not sure they carry 3 QBs. White might be a practice squad candidate. They can limit the possibility of him getting poached by paying him the vet minimum even if he's on the PS.

Yes, with Irving out for 4 games, J. Smith apparently going to try and play without the brace, Collins and T. Williams recovering from surgery, not knowng that C. Williams can handle the LG position, etc., I think they will load up with extra guys at one or more areas like OL, DL and LB, meaning they will take a chance on keeping just 2 qbs. Dak is big, strong and young, likely he can stay on the field, and if not Rush has shown something.

Besides, if Dak goes down, probably neither Rush nor White can fill Dak's shoes, due to lack of experience if nothing else, so having 3 qbs isn't going to help much as far as winning games...

JustChip

Reaction score
Yes, with Irving out for 4 games, J. Smith apparently going to try and play without the brace, Collins and T. Williams recovering from surgery, not knowng that C. Williams can handle the LG position, etc., I think they will load up with extra guys at one or more areas like OL, DL and LB, meaning they will take a chance on keeping just 2 qbs. Dak is big, strong and young, likely he can stay on the field, and if not Rush has shown something.

Besides, if Dak goes down, probably neither Rush nor White can fill Dak's shoes, due to lack of experience if nothing else, so having 3 qbs isn't going to help much as far as winning games...
Yep. I think they'll probably go extra DL. They seemingly have an overload of good prospects and need more time to identify who to keep.

Dak gets blasted on here by so many (or maybe it's not that many, but they're just so vocal), but let him go down and see what happens. I like Cooper, but it's highly unlikely he'll step in and play at a level that doesn't wreck the season. It was truly special what he was able to do in 2016 and probably not repeatable by another rookie (I know, Cooper isn't a rookie, but he's essentially one since he's not played other than some PS action).

Sydla

Reaction score
Thought Austin was working at wr?

Not sure Bo makes this team, definately not on the game day roster. Backups need to play store. Rico is another Longshot as 4TE's will be a luxury we can't afford. Might need the extra spot or 2 to bolster the DLine.

I feel like people are pigeon holing Austin as a TB so they can carry an extra WR, namely Cedric Wilson.

I am not sure the team quite sees it that way. Austin will likely be one of the 6 WRs that they carry. They will carry 4 RBs - a FB and then Elliott, Scarborough, Smith.

They will also go 6 DEs IMO, especially if Gregory shows he can play.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I feel like people are pigeon holing Austin as a TB so they can carry an extra WR, namely Cedric Wilson.

I am not sure the team quite sees it that way. Austin will likely be one of the 6 WRs that they carry. They will carry 4 RBs - a FB and then Elliott, Scarborough, Smith.

They will also go 6 DEs IMO, especially if Gregory shows he can play.[/QUOTE7

I thought Austin would be 1 of the rb's we keep. Though I'm sure he will line up every where. He's better as a rb than pure wr. I like bo but he isn't good enough to let Zeke sit on the bench so he gets carries and Bo has no ST value. Maybe they can teach him a role on ST.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

I think if Scarborough stays healthy he'll be a p.s. guy, might supplant Smith if he really does well, who would be cut. Given the difficulties last year with LT and LG, I'm thinking they will carry an extra OL guy.

But a lot depends on injuries...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It a team claims him, he is automatically theirs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thw concept of Austin at RB originally came from the team.

JustChip

Reaction score
It a team claims him, he is automatically theirs.
Right. But I don't think he has to sign with them, I believe he still has the right to remain with Dallas on the PS. I was thinking if he's already making the vet minimum, there's no monetary incentive for him to sign.

I'm not smart enough to think that on my own. I read it somewhere recently. I think it was a Commander blog where someone asked about PS rules and processes and they used a 'skins PS as an example of that. Doesn't mean it's right, after all, it is the internet.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Rico is done like dinner. Don’t see him making the 53 unless one of the three ahead of him get hurt

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. But I don't think he has to sign with them, I believe he still has the right to remain with Dallas on the PS. I was thinking if he's already making the vet minimum, there's no monetary incentive for him to sign.

I'm not smart enough to think that on my own. I read it somewhere recently. I think it was a Commander blog where someone asked about PS rules and processes and they used a 'skins PS as an example of that. Doesn't mean it's right, after all, it is the internet.

No, if claimed on waivers, he automatically becomes the property of the team that claims him.

If he passes through waivers unclaimed, then he is free to sign with any team as a practice squad player.

Once on a team's practice squad he can't be signed to another team's practice squad. He can be signed to another team's 53 man roster; however, it is his option. This is where the extra pay can get some players to stay on the PS and turn down an offer to sign on another team's 53.

Summary: If another team claims a player on waivers, then there is nothing the player or the Cowboys can do to stop it.

JustChip

Reaction score
No, if claimed on waivers, he automatically becomes the property of the team that claims him.

If he passes through waivers unclaimed, then he is free to sign with any team as a practice squad player.

Once on a team's practice squad he can't be signed to another team's practice squad. He can be signed to another team's 53 man roster; however, it is his option. This is where the extra pay can get some players to stay on the PS and turn down an offer to sign on another team's 53.

Summary: If another team claims a player on waivers, then there is nothing the player or the Cowboys can do to stop it.

Sorry, I missed that you were talking about waivers. The bold was what I was addressing, not waivers.

Ahhh, the light bulb just went on - he has to clear waivers before we can put him on the PS. Wasn't thunkin about that. Was only thinking once he was on the PS we could pay him enough to disadvantage for him to consent to being poached from the PS.

How likely do you think it is that White get's a waiver claim?

Sydla

Reaction score
Thw concept of Austin at RB originally came from the team.

The concept of using him in the running game came from the team. The concept of making him a TB and carrying him on the roster as a TB allowing them to carry 6 other WRs appears to be fan fantasy.