News: BTB: Four reasons Cowboys FO is handling Dak Prescott contract correctly

Motorola

Reaction score
Unless we are sitting at the table with the fo and Dak/agent, we really don't know what's going on. Nothing more than speculation. Anybody's guess. Might as well just relax and let the story unfold. Then we can write about how stupid, greedy, and lacking in foresight all parties have been.
As long as the various Cowboys media and fan sites continue to churn out 'inside sources' and 'rumors' that state contract numbers (annual salary, numbers what is guaranteed, etc.) --many will not relax and let it play out. Reporters will continue to opine about what's going on without any concrete basis, thus the fans will feed off that info to continue to speculate.
One narrative that I've seen pop up recently --and has been increasingly reposted on threads --is that a deal was struck, but Prescott was not available to sign before the July 15th deadline. (?) Goes along with now standard account that $40 million is the annual salary wanted by Prescott.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Interesting article.

Nope. Signing Dak 2 years ago would have cost $25M per against the cap.

I have never seen evidence that Dak would have signed any contract in the last 2 years at any price.

What Dak *did* cost two years ago is 2mil, quite a large savings on your hypothetical 25mil.

Tip - If you want to make an argument that we "should have signed Dak", don't start your hypothetical scenario on the year that we paid Dak 2mil instead.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The FO gets constant hate from everyone based off the contracts they give people. Here we have a player who wants to bend the FO over, they refuse to bend and the hate still rolls in.

It has always been about money. That's not the reason the contract wasn't signed by all indications. It was the length. Dak wants to hit FA again right as the cap is expected to go way up due to TV contracts. Dak has no loyalty to the Cowboys. He's looking out for himself first (which no one can really blame him for, it just doesn't look good in a team sport). I think he'd be happier making $40m/yr and having a losing record than $30m/yr and having a chance at winning.

Flamma

Reaction score
How did the Eagles do with signing Wentz to his huge contract early? Wentz took that fool Lurie for every penny he could. Same with Goff. Now look at Wentz and Goff. Both overpaid and performing poorly. Both the Eagles and Rams looking for an exit strategy.

The logic behind signing a QB after his 3rd year is sound. But not without risk. You have either 1 or 2 years left on their rookie deal before the extension begins. That's a positive in two different ways. The first, you can dump signing bonus money on their 4th year which is low enough to absorb a lot of it. Secondly, you have one or two years for the cap to rise before getting into the big cap hits. But if you wait for the player to play out his rookie deal, you have to give them a completely new deal, similar to the Byron Jones situation. If you now pay the player market value, the cap hit is going to be considerably worse. No way around it. And yes Rockport, I read the entire article. It was fairly good until they got to the percentages. Now I understand what they're saying, I just don't believe it will play out in the Cowboys favor.

Flamma

Reaction score
A 3 year deal should be off the table. Worse case scenario is a 4 year deal. A better case scenario is a 5 year contract. Best case scenario is he plays for Detroit.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Lol. Wentz was paid after ONE good season (2nd year in NFL). Now he stinks & is a locker room cancer. While the best quarterback in the 2016 draft has yet to be signed!o_O

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Lol. Wentz was paid after ONE good season (2nd year in NFL). Now he stinks & is a locker room cancer. While the best quarterback in the 2016 draft has yet to be signed!o_O

He had a nice contract that he turned down. I hope they can work out something that is fair to both sides and doesn’t take up too much percentage of the cap.

quickccc

Reaction score
Regardless of the reason, Jerry fumbled this entire deal by continuing to wait until the 11th hour and prioritizing players less impactful to the organization.

I think he's pissed that Dak isn't bending over backwards to make this an easy transaction and Jerry demands that loyalty from people he employs. If you listen to Jerry discuss the extension on the radio he jokingly doesn't even sound like he cares that Dak has all the leverage.

Bottom line, Dak should take this old fool for every penny he's worth because if he couldn't field a championship team around him making 1M salary, he damn sure ain't doing it making a QB deal that equates to the current market.

Stephen handles the team roster finances and team cap,.. not Jerry :rolleyes:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Stephen handles the team roster finances and team cap,.. not Jerry :rolleyes:
Maybe when negotiating with players like Joe Looney and Anthony Brown.

A potential market setting QB contract? Better believe Jerry's fingerprints are all over it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The only interesting part of the article was QBs taking up roughly 18% of the cap. I hear the cap is going to be around $180M this year. So 18-19% of that is $32-34M. Problem is that the cap went down when all the other contracts on the team expected it to continue to go up. One has to restructure numerous contracts just to fit Dak in at $32M. Over $35M and it gets harder and harder to work the numbers without risking long term competitiveness.

Jerry thinks the endorsement money that automatically comes with whoever is the Cowboy QB should be factored into the equation. I agree with Jerry. Dak gets $7-9M for endorsements by being the Cowboy QB. Sorry, he won't get that money as a Colt.

Also, the injury is another big thing none of us have any information on. We all think and hope all is well. When can he start running full speed and cutting and throwing? If not before the beginning of FA or the draft, then there will be minimal to no competition for his services. Sorry, no one is going to throw $100M guaranteed based on a best guess from a doctor. Need to see proof of running and cutting and throwing before signing him. So, Jerry is competing with himself for Dak's services right now. If Dak is not completely healthy until after FA and the draft, well the market will have dried up for QBs wanting $35-40M/year.

Hard to sign long term to $40M/yr a QB who just had a compound fracture and dislocated ankle and likely can't pass a physical at the beginning of FA.

Dak had plenty of chances to sign a fair long term contract. He did not. That is on him. Now he has to hope Jerry will cave like he did with Zeke. Big decision for Jerry. I would let Dak test the market and let me match his best offer if I so choose. Other than that, I would have to let him walk. Bottom line - no team is offering Dak more than Jerry. How much is fair to the team and best for all long term is the question.
Again, the first year of Dak's new contract will not have a cap hig of 32-34M. If you would've read the article you would have seen that although I've mentioned it hear on numerous occasions and the haters never respond. They can't.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Again, the first year of Dak's new contract will not have a cap hit of 32-34M. If you would've read the article you would have seen that although I've mentioned it here on numerous occasions and the haters never respond. They can't.
call him a troll daddy.

quickccc

Reaction score
Maybe when negotiating with players like Joe Looney and Anthony Brown.

A potential market setting QB contract? Better believe Jerry's fingerprints are all over it.

While Stephen has his gloves all over it. Jerry is involved, but Stephen is the lead voice at this stage.
If it were totally up to Jerry, Dak would be the 2nd highest paid QB in NFL and we'd be in the red with salary cap, because Jerry would've
gone on a spending spree with signing and re-signing average players
A lot people don't understand how son Stephen is really handling the bulk of the Cowboys operations when it comes to financial planning.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Interesting article.

Nope. Signing Dak 2 years ago would have cost $25M per against the cap. Now it will be closer to $40M per. That would have given the Cowboys more cap space now and even more after the new TV deals are done.
He wasn't going to sign that. Why do people say this?