News: BTB: Four reasons Cowboys FO is handling Dak Prescott contract correctly

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This article leaves out the most important fact...which is that they got him for a year at $31m. Now if they sign him for 4x$40m, the extension is really 5x$36m

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Again, the first year of Dak's new contract will not have a cap hig of 32-34M. If you would've read the article you would have seen that although I've mentioned it hear on numerous occasions and the haters never respond. They can't.

I read the article. Yes, the team can lower the cap hit for 2021 only if they raise the cap hit the following years. This gets very difficult with a 4 year contract. Say they sign Dak to a 4 year $160M contract with $100M signing bonus. The signing bonus spread out over 4 years comes to $25M per year. Assume no salary for 2021. That means $60M has to be spread out the last 3 years at $20M per year. So you have a cap hit of $25M for 2021, $45M for $2022, $45M for 2023, and $45M for 2024. Need to continuously restructure and extend. Not wise. Especially when the cap is going to be $180M for 2021 and 2022 is looking almost as bad. At some point it will all blow up just like the Saints and the Eagles are about to experience.

Numbers are for example and simplified.

Try fitting 51 players into a $180M cap. Not an easy task.

Qcard

Reaction score
Part 2 of my post.

3) No harm in waiting
This section of the BTB article is so wishy-washy, so back and forth.
Refers to valuable players added -'good pieces'- and that the OC is a keeper -'up and coming' ..and that Prescott is a positive fit with both. There's even an acknowledgement that the QB's 2nd year was a setback-- but he has improved the following two seasons. Yes, his fifth season was cut short due injury - but those first four games in 2020 Prescott was performing at a record setting pace.
Four and 1/4 quarter seasons as the starter - but still indecisive about offering a 2nd contract? (The season-ending injury giving the FO pause?)

4) The timing
This fourth reason is rendered moot by the information in its following text.
A. Broadcast rights don't expire until 2022. If the league and all existing and new parties can negotiate throughout the 2021 calendar year for deals, Prescott is going to want just a three - year deal now so renegotiatons can happen in 2024.
B. 2021 cap number will be set early February because the franchise and transition tags timeframe begin later that month.

In my opinion - the holdup is about what Prescott wants how much annually and how long - and the Cowboys holding firm that the annual is too high and the length is too short. I leave it others to put forth exact numbers. (including guaranteed money\ guaranteed on signing).
If March rolls around and no contract is agreed to - Cowboys should apply non-exclusive tag and see what shakes out during the off-season.
So in summation the Cowboys should apply the lowest Franchise Tag Option “non-exclusive” to their most valuable Free Agent :facepalm: .

Whilst your break down of the points is admirable, the simple fact that the Cowboys can renegotiate any contract at any time makes every point moot....

Case in point Carson Wentz issue....let’s revisit in 6 months.

ICP

Reaction score
So tired of hearing/reading about the Dak situation. Whatever the Dallas Front Office does with regarding Dak, I have the utmost confidence that it will end up being the wrong move.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I read the article. Yes, the team can lower the cap hit for 2021 only if they raise the cap hit the following years. This gets very difficult with a 4 year contract. Say they sign Dak to a 4 year $160M contract with $100M signing bonus. The signing bonus spread out over 4 years comes to $25M per year. Assume no salary for 2021. That means $60M has to be spread out the last 3 years at $20M per year. So you have a cap hit of $25M for 2021, $45M for $2022, $45M for 2023, and $45M for 2024. Need to continuously restructure and extend. Not wise. Especially when the cap is going to be $180M for 2021 and 2022 is looking almost as bad. At some point it will all blow up just like the Saints and the Eagles are about to experience.

Numbers are for example and simplified.

Try fitting 51 players into a $180M cap. Not an easy task.
Every contract is front loaded with a signing bonus spread out over the length of the contract. The cap hit goes up each year of the contract as does the salary cap. It talks about this in the article.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Interesting article.

Nope. Signing Dak 2 years ago would have cost $25M per against the cap. Now it will be closer to $40M per. That would have given the Cowboys more cap space now and even more after the new TV deals are done.
I am a big supporter of the team signing Dak now...however, two years ago, I wasn't supporting resigning him, as I had some concerns over his mechanics, late throws, and few other things. I argued at the time that I would like to see him improve on those, prove he is viable top 10 QB before handing him a contract, since giving a large contract and being wrong has much worse impact than paying a little extra. I rather be sure, than sorry and given his performance and improvement that we saw, I think he is now undoubtedly a top 10 QB and worth the money...with that said, 25 (some said 28) was a viable number back in 2018, based on QB market and cap at the time, however, the market has changed and cap moved up (except in 2021, because of covid).....3 years from now, when QBs are in the 45-55 range, we will say 40M is a good number...its the way of the NFL QB market.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Interesting article.

Nope. Signing Dak 2 years ago would have cost $25M per against the cap. Now it will be closer to $40M per. That would have given the Cowboys more cap space now and even more after the new TV deals are done.
If Dak signed for 25m per several years ago you'd probably see him or his agent complaining or holding out for a new deal.

There's no real way to get around underpaying a significant player unless it's a rookie deal....and finding one of those who is ready to play immediately is reserved for teams who win zero or one game a year.

Again, Dallas is built to beat up on the bad teams, but can't get past the better ones.

The 17 game season is the only thing preventing this team from perpetual 8-8.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Every contract is front loaded with a signing bonus spread out over the length of the contract. The cap hit goes up each year of the contract as does the salary cap. It talks about this in the article.

The salary cap is rumored to be around $180M for 2021 according to insiders. Did your article mention that?

The salary cap went up every year recently until now. It may drop $20M from 2020 to 2021. We will find out in a few weeks. No one knows what will happen in 2021. Will it be a repeat of 2020 with few fans in attendance? Will the tv ratings continue to fall?

The assumption of an increasing cap turned out to be false for 2020. Teams did not plan for this. They signed contracts with a wrong assumption. What is the assumption for 2022?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Interesting article.

not even half close to the truth, his agent and himself already had this plan in mind and diod NOT come to the DC saying sign us now and save..he would have wanted 30+ even back then..theres not one person on record saying dak would have went with 28 per after year 3 , it would have vbeen done..the agent and player had numbers in mind and years and i bet the entire time was a short player friendly deal and that why he wasn't signed.

Facts: dak was offered the 3rd highest deal last off season and wouldn't sign over years..he planned this to T and was going to play hardball and here we are..

this has zero to do with the FO as they have made valid, very good offers to dak 2 straight offseason only to have player and agent balk at it..

Ironic many deals signed since them were big but also allowed the Fo some room ie team friendly and none took 3 years to sign..why? exactly the why is the agent and player to answer not the Jonses, they throw money around often..this is squarely on daks team Period..tired of discussing it..I say team because his family are also in this, see the idiots comments online..

the Jones can be faulted for a lot of things but this deal is not one of them,, i would have done the same thing, dak has not earned and open blank check squarely on his play ie results say it all..yards dont =wins and this team needs more players ie on defense already made this a Dak friendly offense(started with AC in 2008 and now hes got lamb, Biadsz and others) and if the FO decides to wait for better deal to be accepted, so be it..

blueblood70

Reaction score
If Dak signed for 25m per several years ago you'd probably see him or his agent complaining or holding out for a new deal.

There's no real way to get around underpaying a significant player unless it's a rookie deal....and finding one of those who is ready to play immediately is reserved for teams who win zero or one game a year.

Again, Dallas is built to beat up on the bad teams, but can't get past the better ones.

The 17 game season is the only thing preventing this team from perpetual 8-8.
:hammer: exactly never an option:popcorn:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like BTB because they try to talk real football and not just click bait you to death. They are basically like if the top 10 posters here wrote articles. Not always accurate but always well-intentioned and meant to drive actual football conversation.

Also let's not ignore that Danny describes the challenge here as nearly impossible. He's searching for positives in a minefield.

All that said let's break down his 4 points.

1. The Rolling Cap Window: This is accurate if overstated. Year 1 of any deal is the most amenable to massaging. A lower deal in year 3 is likely less flexible than a larger deal in year 1. All that said I'm sure they could have restructured or extended Dak in year 3 here to lower the hit had they seen fit.
2. Playing through contract is what matters: This is wholly accurate. Being caught dead wrong about a player be it Carson Wentz or Jay Ratliff is where the cap rises up to meet you in a vicious way. All that said you had 3 full years to judge a guy's play level and character. There wasn't much else to find out except if he can win a Super Bowl and you didn't put the pieces n place around him to check that box.
3. No harm in waiting: This one is correct IF you ONLY mean because you retain his rights via franchise tag. It is wholly inaccurate if you mean no financial harm came of it. IT has already and it only gets worse as each franchise QB signs a deal. As noted during point 1 the sooner you sing the sooner you are surpassed by others.
4. The Timing: I absolutely agree here. You know the cap will rise significantly in 2023 and likely recover in 2022. You not only have an additional regular season game you have now expanded the playoffs. The broadcast rights are going for far MORE not less. So this is the time you can afford to backload deals and allow low hits in the first 2 seasons. With the June 2nd rule even with a massive dead cap hit for a year 4 release you'd recoup the large year 4 base and then eat much of that hit in year 5. That's 2025....

Once we knew half the team was injured in 2020 it doesn't hurt that you paid Dak 31.4M. Had the team been healthier it certainly would have been nice to use about 10M of that to add a real safety or DT help but again you just recouped 4 solid comp picks for being cheap in a year where you had so many injuries you had no chance anyways. Hindsight says yes you were better off to save the cheap Dak year of a long term deal for 2021.

cern

Reaction score
Beautiful day in west texas. Not thinking about dak. Thinking about taking the dogs out and shooting some quail. I'll leave dealing for dak in stephen's capable hands.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The salary cap is rumored to be around $180M for 2021 according to insiders. Did your article mention that?

The salary cap went up every year recently until now. It may drop $20M from 2020 to 2021. We will find out in a few weeks. No one knows what will happen in 2021. Will it be a repeat of 2020 with few fans in attendance? Will the tv ratings continue to fall?

The assumption of an increasing cap turned out to be false for 2020. Teams did not plan for this. They signed contracts with a wrong assumption. What is the assumption for 2022?
Yes THE FIRST YEAR OF DAK'S CONTRACT! Then it will go up and as the article said when they sign the new TV deal it will go up dramatically.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The biggest reason you pay Dak is he has gotten better every single year and is only 27.

The guy is a great leader, the lockerroom loves him and he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. Letting him walk would be the biggest mistake Jerry ever made.

foofighters

Reaction score
From Blogging the Boys....

Four reasons why the Cowboys front office is handling the Dak Prescott contract situation correctly

It may be easier to find the holy grail than it is to find reasons why the Cowboys front office hasn’t signed Dak yet, but today we give it a go.

Dak Prescott enters the new season as the top ranked free agent in the league and for good reason. During his last two years, which consists of just 21 games due to his injury-shortened 2020 season, Prescott has helped the Cowboys offense rack up 9,344 total yards. That’s tops in the league during that time window.

In a league where having a good quarterback is so vital to the success of your team, the Cowboys have been extremely fortunate to see this 2016 fourth-round draft pick turn out to be as good as he is. And with so many teams struggling to find their quarterback, it only further emphasizes the importance of Prescott to this organization. That is why many fans are befuddled by the front office’s inability to get Dak signed to a long-term deal.

As more time passes, more frustration grows as it becomes more and more clear that Prescott is, without question, this team’s quarterback. Even Jerry Jones himself has come out and said, “I don’t know how you could have any more leverage,” which brings up the $40 million dollar question - why hasn’t Prescott been re-signed?

Read much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...the-dak-prescott-contract-situation-correctly
Here's another question, does what Tom Brady has been able to accomplish in TB actually help Dak's cause? Tom has probably solidified how important the QB position is even if he's the GOAT.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Here's another question, does what Tom Brady has been able to accomplish in TB actually help Dak's cause? Tom has probably solidified how important the QB position is even if he's the GOAT.
He had solidified himself as the GOAT a few years ago. And the Bucs didn't just add Brady to their roster but a whole slew of other players and they had a solid core already because of all the high draft choices they had over the past few years. Plus they added a new coach 2 years ago.

foofighters

Reaction score
He had solidified himself as the GOAT a few years ago. And the Bucs didn't just add Brady to their roster but a whole slew of other players and they had a solid core already because of all the high draft choices they had over the past few years. Plus they added a new coach 2 years ago.
Yep, I agree with all that. The same could be said of our offensive skill players. The only thing we don't have is a defense and we have questions on our Oline.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
From Blogging the Boys....

Four reasons why the Cowboys front office is handling the Dak Prescott contract situation correctly

It may be easier to find the holy grail than it is to find reasons why the Cowboys front office hasn’t signed Dak yet, but today we give it a go.

Dak Prescott enters the new season as the top ranked free agent in the league and for good reason. During his last two years, which consists of just 21 games due to his injury-shortened 2020 season, Prescott has helped the Cowboys offense rack up 9,344 total yards. That’s tops in the league during that time window.

In a league where having a good quarterback is so vital to the success of your team, the Cowboys have been extremely fortunate to see this 2016 fourth-round draft pick turn out to be as good as he is. And with so many teams struggling to find their quarterback, it only further emphasizes the importance of Prescott to this organization. That is why many fans are befuddled by the front office’s inability to get Dak signed to a long-term deal.

As more time passes, more frustration grows as it becomes more and more clear that Prescott is, without question, this team’s quarterback. Even Jerry Jones himself has come out and said, “I don’t know how you could have any more leverage,” which brings up the $40 million dollar question - why hasn’t Prescott been re-signed?

Read much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...the-dak-prescott-contract-situation-correctly
4 reasons:
  1. Jerry
  2. Dumbo
  3. GM
  4. Jones