BTB: Gil Brandt ranked his top five Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks, Prescott was three and Romo 5

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Gil Brandt ranked his top five Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks, Dak Prescott was three and Tony Romo five
Legendary Gil Brandt weighs in on his former team’s quarterbacks.

• By RJ Ochoa
  • on February 19, 2020 4:30 pm
637339078.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

You would be hard-pressed to find someone in the history of the world that knows more about football, and specifically the Dallas Cowboys, than Pro Football hall of Famer Gil Brandt. When Mr. Brandt speaks, people listen. He remains one of the most influential voices in the NFL community and has one of the greatest scouting eyes that the game has ever seen.

• Roger Staubach
    • Troy Aikman
    • Danny White
    • Tony Romo
Mr. Brandt has both Prescott and Romo in his top five, but the former at third and the latter at fifth.

Spots one and two are taken by Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, respectively, and Danny White even makes an appearance at number four. It truly is fascinating that Prescott would not only outrank Romo just four seasons in, but Danny White, too. It says a lot about how impressive Dak Prescott’s career has been to this point in time.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...cks-dak-prescott-was-three-and-tony-romo-five

Let the fun begin...:cool:

:popcorn:

What the heck does Gil Brandt know about NFL talent evaluation? :muttley:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I will start by saying I like Dak as a QB and feel that a team can be successful with him. Having said that it is insane to put him ahead of Romo at this point. Romo spent almost 10 years well inside the top 10 in passer rating. Dak was inside the top 10 his first year when he was not being asked to do a lot and was a serious running threat. Since then he has been 18th, 14th and 10th. He has been quite simply average in his passing effectiveness.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's some lofty comparisons. He's gotta get some pelts on the wall before going further up the list. At least NFCCGs and or SBs.
Gil Brandt ranked his top five Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks, Dak Prescott was three and Tony Romo five

• By RJ Ochoa
637339078.jpg.0.jpg

You would be hard-pressed to find someone in the history of the world that knows more about football, and specifically the Dallas Cowboys, than Pro Football hall of Famer Gil Brandt. When Mr. Brandt speaks, people listen. He remains one of the most influential voices in the NFL community and has one of the greatest scouting eyes that the game has ever seen.

• Roger Staubach
    • Troy Aikman
    • Danny White
    • Tony Romo
Mr. Brandt has both Prescott and Romo in his top five, but the former at third and the latter at fifth.

Spots one and two are taken by Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, respectively, and Danny White even makes an appearance at number four. It truly is fascinating that Prescott would not only outrank Romo just four seasons in, but Danny White, too. It says a lot about how impressive Dak Prescott’s career has been to this point in time.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...cks-dak-prescott-was-three-and-tony-romo-five

That's some lofty comparisons. He's gotta get some pelts on the wall before getting that high up the list. At least some NFCCGs and SBs.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I will start by saying I like Dak as a QB and feel that a team can be successful with him. Having said that it is insane to put him ahead of Romo at this point. Romo spent almost 10 years well inside the top 10 in passer rating. Dak was inside the top 10 his first year when he was not being asked to do a lot and was a serious running threat. Since then he has been 18th, 14th and 10th. He has been quite simply average in his passing effectiveness.
You call a 99.7 passer rating for Dak as "average"? And that's because his receivers led the league in drops (51)! Imagine if they had caught half of them (26)? Dak's passer rating would have been well above 110. But you're calling a 99.7 passer rating ... "average"?

:facepalm:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I LOVED Danny White as a kid.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I could appreciate what a NOT good QB he actually was.

Interception machine.

Him being on this list and Meredith not is ridiculous.
Go look at the stats of some of the HOF QB's from back then. Many of them were INT machines relative to today's QB's. These are lietime stats from just a few notable/familiar QB's:

Staubach: 153 TD - 109 INT
Aikman: 165 TD - 141 INT
Danny White: 155 TD - 132 INT
Dandy Don: 135 TD - 111 INT
Tarkenton: 342 TD - 266 INT
Bradshaw: 212 TD - 210 INT
Baugh: 187 TD - 203 INT

When your receivers can be mugged all the way down the field, and there's practically no such thing as roughing the QB, you're going to throw a lot more dangerous passes than has to be thrown in today's pansy (relatively speaking) league. When the league changed the rules to prevent DB's from breathing on a receiver or DLinemen from touching a QB, the stats changed along with the rules. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but for the era Danny White played in, he was certainly not an INT machine (and he was a pretty darned good punter, to boot).

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Go look at the stats of some of the HOF QB's from back then. Many of them were INT machines relative to today's QB's. These are lietime stats from just a few notable/familiar QB's:

Staubach: 153 TD - 109 INT
Aikman: 165 TD - 141 INT
Danny White: 155 TD - 132 INT
Dandy Don: 135 TD - 111 INT
Tarkenton: 342 TD - 266 INT
Bradshaw: 212 TD - 210 INT
Baugh: 187 TD - 203 INT

When your receivers can be mugged all the way down the field, and there's practically no such thing as roughing the QB, you're going to throw a lot more dangerous passes than has to be thrown in today's pansy (relatively speaking) league. When the league changed the rules to prevent DB's from breathing on a receiver or DLinemen from touching a QB, the stats changed along with the rules. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but for the era Danny White played in, he was certainly not an INT machine (and he was a pretty darned good punter, to boot).
:hammer:

Polkton31

Reaction score
The comments about Gil Brandt are just nonsense. If the guy had said, "Dak doesn't even make the top twenty" the anti-Dak crowd would be singing his praises and saying how intelligent the guy is. But... Since he says, "Dak is number 3" well... the guy is old, senile, and in Stage 5 Dementia. Whether or not you agree with the list... doesn't mean you have to attack a legend like Brandt. So... His opinion is different than yours... So what. I will say this though. Gil has been around football longer than most of the posters on this forum have been alive.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

• By RJ Ochoa
637339078.jpg.0.jpg

• Roger Staubach
    • Troy Aikman
    • Danny White
    • Tony Romo

Another Hall of Famer and legend solidly in favor of Dak. This will be great reading what the haters say about this. Give em a little rope......

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

• By RJ Ochoa
637339078.jpg.0.jpg

• Roger Staubach
    • Troy Aikman
    • Danny White
    • Tony Romo

I watched all of these guys play and couldn't agree more. And Dak has a chance to move up before his career is over.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Gil is 87. Bless his heart.

I have relatives that are in their late 80s. They throw trash down the laundry shoot, put detergent in the dryer, and leave the oven on.

We don't let them cross the street by themselves.
Bless your heart for being so ignorant.

dfense

Reaction score
Here's my question.

What is the criteria you are judging? Wins? playoff wins? clutch situations? stats? length of career?

Meredith had a 50% career comp % He couldn't even be a starter on a team today. Aikman career average per game was 199 yards. White, Staubach and Meredith all played in an era that wasn't as wide open and less games a season.

Here would be my list.

Staubach - 85-29 as a starter. 11-6 playoff record 2 SB wins, SB MVP, 6 Pro Bowls, 3rd in 4th quarter comebacks, 2nd in game winning drives.
Aikman - 94-71 as a starter. 11-4 playoff record 3 SB wins, SB MVP, 6 Pro Bowls, most attempts and completions, but also most picks.
Romo - 78-49 as a starter. 2-3 playoff record holds club records for TD's, yards, completion%, YPA, QBR, 1st in 4th quarter comebacks, 1st in game winning drives.

Seventy-five of Romo's 248 career touchdown passes came in the fourth quarter. That's three more fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Staubach and Aikman had combined.

These three stand apart from the rest of the field, at least for now.

Much harder to list the next two. I'd have to leave Meredith off the list. How Brandt has him over Romo is beyond me. Romo has TWICE as many yards passing, TWICE as many TD's as Meredith. Maybe Gil was a fan of North Dallas Forty or Willy Nelson's "turn out the lights the party's over." He did get to the championship game twice, but lost both, one by a bad pick at the end.

I'd have White and Dak a really close 4 and 5. I imagine Dak is going to pass him stat wise in the next year or so, White has the 5-5 playoff record, but Dak will overtake him in a several categories in the next couple years. Ironically, Dak is in the same boat Romo was in at this point in their careers. Pretty good, but still waiting for them to take the next step.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It feels weird comparing a QB with 4 years experience vs guys with near or over a decade of playing time. Not to mention those guys careers are done and their bodies of work are done. Dak isn't even on his 2nd contract yet.

If Dak were to retire tomorrow, does everyone think he is the 3rd best QB of all time for the Cowboys?
I mean it would feel weird putting him ahead Aikman and Roger. Romo doesn’t hold the same weight as those two.