News: BTB: How many active Dallas Cowboys are locks for the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
One- Zack Martin....
Two if Witten is still on the active roster (which he shouldn’t be)

Witten is on the roster until the new league year starts in March. That is when his contract expires, and he becomes a free agent. That is also why free agents signed during the time between the end of the previous season and the start of the new league year sign "Futures" contracts.

Golfzilla77

Reaction score
I don't see how Zeke gets in while he keeps taking himself out of the games when he gets a little gassed. He's got the talent, but he doesn't have the heart of a guy like Emmitt Smith. Emmitt didn't want anyone else to get any touches :)

kskboys

Reaction score
Martin
Smith
That's it
Barring injuries of course, Martin for sure. You forgot Witten.

I'm not sure Smith gets in. He's more of the "very very good type". Definitely not a lock.

If Zeke gets in shape and starts running like he can for the next 6 years, he could be a lock.

Reaction score
How many are locks?

Witten
Tyron Smith

Martin is not there yet, but he's getting close. But I think he will get there in a few years. If Fredrick can fully recover from his illness and get back to what he was for a few mores years, he may have a chance.

kskboys

Reaction score
Pro Football Reference has a Hall of Fame monitor, where they score players based on their history. The score isn't perfect, but it's largely in line with reality.

Zeke has the most recent rookie season of any RB on the list. Since 2010, it's Zeke, Gurley, and Bell. It looks like kind of a crappy decade for HOF RBs. Even go back to 2005, to give a decade 5 years to establish some kind of record. Peterson is really the only guy. Then McCoy and Lynch.

A real eye opener. Of legitimate HOF candidates from the last 15 years, only Lynch has a championship. I think that's what is keeping down the scores of recent top RBs. Once upon a time, RBs won championships.

Zeke's production has been on a fairly steady downward trend, both for yards/touch and yards/game.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00.htm

But Gurley and Bell dropped off even more. I'm doubtful of Zeke, Gurley, and Bell. But if it's somebody post 2010, Zeke looks like he's got the best chance.
I'm almost positive Bell and Gurley have taken themselves out of the conversation.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Barring injuries of course, Martin for sure. You forgot Witten.

I'm not sure Smith gets in. He's more of the "very very good type". Definitely not a lock.

If Zeke gets in shape and starts running like he can for the next 6 years, he could be a lock.

I just didnt put Witten because I dont expect him back

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't see how Zeke gets in while he keeps taking himself out of the games when he gets a little gassed. He's got the talent, but he doesn't have the heart of a guy like Emmitt Smith. Emmitt didn't want anyone else to get any touches :)
Yes, the caveat w/ Zeke is that he'd have to wake up and start paying attention to getting in shape. If he keeps coming in fat, he'll be known as one of the great underachievers of all time.

Reaction score
If Zeke completely changed to a Kobe-like mentality, he has the talent to get there.

But he's a serious partier and a pot head. Always out of shape at the beginning of seasons. I don't see him making it, even though he has the talent.

As for RB's, only Peterson is a lock. Kamara needs several more productive years. McCaffrey had a HOF season. Can he sustain it? Doubtful.

Gurley and Bell are already trending downwards. They won't make it unless they can resurrect their careers somehow.

kskboys

Reaction score
If Zeke completely changed to a Kobe-like mentality, he has the talent to get there.

But he's a serious partier and a pot head. Always out of shape at the beginning of seasons. I don't see him making it, even though he has the talent.

As for RB's, only Peterson is a lock. Kamara needs several more productive years. McCaffrey had a HOF season. Can he sustain it? Doubtful.

Gurley and Bell are already trending downwards. They won't make it unless they can resurrect their careers somehow.
You forgot the great unknown!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frank Gore. Passed up Sanders for 3rd on the all time rushing list this past season. Says he's going to keep playing at 36-37. He's this era's Emmit Smith. Absolute lock.

Reaction score
You forgot the great unknown!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frank Gore. Passed up Sanders for 3rd on the all time rushing list this past season. Says he's going to keep playing at 36-37. He's this era's Emmit Smith. Absolute lock.
Good point. I forgot about Gore. He will make it.

Creeper

Reaction score
Its too early to consider most of the Cowboys for the HoF. Witten will get in. Tyron Smith has a shot. Martin has a shot too. But for most of the players they will need more years added to their careers before they can be considered for the Hall.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Zack Martin and Jason Witten are the only ones with HOF resumes at this point.

Tyron Smith could be as well down the road. Zeke as well.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Absolutely shocked at all these people saying probably on Tyron smith ????? :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

He's getting 1st team all-decade later this year, 7x pro bowl, 1st/2nd team all-pro 4x, and 6x NFL top 100.

He's already had a better career than Orlando Pace........

Tyron once they announce the all-decade team will be an absolute lock for Canton....... (what's this forums obsession for under-rating him ? I swear half this forum thinks he's above average or just "very good")

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Witten, Zeke, Martin and Tyron for sure. Amari Cooper if he keeps this pace. Dak if he keeps this pace up and wins some playoff games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely shocked at all these people saying probably on Tyron smith ????? :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

He's getting 1st team all-decade later this year, 7x pro bowl, 1st/2nd team all-pro 4x, and 6x NFL top 100.

Tyron once they announce the all-decade team will be an absolute lock for Canton....... (what's this forums obsession for under-rating him ? I swear half this forum thinks he's above average or just "very good")
Yeah Tyron is more of a lock IMO than Martin due to the position he plays.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Yeah Tyron is more of a lock IMO than Martin due to the position he plays.
Witten and Tyron are the only 2 that if retired today would get in.

Zack will hopefully get in (assuming he keeps his play up) but like you said he's going to be handicapped by the position he plays. Alan Faneca has made the all-pro team 8x and is still waiting to get in on his 6th year being eligble

Tussinman

Reaction score
1st team all-decade at a premier position is NOT "very very good", that's called a lock....... (jesus christ what's this forum's obsession with under-rating Tyron ?)

conner01

Reaction score

He’s a lock today as well as witten
Martin will probably be but if anyone needs a few more years it’s not smith, he’s got 10 yrs