News: BTB: If not Earl Thomas, could the Cowboys pursue Landon Collins?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_11354182.0.jpg

He’s a different safety from Earl Thomas, but he’s much younger.

Earl Thomas and the Dallas Cowboys is a story that is not going to go away until the Cowboys either sign him, or he signs with someone else once free agency begins. But maybe there is a third scenario where the Cowboys decide that a different safety is the Big Apple of their eye. We already know the Cowboys plan to be active in the safety market during free agency. Jerry Jones has already stated as much. And it’s being assumed that Thomas is their first choice if they can reach a deal that takes into account his recent injury history and his age.

The Cowboys secondary has done solid work recently, but one thing they haven’t done is create turnovers. Earl Thomas is very good at creating turnovers so he definitely fits with that part of the equation. His age and recent injury history are the parts of the equation that don’t necessarily fit. The Cowboys have been disciplined in not giving big contracts to aging players recently and it has served them well. Their cap space this offseason is a testament to that.

So what if the Cowboys wanted to go a different way? What if they wanted to get a big-time safety that is entering the prime of his career? There just may be one available.

I’m told that Giants S Landon Collins cleaned out his locker today at the team facility and said his goodbyes to teammates, coaches and trainers. It doesn’t seem like Collins expects to be a Giant for much longer, per sources.

— ig: josinaanderson (@JosinaAnderson) February 20, 2019

Naturally, that report was immediately contradicted by the New York Post.

Attention those who care about the New York Giants: Landon Collins HAS NOT cleaned out his locker at the team facility.
Repeat: Landon Collins HAS NOT cleaned out his locker at the team facility.
Go about your business and have a nice day.

— Paul Schwartz (@NYPost_Schwartz) February 20, 2019

The Giants could franchise tag Collins, that would cost them a projected $11.25 million for 2019. Currently, there are reportedly no active negotiations between Collins and the Giants for a long-term deal. Why the Giants wouldn’t go all out to keep Collins is kind of a mystery. They have around $27 million in cap space according to Spotrac, so they could make it happen even though that would eat up a large chunk of their room.

Collins isn’t the back-end ball-hawk that Thomas is. He’s definitely more of an in-the-box threat that would likely have Xavier Woods playing a lot more centerfield than he currently does. On the other hand, Collins is a tackling machine.

I'm told the #Giants and S Landon Collins are not currently in active negotiations on a contract extension, per sources.

Collins, leads all DBs in tackles since entering the NFL in 2015 (428) and is 1 out of 4 safeties to make 3 Pro Bowls in the last 4 seasons.

— ig: josinaanderson (@JosinaAnderson) February 19, 2019

Spotrac has done a projected market value for Collins.

Market Value

• 5 yrs, $46,831,250
  • Avg. Salary: $9,366,250
  • NFL Rank: 156
  • FS Rank: 5

That projection seems a little on the low side, but probably in the ballpark. Last week we had an Earl Thomas projection that was four years and $40 million.

In all likelihood, the Giants would tag Collins rather than letting him walk in free agency. So this is probably wasted speculation. But, there is that chance that he could hit the market.

If Collins does happen to hit the market, and the long-term cost was in a similar range to Thomas, who would you rather have?

Continue reading...

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Of course we could pursue Collins, so could 31 other teams. Personally, I would take him over Thomas if for no other reason than age. My brain tells me neither will happen. Have we ever had an ex-Giant on our team who excelled?

Just say no to any former Skinnie including that Ha-Ha dude. Who calls a kid Ha-Ha anyway, mama Dix could have been a little kinder and called him Big instead of Ha-Ha Dix :laugh:

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Of course we could pursue Collins, so could 31 other teams. Personally, I would take him over Thomas if for no other reason than age. My brain tells me neither will happen. Have we ever had an ex-Giant on our team who excelled?

Just say no to any former Skinnie including that Ha-Ha dude. Who calls a kid Ha-Ha anyway, mama Dix could have been a little kinder and called him Big instead of Ha-Ha Dix :laugh:
Haven’t been a cowboy fan long? Phillipe Sparx was cb for this team in Parcells disaster 2004. Jerry had Antoine Winfield ready to come and sign with Bertrand Berry but parcells being the idiot he is and was wanted Sparx and chad Eaton instead

Berry went on to 14.5 sacks that yr in az. And Winfield went to Minnesota where he ended up with 21 of his 27 career interceptions. Dallas went to have one of the worst defenses in the nfl that yr. all because he wanted s 3-4 def. in 2003 Dallas had the #1 def

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Haven’t been a cowboy fan long? Phillipe Sparx was cb for this team in Parcells disaster 2004. Jerry had Antoine Winfield ready to come and sign with Bertrand Berry but parcells being the idiot he is and was wanted Sparx and chad Eaton instead

Berry went on to 14.5 sacks that yr in az. And Winfield went to Minnesota where he ended up with 21 of his 27 career interceptions. Dallas went to have one of the worst defenses in the nfl that yr. all because he wanted s 3-4 def. in 2003 Dallas had the #1 def

I slept through the 2000-2005 seasons. Parcells was about the only good thing that happened. Coaching carousel. QB carousel. Salary cap hell. Favorite memory, Emmitt breaking the record and Parcells bouncing Bryant 1 out of time for throwing a towel tantrum. Oh yeah, and Glover, nice player

So I guess the answer is no @ "having an ex-Giant player on our team who has excelled ":muttley:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I slept through the 2000-2005 seasons. Parcells was about the only good thing that happened. Coaching carousel. QB carousel. Salary cap hell. Favorite memory, Emmitt breaking the record and Parcells bouncing Bryant 1 out of time for throwing a towel tantrum. Oh yeah, and Glover, nice player

So I guess the answer is no @ "having an ex-Giant player on our team who has excelled ":muttley:
Think the assistant coaches were what kept this team in tact instead of parcells

Parcells didn’t want ware
Parcells wanted to cut Romo only reason he didn’t was carter was a coke head and got cut.
The 2004 disaster.
Bobby Carpenter
His handling of Larry Allen on team and once he left
Fighting with players like Antonio Bryant and a CB forgot his name but changed his game and destroyed what made him good during his rookie yr. left to the raiders I think and was never the same.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Think the assistant coaches were what kept this team in tact instead of parcells

Parcells didn’t want ware
Parcells wanted to cut Romo only reason he didn’t was carter was a coke head and got cut.
The 2004 disaster.
Bobby Carpenter
His handling of Larry Allen on team and once he left
Fighting with players like Antonio Bryant and a CB forgot his name but changed his game and destroyed what made him good during his rookie yr. left to the raiders I think and was never the same.

Yeah, I have no idea man. I thought Parcells got the best out of a real mediocre group. remember it was Parcells who switched up to the 3-4 and Ware excelled there. Parcells said right from the get go that Ware could not take the beating of a 4-3 end. Much was said about Ware being able to handle the 4-3 roll when we switched back but he wasn't the same player and got beat up as predicted by Parcells. Moved back to 3-4 DE in Denver and revived his career for 2 years plus a SB. IDK man

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea man. I thought Parcells got the best out of a real mediocre group. remember it was Parcells who switched up to the 3-4 and Ware excelled there. Parcells said right from the get go that Ware could not take the beating of a 4-3 end. Much was said about Ware being able to handle the 4-3 roll when we switched back but he wasn't the same player and got beat up as predicted by Parcells. Moved back to 3-4 DE in Denver and revived his career for 2 years plus a SB. IDK man
They were mediocre by his own design. The nfl was turning into a speed league where Parcells was living in the 80s with a big slow team he wanted. And I’m not talking bout ware in a 4-3 they were already a 3-4 team by that time. Parcells wanted Merrimack and was overruled by the draft room

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
They were mediocre by his own design. The nfl was turning into a speed league where Parcells was living in the 80s with a big slow team he wanted. And I’m not talking bout ware in a 4-3 they were already a 3-4 team by that time. Parcells wanted Merrimack and was overruled by the draft room

ok you don't like Parcells. That's cool