News: BTB: It seems like Cowboys’ David Irving is doing everything he can to look forward

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10890434.0.jpg

Hopefully all is well for talented defensive tackle David Irving.

David Irving has had an awfully long offseason.

Contractually, he was hit with a tender that he ultimately signed. Personally, he dealt with serious accusations that were later recanted and thrust his life into the public spotlight. It’s imaginable that this is a lot for anyone to go through.

Irving was absent for voluntary OTAs, and people were getting frustrated with the situation. He took to his own Instagram to somewhat address why he was missing, but that still didn’t answer every question (not that he should have to answer every one).

The Cowboys had their final practice before training camp on Thursday, and David met with the local media on hand. He gave a little bit more insight as to what’s been going on with him lately and spoke about the role his daughter is playing in his life now.

David Irving shed a little bit of light on the personal issues that kept him away from Cowboys OTAs today. Said he’s feeling good and moving past it #cowboyswire pic.twitter.com/uECZN4OITe

— David Helman (@HelmanDC) June 14, 2018

Irving said life changes a lot with full custody of his daughter: "I ain’t got time to be messing around, getting in trouble like I have been. I have to make a lot of changes." https://t.co/nT6YJeu4Tu

— Jori Epstein (@JoriEpstein) June 14, 2018

Nobody should pretend to know anything about Irving’s personal life. We all have issues in life that have spilled over into work. Life can be tricky, tough, and downright unfair at times. It’s admirable that Irving would want to work on bettering himself as a person in general, and it certainly helps that he wants to do that to enhance who he is as a football player.

Shifting a bit to football, there are those that have been worried about the false accusations Irving faced rippling into his NFL career. For what it’s worth, it seems David is confident that all will be alright on that front.

Cowboys DL David Irving said he's not worried about the NFL investigating him over the domestic violence allegations that were retracted by his ex-girlfriend Angela Sanchez. The Frisco PD took 11 photos of Sanchez after the allegations and none of them showed any bruising.

— Brandon George (@DMN_George) June 14, 2018

Getting deeper into his on-the-field status, there have been those concerned about Irving’s weight. He’s a defensive tackle so it’s not like he shouldn’t be a big presence, but he provided some numerical data as far as where he is and where he wants to be come training camp, too.

David Irving said he will be ready for the start of training camp. Between now and the start of camp, he'll be "getting in better shape, getting my abs back." Said he's actually lighter than he played last season. He was at 312 but is down to 303. His goal is to get around 280

— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) June 14, 2018

Hopefully this is the beginning of this entire process for Irving. The Cowboys can absolutely use him.

Continue reading...