News: BTB: Mel Kiper, Jr. and Todd McShay post their final mocks, and WR is the pick for the Cowboys

NewsBot

Reaction score
873013652.jpg.0.jpg

Everybody is mocking a WR to the Cowboys in round one.

It doesn’t mean it will happen, but the mock drafts are coalescing around the idea that the Dallas Cowboys will take a wide receiver in round one of the 2018 draft. That position was popular even before the release of Dez Bryant, although we saw a lot more variety with defensive tackle, linebacker and guard frequently making the list. Now, with Bryant released, it’s almost all wide receiver, all the time.

There still is the question of which wide receiver. Three names are at the top of the list: Calvin Ridley, D.J. Moore and Courtland Sutton.

Mel Kiper goes with Sutton.

19. Dallas Cowboys

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU

I keep hearing the Cowboys like Sutton, though I’d go with Maryland wideout D.J. Moore. Linebacker could also be in play.

In Kiper’s mock, safety/corner Minkah Fitzpatrick makes it all the way to 14th. For most of the mock draft season, Fitzpatrick has been a Top-10 pick. We’ve discussed trading up for Derwin James, but would you be willing to trade up for Fitzpatrick if he fell this far?

Some names that Kiper passed on in his mock for the Cowboys: Taven Bryan, D.J. Moore, Will Hernandez, Harold Landry, James Daniels, Rashaan Evans, Leighton Vander Esch, Isiah Wynn.

Todd McShay also goes receiver, but a different one.

19. Dallas Cowboys

D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland

With Dez Bryant cut, Dallas definitely has a need at wide receiver. Moore’s 4.34 40 at the combine helped turn some heads, and he’s a good route runner and great after the catch. Leighton Vander Esch has been rumored here, but there are some concerns about a neck injury. Seems to be a team-by-team deal on their comfort level.

Some names that McShay passed on for the Cowboys: Rashaan Evans, Isaiah Wynn, Harold Landry, Will Hernandez, Taven Bryan, Courtland Sutton, Leighton Vander Esch.

In both mocks Washington takes Vita Vea at #13, the Ravens take Calvin Ridley at #16, the Chargers take Da’Ron Payne at #17, and the Seahawks take Marcus Davenport at #18.

It won’t be much longer until we get the real thing.

Continue reading...

Rayman70

Reaction score
OMG..if Fitz drops anywhere near our pick I would go get him. Dude would start day 1 at safety for the next 5 plus years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Moore,Miller and Ridley...I would be ok with . What if we double dip at WR early? What if we get Ridley at 19 and come back at 50 for Miller or Moore? Drafts can be funny creatures,all it takes is for a team like the Colts to throw a monkey wrench in and take a QB HIGH.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Hey, I didn't like the Taco pick last year but I talked myself in to it. I could maybe do that with Sutton. DJ Moore, I'm already OK with that. I'll stick with Mel Diaper Jr always getting our pick WRONG!!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Your user name reminds me of one of my fav songs

Sometimes I feel like I'm a nation of one up here in the north all by m'own self:). Packers fans, Lions fans, Bills fans there are a few, Cowboy fans are like the caribou, rare and getting more rare. Nah, I'm not THAT far north. Too close to Detroit though. I remember that song. Thanks Red