News: BTB: Mike McCarthy press conference: Sean Lee was injured in strength and conditioning phase

fivetwos

Reaction score
The depth at LB is crazy thin.

Didnt seem like many people thought so around draft time. The idea of Murray at 17 was nuts.

Of course none of us saw it going the way it did.

Bernard is going to be a big part of the 2020 Cowboys, for better or worse.

nobody

Reaction score
Bad enough to the point where he was noticeably limping very badly recently.

Lee has this habit of his mind telling him to do things that his body objects to.

I'm slowly arriving at a stage where I'd as soon see Luke Gifford getting reps.

This made me think of the scene from Braveheart at the end where the crowd is finally like "Mercy!"

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
My belief was he was worth taking a risk on - $4.5 million is pretty cheap for the potential reward - but the team shouldn't count on him to the extent there is no capable alternative. With his injury history it would be foolish for the team to not protect itself. I'm not sure if they have done that though. Thomas looks good in the limited time he gets, but I'm not sure how that would play out with a bigger role.
I feel like the $$ could have been used on a younger player with possible upside. I watched sean lee last season and he still has the mental capability but his body just couldn't get to the spots. Hence why he had the most missed tackles in his career last year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel like the $$ could have been used on a younger player with possible upside. I watched sean lee last season and he still has the mental capability but his body just couldn't get to the spots. Hence why he had the most missed tackles in his career last year.
That's a valid argument. I guess for me I just didn't think that extra $4.5 million would be able to by Sean's short term potential, and probably wasn't enough to buy significant long term upside. Now, if they were still paying Lee $10-12 million a year I would take your position whole heartedly.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yep -- tell me about it. Luke Gifford may not be any better but at least, he's young and has upside that may not be exhausted yet.
Was hearing about a UDFA LB yesterday that had been having a amazing camp. Has had 2 int in 2 days and is all over the field. Is a 25 year old out of college so a little bit older but wondering if he may find himself a home now.

aria

Reaction score
Just retire already
Man, I love Lee, he’s up there with Witten as one of my favorite all time Cowboys but it is getting ridiculous. It’s almost sad actually, like having a great dog and watching it struggle to walk, just get it over with already and put him out to pasture. I would be more happy to see him coaching these young guys than hobbling around as a former shell of himself.

Sorry Sean, love ya man but it’s time to let it go and move on.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Bad enough to the point where he was noticeably limping very badly recently.

Lee has this habit of his mind telling him to do things that his body objects to.

I'm slowly arriving at a stage where I'd as soon see Luke Gifford getting reps.
you mean kid who before he played a real snap lost 16 games on IR..

wow ok look all the LBs that are here for depth will see snaps but Lee isnt on IR and will be ready for the season, he appeared in all 16 games last season and at times was the best LB on the field, that was less then one year ago..PULLease..sure he needs to be limited but at 4.5 mil per hes worth keeping..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Was hearing about a UDFA LB yesterday that had been having a amazing camp. Has had 2 int in 2 days and is all over the field. Is a 25 year old out of college so a little bit older but wondering if he may find himself a home now.

That sounds like it might be Utah's Francis Bernard. He's been picking off passes in practice and attracting lots of attention in camp.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
you mean kid who before he played a real snap lost 16 games on IR..

wow ok look all the LBs that are here for depth will see snaps but Lee isnt on IR and will be ready for the season, he appeared in all 16 games last season and at times was the best LB on the field, that was less then one year ago..PULLease..sure he needs to be limited but at 4.5 mil per hes worth keeping..

Luke Gifford likely isn't someone who'll be free of injury but neither is Lee. Not sure if Gifford's troubles will be a constant threat over time but I'm pretty sure he's not going anywhere. His upside is said to be huge if he's just able to stay healthy. I'm quite sure Lee isn't going anywhere, either. Not to worry.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy press conference: Sean Lee was injured in strength and conditioning phase

1196540995.jpg.jpg

The head coach took to the podium on Friday.

Read Full Story

He sneezed and tore his ACL