News: BTB: No team-friendly deal for Dak Prescott, he expects to get paid what is deserved

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_12097770.0.jpg

The Cowboys quarterback wants market price when he signs a new deal.

What do Kyle Lauletta, Joshua Dobbs, C.J. Beathard and Matt Barkley all have in common? Besides being bottom-rung quarterbacks in the NFL, they all have base contracts that would pay them more over the life of their contracts than what Dak Prescott is scheduled to get. (Contract numbers from Spotrac.com). Think about that for a moment. There aren’t many better contract values in the NFL than what the Cowboys are getting from their rookie deal (basically set by the CBA) with Prescott.

All of that is going to change soon. Prescott has another year left on his initial deal, but the Cowboys would like to get something done with him earlier than that. They don’t want him to get to free agency. They already know what the market dictates in terms of quarterback contracts.

“I think the market is what the market is,” Jones said from Senior Bowl practices late January in Mobile, Alabama. “We’ve all seen it. So, I think, you know, there’s not really a lot to get a feel for in terms of knowing what it is. I think the contracts are out there for everybody to see.

”It’s always good to be a quarterback though. Especially one that wins, is a winner.”

Prescott is lucky in the fact he’s been able to earn money through his many sponsors. So while his NFL contract is bargain-bin material, he’s still done well for himself. But any thoughts of Prescott doing a team-friendly deal or anything that isn’t market-rate need to be shelved. Here’s Prescott on that idea:

“I think the team knows how to pay what’s deserved,” Prescott told USA TODAY Sports before the Super Bowl, “and pay those other people at the same time what’s deserved without being frugal.”

Those other people include players like DeMarcus Lawrence and at some point Ezekiel Elliott. When Tom Brady’s relatively team-friendly deal was brought up, Prescott re-emphasized his point.

Prescott doesn’t see Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s team-friendly deal, for which he made just $15 million last season, as a blueprint for his own.

“Nobody’s wife makes as much money as his wife does either,” Prescott said of Brady’s supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen, who earned $10 million in 2018 and $17.5 million in 2017, per reports. “When Tom Brady isn’t the breadwinner in the home, then that’s a great problem to have.

“So in that case, he can do that. He can do his contract however you want to do it.”

That’s a fair point, even though I would never advise talking about another man’s wife, finances, and who is the bread-winner.

Still, Prescott is simply saying that he should get paid what is deserved. Of course, deciding exactly what is deserved is always the tricky point. As pointed out in the USA Today article, over 14 quarterbacks had cap hits of over $20 million last year. Just where does Prescott fall in that range?

Cam Newton averages just over $20 million per year while Aaron Rodgers leads the pack at an average of $33.5 million. With contracts always moving up, you’d expect Prescott to command a number more toward the upper-tier than the lower-tier. These figures tend to elevate year after year.

As for the non-believers, Prescott’s not worried.

“People are going to question and I want them to,” Prescott told USA TODAY Sports. “I don’t care. I am here where I am today because of the people always saying what I couldn’t or could do.

“It’s almost comical sometimes. if I hear it or allow myself to get involved in the talk, sometimes it’s comical. But I just keep going out there and just doing what I know I can do best.”

Continue reading...

kskboys

Reaction score
From what I've seen, getting what he deserves means around 12-15 mil/season.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
he will get at least 20 million per year and no I didn't expect him to do a team friendly deal not many players do that they are out for the money and the money only mostly

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
If we don't pay him the eagles will.....they'll need starting QB when Bubblewrap gets hurt again.