News: BTB: Rams offense knew what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do over 90% of the time

SackMaster

Reaction score
Unfortunately, under Garrett, the Cowboys only worry about "beating the man in front of you" and VERY rarely try to "scheme to put players in position to take advantage of their opponents".

We've known for years this was the case on the offensive side of the ball, but to hear it has infected the defensive side as well, that is depressing.

I just Jerry would realize that Coaching, not just a head figure, matters in the Salary Cap NFL.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Unfortunately, under Garrett, the Cowboys only worry about "beating the man in front of you" and VERY rarely try to "scheme to put players in position to take advantage of their opponents".

We've known for years this was the case on the offensive side of the ball, but to hear it has infected the defensive side as well, that is depressing.

I just Jerry would realize that Coaching, not just a head figure, matters in the Salary Cap NFL.
No better way to say that coaching really does matter

Cowboys22

Reaction score
It certainly looked like this is absolutely true. No one could run on Dallas and all of a sudden two RBs on the same team get 7 yards before they are even touched on almost every carry. You could see Goff go to the line and act like they were going to snap it and then back off and survey the D for like 10 seconds. Figuring out what our DL was going to do on each play allowed him to simply change the play to go right where it needed to.

exciter

Reaction score
Wait you mean it was because they were out coached and not because the 320# 1tech and 312# 3tech were too small to play in the NFL. That's an outrageous assumption!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...sive-line-was-going-to-do-over-90-of-the-time

According to the article, they had a good idea of what we were going to do and countered it period. Just like Seattle knew our offense earlier in the season. How is this not a coaching issue?

How our run defense got run over is the story to watch in the next few weeks.

I don't think they all of a sudden got horrible. Jaylon and LVE didn't all of a sudden get horrible.

I suspect we're looking at another preparation failure on defense to end our playoff chances, like in 2016 when Marinelli simply got pantsed by Rodgers running hurry up in the first half. The Rams ran a lot of hurry up too.

One of the predictable things in our big losses over about a decade - the other team will tell us how predictable we are. Will we ever listen and *do* something to counter it?

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
It certainly looked like this is absolutely true. No one could run on Dallas and all of a sudden two RBs on the same team get 7 yards before they are even touched on almost every carry. You could see Goff go to the line and act like they were going to snap it and then back off and survey the D for like 10 seconds. Figuring out what our DL was going to do on each play allowed him to simply change the play to go right where it needed to.
its troublesome considering that it has happened to us twice in the same year. That is a major problem in the staff and the schemes we run. Predictability is killing us along with the lack of execution and preparation.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
The new term for Garrett is "One size fits all" He literally thinks this and attempts to prove it every game. Against the elite teams in the NFL it ALWAYS loses. This is why Dallas will never advance to the SB with Garrett at the helm.

This is no longer a Dak thing. This is a philosophical issue coming down from Jerry and Garrett. I include Jerry, because does anyone think if Jerry was opposed to this that it would stay like this? I don't, so this must be Jerry's ideology also. Truly ridiculous.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Seriously though, who is going to demand that the NFL take a long hard look at the officiating this year? It was as horrible as I have ever seen it. Here are 2 examples in our game that are mind blowing:

1) Zeke runs out of bounds untouched at 2:19 left in the first half. Somehow the clock continues to run down to the 2 minute warning. How do the refs justify that gaff? 19 seconds was allowed to roll off the clock and no one says anything??????

2) Gallup catches a pass from Dak and is tackled at the goal line. Initially the ref said he was down at the 2. Replay shows he was down by contact but at the 1. The Rams challenged the play assuming he didn't catch it. This allowed the refs to examine exactly where Gallup was and while they confirmed the catch, they allowed the ball to remain at the 2. ??????????

We can argue about not calling the holding penalty on Taco on the 4th down or other penalties but these 2 I mentioned are not debatable and for me, proves the league is against Dallas for some reason. There just isn't an honest reason for these 2 mistakes.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The Colts game gave the blueprint. You have to have the interior line talent to pull it off though.

I did not think the Rams did but there was some writing on the wall.
The Colts had 22 passes and 8 runs in the 1st half of that game, then started running in the 2nd half when they were up by 10 points. But maybe McVay saw something there he thought he could take advantage of.

He obviously saw something somewhere.

Brooksey

Reaction score
The Colts had 22 passes and 8 runs in the 1st half of that game, then started running in the 2nd half when they were up by 10 points. But maybe McVay saw something there he thought he could take advantage of.

He obviously saw something somewhere.

Yes he did. Weeks ago I rewatched the Colts game 3-4 times (their run game part) in disbelief on how they manhandled our d-line. We’re terrible up the middle against the power block. Woods & Tyrone Crawford r terrible. Jaylon and Vander are awful if u run right at them, yet maybe the best if u run away from them

lkelly

Reaction score
Seriously though, who is going to demand that the NFL take a long hard look at the officiating this year? It was as horrible as I have ever seen it. Here are 2 examples in our game that are mind blowing:

1) Zeke runs out of bounds untouched at 2:19 left in the first half. Somehow the clock continues to run down to the 2 minute warning. How do the refs justify that gaff? 19 seconds was allowed to roll off the clock and no one says anything??????

That's in the rule book.

Out Of Bounds

1. Any time a player in possession of the ball goes out of bounds the play clock stops. According to the NFL Rule Book, the clock is re-started once the officials spot the ball at the appropriate yard line on the field except during the last two minutes of the first half or the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. During these times the clock doesn’t start again until the next snap. The offense must run the play before the play clock runs to zero, however.

If a player in possession of the ball has his forward progress stopped in bounds and is then pushed out of bounds, the officials may mark the player down in bounds at the point of forward progress and signal for the clock to continue running.