News: BTB: Report: DeMarcus Lawrence likely to be franchised tagged by Cowboys

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_12003499.0.jpg

Not a surprise, just the next step.

What’s the opposite of a surprise? It’s time for all of us to yell whatever it is as one of the more obvious things this offseason is becoming all the more obvious... it’s almost tag time.

As we are indeed moving along this offseason we’re reaching the point where franchise tags are going to be handed out. The Cowboys have a situation that they need to figure out in DeMarcus Lawrence, one where the tag makes a lot of sense, and on Friday NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport confirmed what makes sense... it’s likely coming.

From @NFLTotalAccess: In advance of Tuesday’s opening of the franchise tag window, here is a quick look at four pass-rushers likely to be tagged. pic.twitter.com/XDhIilisA7

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 16, 2019

Dallas used the tag on Lawrence a year ago and were unable to come to terms with him a long-term contract. It was their sixth overall utilization of the franchise tag which would make this lucky number seven.

What’s more is the Cowboys have used the tag on a player in consecutive offseasons before. Back in 2012 and 2013 we saw the team give it to another pass rusher in Anthony Spencer and it wound up being the best way to handle that whole situation financially. There are many that believe in the future of DeMarcus Lawrence’s career, but the tough reality from the franchise’s side is that it’s an extremely expensive one.

Rapoport notes in his report that Lawrence is “firmly” in the Cowboys plans but that there is “no momentum” towards a deal being done yet. Tank has been a big factor in the defensive identity that the team has cultivated, losing him would be a huge step backwards in their overall efforts. The Cowboys obviously know this, but as DeMarcus has said before the ball really is in their court at this point.

Franchised —-> Pro Bowl——-> Your move @dallascowboys ‍♂️ https://t.co/NbZU44k82G

— DeMarcus Lawrence (@TankLawrence) January 25, 2019

Teams can begin giving the franchise tag to players on Tuesday. Get ready to see DeMarcus Lawrence on the list.

Continue reading...

Rayman70

Reaction score
the tag means nothing...it just means no one else can steal him away from us and it buys more time for us to either find a trade partner or signing him to a longterm deal. THIS is just protocol.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Tank was ok with playing under the tag last year so hopefully he's ok for another. Some players don't like it and I get it because it's not long term secure. It sure pays the bills for another year and if someone handed me $10 mill I think I could find a way to invest it for some long term security

Rayman70

Reaction score
Tank was ok with playing under the tag last year so hopefully he's ok for another. Some players don't like it and I get it because it's not long term secure. It sure pays the bills for another year and if someone handed me $10 mill I think I could find a way to invest it for some long term security
he better like it, he will be getting a guaranteed 21 mil I think. lol..not bad for a days work.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yeah, no kidding! $21 mill is a lot of beans and biscuits
got that right. Heck that's a staple where I am in Texas...beans and biscuits lol. Pretty funny. These players really crack me up sometimes with "I have to feed my family" type comments. Im fairly certain they don't live week to week, day to day like most of us do trying to make it to the next pay cycle. Not sayin DLaw thinks like that...he seems like a grounded dude, but the vast majority of players seem to not get it. I figure its a good month for my family if we make the house payment and managed to keep the lights on. Just sayin.