News: BTB: Sanjay Lal helped Tavon Austin have his best training camp ever

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10986809.0.jpg

Sanjay for MVP.

It’s not hard to find a Dallas Cowboys wide receiver raving about Sanjay Lal.

Lal has come in and immediately made a gigantic impact. If you don’t believe me just know that Terrance Williams has been balling out and catching with his hands through Lal’s first training camp with the Cowboys. Yes, that’s right.

Williams isn’t the only receiver who’s seemingly been re-made under Lal’s tutelage. Buffalo Bills castoff Deonte Thompson has had a great camp (when he was healthy enough to participate), Allen Hurns is playing well, and former Los Angeles Rams utility weapon Tavon Austin has been one of the bigger storylines to emerge from Oxnard.

Everything said about Austin pre-Oxnard tended to involve what position the team website listed him under. These days he’s making play after play, inspiring Cowboys fans everywhere to believe he’s going to have an enormous impact on the offense this season.

Austin recently went on record and not only said that he felt this was his best training camp of his career, but that he felt that way specifically for one reason... Sanjay Lal.

Tavon Austin: "This is my No. 1 camp I ever had, hands down. Just the plays I was making, the WR coach is making me a so much better receiver. It's crazy, starting from OTAs to now. ... I take my hat off to Sanjay Lal."

— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) August 16, 2018

NFL veterans who change teams saying that they’ve had their “best camp ever” is a bit of a trope worthy of a spot on a bingo card (the Bengals version will be out sooner rather than later, by the way), but this particular line gets a little bit of a pass because of Lal’s inclusion.

You might remember that Allen Hurns said he learned a significant amount about his game from just his visit with the Cowboys and Sanjay Lal during free agency, and that that was part of why he chose Dallas. These many voices singing the same song isn’t an accident.

Hurns and Austin have a combined nine years of NFL experience yet they’ve both outwardly credited Sanjay Lal for helping re-invent their game ahead of the 2018 season. There are, thankfully, a lot of people eligible for the MVP of training camp, and Sanjay Lal should be among them.

Continue reading...