News: BTB: Seahawks offered Earl Thomas, but Cowboys drafted Connor Williams instead

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10805989.0.jpg

Do you think Dallas made the right choice?

Many Cowboys fans spent this past Sunday imagining what the 2018 rookie class will end up doing in the blue and silver. Leighton Vander Esch, Connor Williams, Michael Gallup, and co.? What a party.

Something else going on this past Sunday was discussion concerning Earl Thomas. The Cowboys didn’t end up trading for the talented safety, but they did try to. We even talked about how they offered a third-round pick here at BTB.

The 81st overall pick wasn’t enough to get Seattle to dance, and hey that’s understandable. They had their sights set on more, they wanted a second-rounder, namely pick #50.

In fact, Seattle wanted that pick so badly that they called the Cowboys. How do we know this? First of all, it’s common sense. Second of all, the mothership’s Bryan Broaddus and Ambar Garcia told us on Tuesday afternoon (discussion starts right before the three-minute mark).

LIVE from The Star- @AmbarGarciaTV & @BryanBroaddus review this year’s draft picks and look examine what the Cowboy… https://t.co/pzM0MfyiMA

— Somos Cowboys (@SomosCowboys) May 1, 2018

Broaddus goes into detail specifically in terms of second-round pick Connor Williams and how he ties into all of this:

“Let me give you a little insight here... If Connor Williams wasn’t on the board at 50, they would have traded that pick for your safety. For Earl Thomas. The Seahawks called they said, ‘Hey, are you interested in the player?’ and the Cowboys made the determination that Connor Williams meant so much to them that they said no.”

We knew that Seattle chose Earl Thomas over the pick that became Michael Gallup, but now we definitively know that Dallas chose Connor Williams over Earl. It’s hard to disagree with them.

It was shocking, as Bryan and Ambar note, that Connor fell all the way to the 50th overall pick. Dallas was able to fortify their already outstanding offensive line with an elite talent at a spot with many question marks - left guard. Even if that spot isn’t directly filled by Connor himself, for what it’s worth Dallas referred to him as an interior lineman, Connor’s presence allows either he or La’el Collins to fill it.

Connor Williams turns 21 years old this month. He will likely be very good at a position of extreme importance at a lower cost for four seasons. Earl Thomas, talented as he is, turns 29 this month and will need a new deal after the 2018 season. It’s a no-brainer.

It’s definitely interesting that a board sans Connor Williams at the 50th overall pick could have meant Earl Thomas was in Dallas. Thankfully for the Cowboys that wasn’t the case and they landed what could be one of the biggest steals of the draft.

Continue reading...

Rayman70

Reaction score
IT WAS THE RIGHT MOVE. ET is still an option. Seattle must get realistic however. They thought they could hold our 2nd round pick hostage. It backfired.Now Seattle is stuck holding the bag and with a dilemma.

garyv

Reaction score
Honestly I like Earl Thomas but glad we got Conner Williams. I still have hope for Earl with a 2019 Draft Pick.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
ET honestly doesn't want to be in Seattle and a part of a rebuild. He wants to come home and play for his childhood team and get them back to the dance.Seattle needs to take the blinders off and realize at some point soon,they gotta **** or get off the pot. lol..

Rayman70

Reaction score
Williams will be stud for us for 10years...Thomas has maybe 2 great years left...3 tops. It was the right move. That said,I would gladly trade a future 3rd round pick and a player for him right now. Reason being we can always recoup that 3rd rder.

garyv

Reaction score
ET honestly doesn't want to be in Seattle and a part of a rebuild. He wants to come home and play for his childhood team and get them back to the dance.Seattle needs to take the blinders off and realize at some point soon,they gotta **** or get off the pot. lol..

Honestly right now I think the ball is in the Cowboys court and they need to part with a 2nd Round for 2019 and lets get Earl.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Honestly right now I think the ball is in the Cowboys court and they need to part with a 2nd Round for 2019 and lets get Earl.
I WOULDNT LIKE IT..BUT I THINK WE WILL DO THAT. Its a bit rich.

CapnB

Reaction score
I just aint too crazy with the thought of having a 29 yr old FS with knee/leg issues who contemplated retirement before the end of last season. I'm glad we got our boys CW and Gallop.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I just aint too crazy with the thought of having a 29 yr old FS with knee/leg issues who contemplated retirement before the end of last season. I'm glad we got our boys CW and Gallop.
I'm with ya...but I'm less concerned about his wheels and more concerned about 2 things. Length of the deal,and cap implications. I would sign him to a team friendly 3 year deal,with that 3rd year being a team option. That means we get him for 2 good years,and if he performs well,we can reup.

bpfred

Reaction score
It isn't just Earl Thomas for Connor Williams. It's Earl Thomas for Connor Williams, plus whomever else you can get with the extra dollars Earl Thomas will eat up in cap space.