BTB: Should Cowboys take a look at former-first round pick Shaq Lawson if released by Bills?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
usa_today_10418013.0.jpg

Reports have surfaced that Buffalo Bills defensive end and former first-round pick Shaq Lawson may be on the roster bubble in Buffalo. If released should Dallas take a look?

We haven’t even made it to training camp yet, and reports are already starting to surface about former high-draft picks and quality veteran players that could be shown the door if they don’t show up in a big way this offseason. Multiple well-known sources reported that former Clemson first-round pick Shaq Lawson may be on the roster bubble for the Buffalo Bills.

Lawson, a former 19th overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft has appeared in 21 games in his two-years in the NFL, and has raked up 6.0 sacks in those 21 games. Lawson started off his professional career playing outside-linebacker in 2016 (2.0 sacks), but then was moved to defensive end in 2017 and was able to have a little more success (4.0 sacks). The former-19th overall pick has yet to live up to the expectations that many set on him after being drafted by the Bills in the first round in 2016, and the team is questioning keeping Lawson in their long-term plans. After reading the news about Lawson yesterday, I reached out to a friend of mine who covers the Buffalo Bills for The Athletic - Buffalo. This was his response:

There is some truth to it. This regime has gotten rid of just about everyone drafted by the last GM. Lawson has been lackluster as a pass rusher, phenomenal run defender. Bills sign and paid Trent Murphy starter money. Backup DE played just as well as Shaq. So the rumors may be true.

***SNIP***

Should the Cowboys make a play for Lawson?

Continue reading...

DHCBF66

Reaction score
usa_today_10418013.0.jpg

Reports have surfaced that Buffalo Bills defensive end and former first-round pick Shaq Lawson may be on the roster bubble in Buffalo. If released should Dallas take a look?

We haven’t even made it to training camp yet, and reports are already starting to surface about former high-draft picks and quality veteran players that could be shown the door if they don’t show up in a big way this offseason. Multiple well-known sources reported that former Clemson first-round pick Shaq Lawson may be on the roster bubble for the Buffalo Bills.

Lawson, a former 19th overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft has appeared in 21 games in his two-years in the NFL, and has raked up 6.0 sacks in those 21 games. Lawson started off his professional career playing outside-linebacker in 2016 (2.0 sacks), but then was moved to defensive end in 2017 and was able to have a little more success (4.0 sacks). The former-19th overall pick has yet to live up to the expectations that many set on him after being drafted by the Bills in the first round in 2016, and the team is questioning keeping Lawson in their long-term plans. After reading the news about Lawson yesterday, I reached out to a friend of mine who covers the Buffalo Bills for The Athletic - Buffalo. This was his response:

There is some truth to it. This regime has gotten rid of just about everyone drafted by the last GM. Lawson has been lackluster as a pass rusher, phenomenal run defender. Bills sign and paid Trent Murphy starter money. Backup DE played just as well as Shaq. So the rumors may be true.

***SNIP***

Continue reading...
With Gregory probably returning I think we have enough in the DE department. We are going to have to cut players as it is!

plymkr

Reaction score
I say give him a look if released by the Bills and we can get him for relatively cheap. If it doesn't pan out then cut him and move on. No investment no loss. I want Dallas to do everything they can to bolster that front 7 and young players with potential is worth looking at.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
100% you look at him.
Gregory is one dube away from lifetime suspension and has not shown much.
Lawrence is on a year to year deal right now.
Tappers not done squat.
Kony Ealy is a journeyman who has played 1/2 good season
Hell yeah you look at him

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
With Gregory probably returning I think we have enough in the DE department. We are going to have to cut players as it is!
I am not counting on Gregory at all. he has been out of football for over two years now.... if you think he is going to be close to anything he was before, then you are just dreaming. he will be very lucky to make the 53 manroster.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
usa_today_10418013.0.jpg

***SNIP***

Continue reading...
this should be an interesting conversatin. there were a few who said we should get rid of Charlton and he underwhelmed and he has to get 10 sacks to be worth us keeping, blah blah blah

here is the 19th pick of the draft and had 4 sacks last year.

if he is willing to come in and compete...why not... I am not counting on Gregory, given his is one more puff away from really life time suspension and he has been out of football for over 2 years now.

Irivin is suspended again. Lawrance is franchised. and as many DEs as we have, we are not that deep ...Charlton, ealy, Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, Tapper, Lawrence. outside of Lawrence and probably Charlton, the rest are question marks. Crawford is listed at DE, but I think he is a better DT than DE. Tapper is done IMHO. Gregory is on the bubble and probably on the outside looking in.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
usa_today_10418013.0.jpg

***SNIP***

Continue reading...

I would seriously ask why he's on the roster bubble. In fact if I were McClay, I'd call the Bills and ask them. If the answer is attitude or laziness then big hell to the no. If it's not an attitude/work ethic problem, big hell to the yes. Can he play inside at DT 3 would be my question because we have a dude with big attitude problems. I'd dance Derf Irvings arse right out the door at the end of the season