BTB: Should Cowboys take a look at former-first round pick Shaq Lawson if released by Bills?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
this should be an interesting conversatin. there were a few who said we should get rid of Charlton and he underwhelmed and he has to get 10 sacks to be worth us keeping, blah blah blah

here is the 19th pick of the draft and had 4 sacks last year.

if he is willing to come in and compete...why not... I am not counting on Gregory, given his is one more puff away from really life time suspension and he has been out of football for over 2 years now.

Irivin is suspended again. Lawrance is franchised. and as many DEs as we have, we are not that deep ...Charlton, ealy, Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, Tapper, Lawrence. outside of Lawrence and probably Charlton, the rest are question marks. Crawford is listed at DE, but I think he is a better DT than DE. Tapper is done IMHO. Gregory is on the bubble and probably on the outside looking in.

Agree @Tapper. His last shot in TC. Gregory... zero expectations. Crawford will stay at RDE, Ealy, again questions. I'm ok with Taco, let him get there with a little more NFL experience. I'm not even convinced Tank will have 2017 season again. All good clean competition IMO

Pants

Reaction score
I would seriously ask why he's on the roster bubble. In fact if I were McClay, I'd call the Bills and ask them. If the answer is attitude or laziness then big hell to the no. If it's not an attitude/work ethic problem, big hell to the yes. Can he play inside at DT 3 would be my question because we have a dude with big attitude problems. I'd dance Derf Irvings arse right out the door at the end of the season

McClay? that is something a GM might do....McClay is not our GM....and, this guy was good in college and that hasn't translated yet to the NFL...we have enough DE's on the roster now that even if he made the team, who knows what he would be in a rotation....tough call, I love competition at all positions....if t he guy had DT abilities and could eat a few hoagies, then his "phenomenal un defender" comment would mean even more

I am on the fence here, I certainly would not give up any resources for him

Sydla

Reaction score
Absolutely kick the tires on him if cut.

We’d be fools to not at least do our due diligence if cut.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
usa_today_10418013.0.jpg

Reports have surfaced that Buffalo Bills defensive end and former first-round pick Shaq Lawson may be on the roster bubble in Buffalo. If released should Dallas take a look?

We haven’t even made it to training camp yet, and reports are already starting to surface about former high-draft picks and quality veteran players that could be shown the door if they don’t show up in a big way this offseason. Multiple well-known sources reported that former Clemson first-round pick Shaq Lawson may be on the roster bubble for the Buffalo Bills.

Lawson, a former 19th overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft has appeared in 21 games in his two-years in the NFL, and has raked up 6.0 sacks in those 21 games. Lawson started off his professional career playing outside-linebacker in 2016 (2.0 sacks), but then was moved to defensive end in 2017 and was able to have a little more success (4.0 sacks). The former-19th overall pick has yet to live up to the expectations that many set on him after being drafted by the Bills in the first round in 2016, and the team is questioning keeping Lawson in their long-term plans. After reading the news about Lawson yesterday, I reached out to a friend of mine who covers the Buffalo Bills for The Athletic - Buffalo. This was his response:

There is some truth to it. This regime has gotten rid of just about everyone drafted by the last GM. Lawson has been lackluster as a pass rusher, phenomenal run defender. Bills sign and paid Trent Murphy starter money. Backup DE played just as well as Shaq. So the rumors may be true.

***SNIP***

Should the Cowboys make a play for Lawson?

Continue reading...

It seems unlikely that he will be cut.

He has only played 2 years.

His 2018 salary is only 1.4M.

Great run defense will keep a 4-3 DE around even if he has not produced sacks.

Carson

Reaction score
It seems unlikely that he will be cut.

He has only played 2 years.

His 2018 salary is only 1.4M.

Great run defense will keep a 4-3 DE around even if he has not produced sacks.

Agreed.

Silly to give up on a guy that early at that cost (first rounder)

That’s like Dallas claiming they may cut Chartlon heading into season three. Ride the contract out and see if he turns into a late bloomer like Lawrence.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I am not counting on Gregory at all. he has been out of football for over two years now.... if you think he is going to be close to anything he was before, then you are just dreaming. he will be very lucky to make the 53 manroster.
LOL...If Gregory is reinstated he will be on the roster. Anyone thinking he wont be are the ones that are dreaming!

cowboybish

Reaction score
A pick that high must have talent... bring him in for training camp and see what he has at DE.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I would seriously ask why he's on the roster bubble. In fact if I were McClay, I'd call the Bills and ask them. If the answer is attitude or laziness then big hell to the no. If it's not an attitude/work ethic problem, big hell to the yes. Can he play inside at DT 3 would be my question because we have a dude with big attitude problems. I'd dance Derf Irvings arse right out the door at the end of the season

My only interests are I've seen him play and he'd be a good rotational guy at DT now, on passing downs. If he can put on some weight then he can rotate at DE some and more so at DT. He fits a DL that is loaded. I've never heard about attitude problems with this player.

Normally, I don't get into these hypotheticals especially since I don't think he gets cut. But I don't trust Collins injury wise so he competes at DT IMO.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL...If Gregory is reinstated he will be on the roster. Anyone thinking he wont be are the ones that are dreaming!
OK, so even if he sucks during training camp and doesn't produce, you think he will be on the roster? just because?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I remember scouting Lawson and thinking he was a great power end. He could be a Crawford-ish player for us here.

GenoT

Reaction score
My only interests are I've seen him play and he'd be a good rotational guy at DT now, on passing downs. If he can put on some weight then he can rotate at DE some and more so at DT. He fits a DL that is loaded. I've never heard about attitude problems with this player.

Normally, I don't get into these hypotheticals especially since I don't think he gets cut. But I don't trust Collins injury wise so he competes at DT IMO.
While I’m all for having D-line depth, I’d trade any number of “rotational guys” for a few players who are clearly #1s at their respective positions.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yfans seem to be of the belief that we have all of these embarassing riches at defensie end...I just don't see it. I see the potential yeah.....but i see Irving and Lawrence....not much else aside from potential and promises.

Techsass

Reaction score
they have people on payroll that look at all these guys
Yeah, but they aren't anywhere near as interesting to listen to as the folks on our board.

I know the name is about all. Don't remember watching any Bills games since he got there. The article said he missed 11 games in the last 2 seasons, which has become a red flag to me. Still I'd check him out, especially if we're talking $1.5m.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Attitude and effort are Garrett’s strengths. Garrett will motivate him and create a monster.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, so even if he sucks during training camp and doesn't produce, you think he will be on the roster? just because?
Yes, he'll get a chance to work himself back into playing football. He might be inactive to start the season, but he is highly likely to make that 53.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
100% you look at him.
Gregory is one dube away from lifetime suspension and has not shown much.
Lawrence is on a year to year deal right now.
Tappers not done squat.
Kony Ealy is a journeyman who has played 1/2 good season
Hell yeah you look at him
Talk hearty, now, talk hearty!