News: BTB: Tony Romo felt like the Cowboys were in good hands when he walked away from them

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why all the Romo love? He was an ok quarterback that never won anything because he didn't take the game serious....always smiling and laughing on the sideline when the cowboys were getting their butts kicked. Going to Cabo, playing golf and dating celebrities seemed to distract him from being great.
Let's face it. Appreciation for Romo is a great mystery, joining the ranks of 'Where the heck was Jimmy Hoffa buried???' and 'Who was Jack the Ripper really???' and 'How can there be a Lost City of Atlantis when everyone saw it in Aquaman???'

There can only be one logical response to Romo appreciation. Treat Romo threads and posts like the plague. Think of them like virtual cooties. Nasty. There is no solution for Romo appreciation. The mystery will last forever forever forever... save yourself!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will never understood the concern of fans for Romo’s health beyond his football career?

If he thought he could play and chose to place himself at risk. Who are we to care more?

I’d of let him play until he couldn’t. As long as he could stand he provided our best opportunity to win. His brief appearance it was quite obvious to these eyes.

There was no rush to keep Dak in unless you thought he provided us a greater chance to win which obviously he hadn’t thus far.

No, we probably missed on putting our best QB in. At least until he was knocked out again. Then , we finally had a backup we could win with and move forward.
I felt that way because everything I knew about him said he was a stand up guy and I liked him.

He was not that spoiled at an early age with QB coaches like the Manning's or entitled like Manziel all his life, there was something real about his ascent to the throne unlike I'd ever seen before and I never grew tired of his story, where he came from and how he got there. I even liked his comment about "if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will have had a good life". Guy was as competitive as they come, yet he had this life's balance, an "everyman" quality about him. And Favre was the only more entertaining player to watch.

I never met him but I have friends that did and they're not even Cowboys fans or even football fans. They said if they hadn't known who and what he was they never would have guessed he was a pro athlete or celebrity. They said he was as real as it gets, really a nice guy and asked them more questions about themselves.

I do not live in a pretend world about pro athletes being special people but from what I know about him, he's a man that I would like. So, I'd prefer he not have any lingering debilitating health issues, that's who I am to care.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do remember the speculation that they were showcasing his health so he could connect to another team, if that was his desire. Glad that never happened, I've never acclimated to seeing Cowboys players in other unis.
Bold>Especially when a few go elsewhere and either win or compete for rings. I was not totally against him going to another team though for that reason. I wanted him to follow his dream somewhere else if that was his desire, which it was not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I felt that way because everything I knew about him said he was a stand up guy and I liked him.

He was not that spoiled at an early age with QB coaches like the Manning's or entitled like Manziel all his life, there was something real about his ascent to the throne unlike I'd ever seen before and I never grew tired of his story, where he came from and how he got there. I even liked his comment about "if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will have had a good life". Guy was as competitive as they come, yet he had this life's balance, an "everyman" quality about him. And Favre was the only more entertaining player to watch.

I never met him but I have friends that did and they're not even Cowboys fans or even football fans. They said if they hadn't known who and what he was they never would have guessed he was a pro athlete or celebrity. They said he was as real as it gets, really a nice guy and asked them more questions about themselves.

I do not live in a pretend world about pro athletes being special people but from what I know about him, he's a man that I would like. So, I'd prefer he not have any lingering debilitating health issues, that's who I am to care.

If these players are willing to place themselves in harms way then I have no reason to care more than they do unless there’s an unknown like with the head injury lawsuits.

Coach, I understand your intentions are good but with all due respect your sentimental personal expression is just an excuse not to call out the situation which Romo wasn’t happy about having to call it quits. That’s not how players want to go out. He’d rather have had a career ending injury than to be left wandering, what if.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do remember the speculation that they were showcasing his health so he could connect to another team, if that was his desire. Glad that never happened, I've never acclimated to seeing Cowboys players in other unis.
That’s a very selfish notion. Especially if they want to play. This is a business first.

I can understand childhood idols when we were young but these kids are young enough to be our grandchildren now. This personal attachment to these players is laughable at our age. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bold>Especially when a few go elsewhere and either win or compete for rings. I was not totally against him going to another team though for that reason. I wanted him to follow his dream somewhere else if that was his desire, which it was not.
Who didn’t enjoy seeing Ware win a ring in Denver?

I’d of loved to see Romo have a shot at a ring somewhere else , even in Houston. Any fan of him would.

This is so silly fans not wanting players to end their careers elsewhere. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If these players are willing to place themselves in harms way then I have no reason to care more than they do unless there’s an unknown like with the head injury lawsuits.

Coach, I understand your intentions are good but with all due respect your sentimental personal expression is just an excuse not to call out the situation which Romo wasn’t happy about having to call it quits. That’s not how players want to go out. He’d rather have had a career ending injury than to be left wandering, what if.
Could be, Greg, but few of these guys get to go out like they wanted, including Staubach, White and Aikman.

No, he wasn't happy about it but I think his wife was after watching him struggle to pick up his kids. No vet QB wants to lose his job to the younger QB, especially an unheralded rookie QB.

The one thing we will probably never know is what was behind that falling on his sword, the king is dead, long live the king resignation? Was that his idea or was that a suggestion from Booger because he wanted to soften the blow and criticism of benching the most popular player and what did he offer Romo to do it? I think that's how he ended up with the payout and release to end his career. Booger was known as the guy that fired Landry; he didn't want to be known as the guy that fired Romo.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who didn’t enjoy seeing Ware win a ring in Denver?

I’d of loved to see Romo have a shot at a ring somewhere else , even in Houston. Any fan of him would.

This is so silly fans not wanting players to end their careers elsewhere. Lol
Well, color me silly because seeing Hill in a Skins uni, Dorsett and Ware in Broncos didn't sit well with me and Dorsett has even mentioned he wishes he'd never done it when there was speculation about Romo in one.

Strangely enough, seeing Emmitt in the Cards uni didn't bother me as I always considered him in it for the money, which is fine, I would be too.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Something suddenly occurred to me. Did you mean to say sacked instead of hit in your original statement of '...I could be wrong but he was never hit as much as Dak was last season'? I apologize if you meant to say 'sacked' instead of 'hit'. Never mind my latest question if you meant to say 'hit' instead of 'sack'.
I meant hit. Romo had season where he was among the least hit QB's in the NFL. He also had seasons were he got hit a lot which a lot had to do with him holding on to the ball to let plays develop downfield but also a terrible OL after we cleaned house on an aging over paid OL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Could be, Greg, but few of these guys get to go out like they wanted, including Staubach, White and Aikman.

No, he wasn't happy about it but I think his wife was after watching him struggle to pick up his kids. No vet QB wants to lose his job to the younger QB, especially an unheralded rookie QB.

The one thing we will probably never know is what was behind that falling on his sword, the king is dead, long live the king resignation? Was that his idea or was that a suggestion from Booger because he wanted to soften the blow and criticism of benching the most popular player and what did he offer Romo to do it? I think that's how he ended up with the payout and release to end his career. Booger was known as the guy that fired Landry; he didn't want to be known as the guy that fired Romo.
The wifey story is crappola you’ve dreamed up in your head to better accept his retirement.

I agree Jerry was involved in CBS offer to lessen the blow from him for firing Romo and to also make him look better for placing the better QB on the curb.

It’s always about Jerry. Romo’s speech was a joke. Worse thing I’ve seen in Cowboys history. And I wasn’t even a Romo fan.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dude asked for an open competition when he returned from injury and was told flat-out "No."
Not too much to ask for after giving body parts and setting records his whole career.
He was the much better QB at the time, but there were the injuries questions too

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I will never understood the concern of fans for Romo’s health beyond his football career?

If he thought he could play and chose to place himself at risk. Who are we to care more?

I’d of let him play until he couldn’t. As long as he could stand he provided our best opportunity to win. His brief appearance it was quite obvious to these eyes.

There was no rush to keep Dak in unless you thought he provided us a greater chance to win which obviously he hadn’t thus far.

No, we probably missed on putting our best QB in. At least until he was knocked out again. Then , we finally had a backup we could win with and move forward.

This is the part that will always drive me crazy about that season and how the Cowboys handled it. The team was built for Romo and whether others want to admit it or not, at that time (even as well as Dak played) Romo was the better QB. If you are trying to win in the NFL you play your best players. It doesn't matter if Romo came back and only played 2 games and got hurt again or played the rest of the season, he was the better player at that time. The Cowboys spent all that time building an offense for Romo that could utilize his best attributes protect him and giving him all the tools he needed to make teams really fear us and what did the Cowboys do? They left the team in the hands of a rookie (that is not a knock on Dak). It should never have been done and i will go to my grave believing had they given the team back to Tony we would have gotten to the SB that year, instead they went with Dak and it was purely a money decision no matter what they say. They had a QB playing well on a 4 year 4th round rookie deal, now we have to pay Dak and that oppourtunity is now wasted. Give me the shot in 2016 with Romo as the QB anyday then move on from him in 2017 and go with Dak because you had a pretty good volume of work his rookie season to go on. It was the wrong move at the time (and made for money) and it may be along time before we get that oppourtunity again, i hope not but i don't see us getting better on offense and i see our O-Line starting to show some big cracks

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, color me silly because seeing Hill in a Skins uni, Dorsett and Ware in Broncos didn't sit well with me and Dorsett has even mentioned he wishes he'd never done it when there was speculation about Romo in one.

Strangely enough, seeing Emmitt in the Cards uni didn't bother me as I always considered him in it for the money, which is fine, I would be too.
I enjoyed watching Morton with Denver. Calvin in Washington. That day Emmitt came back with Cardinals was awesome. He was kidding on the sidelines. I was sitting right there. Loved it.

Fans get entirely too engulfed that these are only Cowboys not football players. They certainly don’t get that attached to us.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo was fragile. I could be wrong but he was never hit as much as Dak was last season. Never hit as illegally as intently as a Cam Newton. Most of us loved Romo but the truth is as good as he was his DNA physically may not have been suited for the game of football.
Holy crap
What a preposterous statement
:lmao2:

cern

Reaction score
romo has moved on. he now has a career that considers him the best of the lot, despite the short time he's done it. he can play golf when he wants. he has more time for his wife and kids. I don't hear him complaining.