News: BTB: Urban Meyer refers to Dallas Cowboys job as “the one” when asked if Lincoln Riley

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_13501801.0.jpg
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
With the Cowboys stumbling, head coach talk is happening again.

It’s been a long week for the Dallas Cowboys. Losing to the New York Jets will have that sort of effect.

America’s Team finds themselves 3-3 with a gigantic game against the Philadelphia Eagles at AT&T Stadium up next on Sunday night. It’s the last game before the bye so whatever happens will be discussed at length by the fanbase for the next couple of weeks.

With the struggles the Cowboys have had over the last three weeks, many people have put head coach Jason Garrett on the hot seat. He’s been in whatever sort of temperature seat you’d like to call it for much longer than that, the Cowboys didn’t renew his contract last season which made 2019 the final year of his current one. There’s been no doubt that this year is the biggest of his career to date.

The reality is that everybody’s talking about Garrett’s job, though. Former college football coach and now FOX analyst Urban Meyer appeared on The Herd on Friday afternoon and was asked for his thoughts on a big name potentially coaching the Cowboys if the job became available... University of Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley.

.@ColinCowherd: Would Lincoln Riley consider leaving Oklahoma for the Cowboys?@CoachUrbanMeyer: I can't speak for him. I hate to even speculate... That's the one job in professional football you say, 'I've got to go do that'. pic.twitter.com/nBNgpNUaZa

— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) October 18, 2019

“Pure speculation because he’s not, I know him, but I don’t know him like that. But that’s the one. That’s the New York Yankees. That’s the Dallas Cowboys. That’s the one. Great city. You’ve got Dak Prescott, you’ve got Zeke Elliott, you’ve got a loaded team. I can’t speak for him obviously, I hate to even speculate because I don’t know him, that’s really not fair. But to me, that’s the one job in professional football you kind of say, ‘I’ve got to go do that.’”

There’s no question that the Dallas Cowboys job is one of the biggest that the game of football has to offer. If it did ultimately become available it would be difficult for any person to turn down.

This isn’t meant to be any sort of defense of Garrett or dismissal of Riley, but what Riley provides is obviously a great boost on the offensive side of the ball (again, not saying that wouldn’t be welcome). The current problem with the Cowboys doesn’t happen to be on offense. They’re second in the league by DVOA and second in overall yards per game. Again, Lincoln Riley would certainly be welcomed by many, but the team’s defense needs to get back on track.

Talk is going to be happening as long as the Cowboys continue to lose. Sunday is critical.

Continue reading...