News: Bucky Brooks: Scouting Report on Dontari Poe

morat1959

Reaction score
Why does it feel like McCarthy has done more in the last 2 weeks to fix what the fans have been screaming to be addressed for years, than in the last 10 years?

Oh I know, BECAUSE HE HAS!!!
And maybe, just maybe....since the old man’s outdated defensive scheme is history, we can finally have at least an aggressive defense with some hogs in the middle to stuff the run and DBs who at least turn their head and have a chance at a pic! Just the fact that the washed old man is gone, improves our defense.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Simple, fat guys appreciate fat guys.
You know they saying, "don't trust a skinny cook"? Same goes for coaches picking defensive tackles, apparently.
Lol.
Skinny cooks don't taste their cooking.
Mmm... Like a dentist that doesn't brush.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
That is a pretty encouraging write up. I still have DT as a big draft need and would be fine if we used any of our first three picks on a DT if the right player was available.

Although I would guess the cowboys think they are fine there none with Poe, McCoy and some of their other depth guys, plus a guy like Crawford who can move inside.

My concern is young talent there though. I think it is dangerous counting on a lot of older players there.

Xavier McKinney seems like an odds on favorite of the mock drafts. Not that this is etched in stone.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why does it feel like McCarthy has done more in the last 2 weeks to fix what the fans have been screaming to be addressed for years, than in the last 10 years?

Oh I know, BECAUSE HE HAS!!!
So far, it's beyond me how anyone isn't happy w/ the McC hiring so far. And I'm not a McC fan!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I'm excited, I just picked up my Dontari Poe action figure from amazon!

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSEb5jdlJ767HEfvwwSdCJ4p_rwqWiaO3acx0T0pz5XB60yu8OL
Are you sure that’s not, heah, heah, heah, Fat Albert!

dallasdave

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/bucky-brooks-scouting-report-on-dontari-poe

Strengths:

• Run-stuffing defensive tackle with outstanding strength, power, and explosiveness
  • Dominant 2-gap player at the point of attack
  • High effort player with surprising stamina and endurance for a 350-pound defender
  • Disruptive pocket pusher as a pass rusher

Weaknesses:

• Limited impact as a pass rusher
  • Marginal range as a run-and-chase player
What are scouts saying?

Poe is coming off one of his best seasons in 2020. He is an excellent athlete with outstanding strength and power. He is primarily a disruptive interior player as a run stopper but he can get to the quarterback and provide inside pressure. Poe shouldn't be judged by his sack numbers but he is a unique three-down nose tackle with athleticism and power.

How does he fit in with the Cowboys?

Poe gives the Cowboys a disruptive presence on the interior with the potential to play as a one-gap penetrator or two-gap force in a 3-4 or 4-3 front. The two-time Pro Bowler will join Gerald McCoy to give the Cowboys a pair of veteran beefy defenders with outstanding chemistry at the point of attack. Last season, the combination worked well with the Panthers, as they created opportunities for each other with their complementary playing styles. Poe's inside push and McCoy's movement skills disrupted opponent's blocking schemes and helped front seven defenders rack up negative plays on sacks/tackles for losses. With the Cowboys featuring swift linebackers (Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch) and edge defenders (Demarcus Lawrence) in the starting lineup, the insertion of Poe (and McCoy) on the inside should lead to more negative plays (sacks and tackles for loss) from a unit that should be more aggressive and diverse under defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.
Dallas needs a couple of big ole Run Stuffers :yourock:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Jaylon needs to stay clean. Poe should be able to do that. No excuses for clear eye view this year.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
That video is interesting.

Poe looks the part and overpowers any one-on-one blocker.
But watch McCoy. The only one that he really WINS is the goal line stand, which; interestingly for a Poe highlight film, Poe is NOT on the field.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don’t know, but you have to ask what do they know that we don’t?
Very odd they also let another one of their large NTs go.
Vernon Butler signed a 2 year, $15,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $9,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,500,000. In 2020, Butler will earn a base salary of $2,800,000, a signing bonus of $2,000,000, a roster bonus of $3,218,750 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,118,750 and a dead cap value of $7,800,000.
The Panthers run a 3-4 base set, and they do have a few large NT types still on their roster,, maybe it was just a number game,, but that's letting 3 of your top DL walk. Seems strange.