News: Butterfly effect on Wentz trade vs. Dak selection

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I can appreciate this article pointing out all the moving parts that resulted in those draft selections, but the comparisons between Wentz and Prescott aren't really based on the reality of the situation. If Wentz had been available at No. 4, we would have taken him. He wasn't available to us, so we didn't.

As the article points out, we would also have taken Cook if the Raiders hadn't moved up for him and we tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch and failed. Getting Prescott was as more a result of luck (depending on how you feel about Prescott) than it was planning. If he becomes the franchise QB we'd all like him to be, then we're as fortunate that things fell the way that they did, including the Eagles moving up to take Wentz before we ever had a chance.

SackMaster

Reaction score
If you think about it, since Troy Aikman retired, the best Dallas Cowboys QBs have come via "luck" than "planning and preparation".

Love him or hate him, Romo is arguably the best QB since Troy and was an undrafted free agent.
Love him or hate him, Dak is easily the best QB since Romo, and he was at least the Cowboys 4th option of draft-able QBs.

Every other "planned" option, has been less than successful.

And some people are inching to go back to the "Cunningham / Wright / Leaf / Stoerner / Hutchinson / Carter / Testaverde / Henson / Bledsoe / Johnson / Kitna / McGee / Orton / Weeden / Cassel / Moore" days by letting Dak walk.

And to think, the list of starting QBs above, as terrible as it is, was WAY more successful than Lynch and Cooks were in the NFL.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's actually irrelevant which players we had ranked higher but did not select. We've got players ranked higher than the ones we select in every round for every pick. Teams only get credit or blame based on who they take and where they take them.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He still could be a trade target during training camp if Iloka and Wilson don't impress.
Trade? For a safety?

D7qw-ppX4AYu_bc

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can appreciate this article pointing out all the moving parts that resulted in those draft selections, but the comparisons between Wentz and Prescott aren't really based on the reality of the situation. If Wentz had been available at No. 4, we would have taken him. He wasn't available to us, so we didn't.

As the article points out, we would also have taken Cook if the Raiders hadn't moved up for him and we tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch and failed. Getting Prescott was as more a result of luck (depending on how you feel about Prescott) than it was planning. If he becomes the franchise QB we'd all like him to be, then we're as fortunate that things fell the way that they did, including the Eagles moving up to take Wentz before we ever had a chance.

I am not so sure if Wentz was there at #4 they would have taken him.
Remember Romo was healthy at that point, or supposedly was. And they had plans for him to be the starter for several more years if not 3 years.
So I think they still would have taken Zeke or traded down to. a team that wanted a QB. And still would have went after Lynch later, but that trade did not work out, or they still had Cook, then Dak to try to get also if Lynch did not work out to get.

But it is just my opinion, as everyone has their own thoughts on it.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Some don't believe it but reports were that Dallas was drafting Dak regardless if they took Cook or Lynch

HungryLion

Reaction score
It's actually irrelevant which players we had ranked higher but did not select. We've got players ranked higher than the ones we select in every round for every pick. Teams only get credit or blame based on who they take and where they take them.

It’s not relevant to how it impacts the team as it stands. Every team is affected by both good and bad luck when it comes to drafting. For sure.

I do think it’s worth taking to account, and something people who want to replace Dak should take into consideration. If the team did get rid of Dak we could go through years with the likes of Paxton Lynch’s and Connor cooks, before finding another good QB.

reddyuta

Reaction score
The fact this front office had Connor Cook ranked so high on their board is the real story here. Geezus Criminy.

Cook was a turd.
seriously, he had a noodle arm and didn't pass the eye test.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some don't believe it but reports were that Dallas was drafting Dak regardless if they took Cook or Lynch

Reminds me of a friend, as not sure why he is a friend, as he is an idiot about some things. Guess not an idiot, but hard headed even when facts are presented to him. Kind of like some on here. :laugh:

Anyway, the 3 months leading up to the draft in 2016. He kept saying Dallas should look at drafting Dak to groom for Tony. And I agreed with him.
Then they drafted him. And he said he thinks they got a good deal there. All throughout the 2016 season, he didn't say much.
But then during the 2017 season he didn't comment too much, but started his hate on him. Now he says the same thing over and over, he can't throw past 10 yards and all that crap. I asked him why did he change his opinion. He said he didn't he never liked him.

Though I show him stats, he says, oh, he did not know that, but yet the next day he repeats it again. Well he repeats a lot of stores over and over.
But now I tell him he is just an idiot. But he is used to that from many people. :lmao:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Reminds me of a friend, as not sure why he is a friend, as he is an idiot about some things. Guess not an idiot, but hard headed even when facts are presented to him. Kind of like some on here. :laugh:

Anyway, the 3 months leading up to the draft in 2016. He kept saying Dallas should look at drafting Dak to groom for Tony. And I agreed with him.
Then they drafted him. And he said he thinks they got a good deal there. All throughout the 2016 season, he didn't say much.
But then during the 2017 season he didn't comment too much, but started his hate on him. Now he says the same thing over and over, he can't throw past 10 yards and all that crap. I asked him why did he change his opinion. He said he didn't he never liked him.

Though I show him stats, he says, oh, he did not know that, but yet the next day he repeats it again. Well he repeats a lot of stores over and over.
But now I tell him he is just an idiot. But he is used to that from many people. :lmao:
The lack of ability to let go of Romo is real.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
By the reasoning of some, the 49ers were "lucky" to have drafted Montana. The Patriots were "lucky" to have drafted Brady. Go far back enough, the Cowboys were "lucky" no team took an earlier flyer on Staubach. The Cowboys were "lucky" Prescott turned out to be a good NFL starter after having lasted nearly through the 4th round. But the 49ers did choose Montana, as the Patriots chose Brady, as the Cowboys chose Staubach. Other teams could have enjoyed similar "luck." The NFL Draft is an exercise in imperfection. Some teams, reportedly, would have chosen Leaf over Manning. Stuff happens. We criticize teams for their poor selections. When a draft choice (or original free agent) exceeds expectations, it seems a bit odd to caveat any praise.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I could see this as being a possibility. But I think that would also be highly dependent on how the draft fell.

If the cowboys had drafted Lynch in the first. Do they use a 4th on Dak, or try to wait until later? If so, is he still there?

If they used their first 4th rounder on Cook, do we really think they use their second 4th rounder on another QB?

What happens if another player they really love fell to them in the 4th and they already had a QB?

So if the cowboys did land cook or lynch. I could see many scenarios where the cowboys were still interested in drafting Dak but never pull the trigger or get beat to the punch by another team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not relevant to how it impacts the team as it stands. Every team is affected by both good and bad luck when it comes to drafting. For sure.

I do think it’s worth taking to account, and something people who want to replace Dak should take into consideration. If the team did get rid of Dak we could go through years with the likes of Paxton Lynch’s and Connor cooks, before finding another good QB.

Which players we had ranked ahead of which other players might matter if we had the full board. Or matter more if we had the full board and also could see how other teams ranked those same players. An anonymous anecdotal leak that we might or might not have dodged a bullet by not taking a higher-rated QB earlier? That's just something designed to undermine the fact that we got a great pick with the player we actually took instead.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

I disagree it was luck. Dallas had plenty of information on Dak. I would agree it was a fall back plan but it was not lucky.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Which players we had ranked ahead of which other players might matter if we had the full board. Or matter more if we had the full board and also could see how other teams ranked those same players. An anonymous anecdotal leak that we might or might not have dodged a bullet by not taking a higher-rated QB earlier? That's just something designed to undermine the fact that we got a great pick with the player we actually took instead.

I agree the intent of some is definitely to undermine the hard work and decision making that made the team have Dak as a target in the first place. For sure.

I am also just pointing out that I also think this Dak situation highlights how damn hard it is to find a good QB. I mean teams burn first round picks on QB’s every year, who end up not being any good. The Cowboys are not the only team that struggles to evaluate QB’s. Every team in the league does.