CFZ Bye Week Bliss

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I know the trade deadline was frustrating. Jerry was out talking up his book and then nothing. It is VERY frustrating that he and sonny boy Stephen are always in front of a microphone being arrogant clowns. That said what did we really want? A WR? No way. Gallup will get better every week, Washington is coming back. Brown will be healthy. Lamb needs to step up. They are set there and any trade capital used would have been a waste. OL would have been a good add because I think they need more depth. For some reason Smith is being viewed as a viable add rather soon. I just don't see how that is possible given his injury but whatever Jerry has floated that so maybe he knows something. Still, they need help here. DT would have been my choice as the only weakness they seem to have is run defense. Hankins will help but I thought the Hill cut meant something was coming. It didn't and they seem to be weak there. We will see...

All that said this team is 6-2. Who would have thought that after the crap sandwich opener? What I like about this team is that they are playing hungry, getting off to good starts, and beating some teams up. They NEVER did that under that clown Garrett. McCarthy and Quinn seem to have this team motivated. Moore is a disaster but I think we will see Big Mike call more plays if that doesn't improve. The defense is the best we have had since the 90s. Run defense needs to improve because Minnesota, SF and Philly can really run it. Besides the DTs the LBs need to do a better job. LVE can not shed a blocker, ever. I liked what I saw from Clark as he showed more nose to the ball ability in that game than LVE has shown in 3 years. Hankins will help. I think Quinn will be able to do a better job with the run scheme. It's going to be OK. Special Teams looks great. They actually have a kick returner. Maher has been great. All good there. Offensively, I think they get better every week. Chicago has a good defense and Dak and Co. just shredded them. Gallup is going to get better. Good performances by the TEs. Pollard is a stud. The OL has me a bit concerned because of injuries so we will have to see about that. Think about it...this team can defend and score. When was the last time we could say that about the Dallas Cowboys?

So sure the trade deadline sucked. Jerry was vintage Jerry. Still 6-2 is damn good and I think this team can do something special. First time I thought that in a long time.

Thoughts?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I wouldn't have minded something at the deadline but the price for some of these guys makes me okay with how it turned out. I'm not as high on Brandin Cooks as some seem to be, and his $18 million guaranteed for 2023 would've created more issues for Cap Boy to work through. I think Hankins was a decent addition, but anyone expecting a "splash" yesterday was setting themselves up for disappointment. We'll see if anything happens with a certain free agent.

Hopefully, we'll see the offense improve as the season goes on as opposed to what happened last year. Defense will remain solid as long as there aren't major injuries.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m just not sure who we would have let go or put on the practice squad. To make room for somebody. Just like free agency. I wish it came after the draft. Many of those prima donna’s wouldn’t even get paid. I like what we have.

shabazz

Reaction score
Love getting the 2 weeks to rest Micah and the fellas nursing injuries. As far as being content with no additions other than Hankerson?………I can see the writing on the wall and I’m concerned

for those of you that are content with the current roster status……I sincerely hope y’all and Jerry are right.

I will be ecstatic to be wrong and whip the Niners and McCafree and Deebo with our guys

fivetwos

Reaction score
I can’t fathom why people don’t think Lamb, Gallup, Brown and Washington can’t make up a group we can win with…..especially when we absolutely need to be a run first team.

If anything it’s about Lamb not showing #1 numbers as of yet with mostly a backup. Give it time.

We are so much better off not having dealt good draft capital for a WR yesterday.

CWR

Reaction score
I know the trade deadline was frustrating. Jerry was out talking up his book and then nothing. It is VERY frustrating that he and sonny boy Stephen are always in front of a microphone being arrogant clowns. That said what did we really want? A WR? No way. Gallup will get better every week, Washington is coming back. Brown will be healthy. Lamb needs to step up. They are set there and any trade capital used would have been a waste. OL would have been a good add because I think they need more depth. For some reason Smith is being viewed as a viable add rather soon. I just don't see how that is possible given his injury but whatever Jerry has floated that so maybe he knows something. Still, they need help here. DT would have been my choice as the only weakness they seem to have is run defense. Hankins will help but I thought the Hill cut meant something was coming. It didn't and they seem to be weak there. We will see...

All that said this team is 6-2. Who would have thought that after the crap sandwich opener? What I like about this team is that they are playing hungry, getting off to good starts, and beating some teams up. They NEVER did that under that clown Garrett. McCarthy and Quinn seem to have this team motivated. Moore is a disaster but I think we will see Big Mike call more plays if that doesn't improve. The defense is the best we have had since the 90s. Run defense needs to improve because Minnesota, SF and Philly can really run it. Besides the DTs the LBs need to do a better job. LVE can not shed a blocker, ever. I liked what I saw from Clark as he showed more nose to the ball ability in that game than LVE has shown in 3 years. Hankins will help. I think Quinn will be able to do a better job with the run scheme. It's going to be OK. Special Teams looks great. They actually have a kick returner. Maher has been great. All good there. Offensively, I think they get better every week. Chicago has a good defense and Dak and Co. just shredded them. Gallup is going to get better. Good performances by the TEs. Pollard is a stud. The OL has me a bit concerned because of injuries so we will have to see about that. Think about it...this team can defend and score. When was the last time we could say that about the Dallas Cowboys?

So sure the trade deadline sucked. Jerry was vintage Jerry. Still 6-2 is damn good and I think this team can do something special. First time I thought that in a long time.

Thoughts?

Same, but I'm going to do my best to temper expectations, at least until I see us playing well down the stretch.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Not for me it wasn't. There were any deals that made sense for the Cowboys. So I didn't expect any.

I know there are some that needed talked in off the ledge all because they listened to Jerry. HUGE mistake.

agree. Didn't really see anything out there that I would have done.

ShortRound

Reaction score
We’re relatively healthy, no huge mistakes made. Let’s just rest up and keep going.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Well I would've been upset at OBJ. But some tweaking of the defense for the run game would've been appreciated.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys don’t always come back from bye weeks looking sharp. Can’t afford to show up at Lambeau looking flat regardless how the Packers are playing. The last time we played the Packers Aaron Jones put up something like 185 yards and four TDs. It was the other Aaron that did the damage.

Last edited:

JustChip

Reaction score
The Cowboys don’t always come back from bye weeks looking sharp. Can afford to show up at Lambeau looking flat regardless how the Packers are playing. The last time we played the Packers Aaron Jones put up something like 185 yards and four TDs. It was the other Aaron that did the damage.
They’ve won the game after the bye the last 2 years under McCarthy. Strangely, both were the Vikings in Minnesota.

I’m optimistic Aaron Rodgers won’t own this defense like he did Marinelli’s and he makes their running game go, not the other way around.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
What's going to suck is we have Green Bay & the Vikings, both on the road. Followed by NY four days later....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They’ve won the game after the bye the last 2 years under McCarthy. Strangely, both were the Vikings in Minnesota.

I’m optimistic Aaron Rodgers won’t own this defense like he did Marinelli’s and he makes their running game go, not the other way around.

We’ll be catching the Packers at a good time with them struggling. I’m just hoping they don’t have a real good game against Detroit on Sunday to get them going. Anytime we face Aaron Rodgers it’s always nerve-racking. They’re likely to try and pound us on the ground with Aaron Jones who lit us up during Jason Garrett’s final season, but Rodgers could decide to come out winging it. I seriously doubt it though with the struggles they’ve had with their passing game and pass protection.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't have minded something at the deadline but the price for some of these guys makes me okay with how it turned out. I'm not as high on Brandin Cooks as some seem to be, and his $18 million guaranteed for 2023 would've created more issues for Cap Boy to work through. I think Hankins was a decent addition, but anyone expecting a "splash" yesterday was setting themselves up for disappointment. We'll see if anything happens with a certain free agent.

Hopefully, we'll see the offense improve as the season goes on as opposed to what happened last year. Defense will remain solid as long as there aren't major injuries.
I imagine Hankins will be making a substantial difference for the defense in the next couple of weeks. Cooks would've been a solid add, but $18m is a steep price to pay for a guy coming in during the middle of the season, learning on the fly, on a team that has some big contracts coming up.

I'm happy with how it all played out. You can't just make moves for the sake of making moves. It seems the Jones clan has learned from their past mistakes and held steady for the good of the team.

JustChip

Reaction score
We’ll be catching the Packers at a good time with them struggling. I’m just hoping they don’t have a real good game against Detroit on Sunday to get them going. Anytime we face Aaron Rodgers it’s always nerve-racking. They’re likely to try and pound us on the ground with Aaron Jones who lit us up during Jason Garrett’s final season, but Rodgers could decide to come out winging it. I seriously doubt it though with the struggles they’ve had with their passing game and pass protection.
That game being in Detroit, the back end of 2 road games for the Packers, helps. I won’t be surprised to see Detroit win.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hankins was a trade during the season that made sense. I’m not sure why people are over looking this trade as a trade at the deadline. I would have liked to see another similar valued trade on the final day, but not just for the purpose of saying we made one.

I am glad we didn’t give up compensation for Cooks. He’s not what we needed nor the player to put us over the top.

The Cowboys are “good enough” to win it all. Let’s have some confidence in these coaches to get it done. This is the best coaching we have had since the JJ super bowl years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bye week came at a good time. Seemed quite a few players with nicks and bruises and minor nagging injuries.
Heal up this week, get in some good solid practice next week.

Get Hankins more up to speed with the defense and assignments.
Now with Hill gone, and not so much him, but it clears up a crowded DL rotation. Less players, more reps, get in a better flow during the game. I think that can help.
Maybe the activate Watkins from the PS for full time roster spot.

Hopefully Washington returns, but not heard anything as too if he has been activated to practice.
Zeke gets healthy, bet that 1-2 RB punch going. Then make that run and need Philly to drop a few games also.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
Much easier to enjoy the bye week coming off two wins. Now we gotta concern ourselves with knocking off the rust/bye week let down.