Byron Jones. Is he a key to our new defense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Redball Express, Feb 21, 2020.

1. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

2,772 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    I

don't

think

we

are

going

to

resign

him

2. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

18,412 Messages
    20,591 Likes Received
    You do at the end of the first round. In many drafts, you are lucky to find decent that late.

3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

61,416 Messages
    67,720 Likes Received
    Undoubtedly so. But after five years, it's assured that Byron Jones isn't a playmaker.

I'm not crazy about replacing him either. If I could keep him for $10 million a year, I would. But I am even less crazy about the idea of paying top of the market money to a "good, not a game breaker" cornerback. That's why I make that distinction and why I draw a line in terms of salary.

No, their track record hasn't been especially good at this position. I'm optimistic that the new faces and ideas can help to improve the success rate in that area. But I'm not allowing fear of change to push me to make rash salary cap decisions out of fear either.

kskboys likes this.
  4. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

2,904 Messages
    2,135 Likes Received
    you don't ever hope to draft " decent" at any part of the first round. If your draft pick ends up decent, then he's not going to impact your team.
    the early the round, the more you're aiming and taking in the greater chance and expectation of your 1st rounder being the biggest impact of your draft, and
    that much more of a pro bowl caliber player than any other round.
    Decent is Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Scandrick,, Barry church, Ron Leary, etc. ..and it's looking like Awuzie and Xavier is unfortunately heading that way.

You definitely don't want or count on your 1st rounders like LVE,..Zack Martin ... or even Taco Charleton to be just "decent " ...and only thanks to Richard that we finally saw Byron Jones be more than
    just decent as what he was a free safety.

5. kskboys

18,412 Messages
    20,591 Likes Received
    Yes, you do. You might want to start looking back at late first rounders, and you'll quickly see what I mean. Not early to mid, just late. And Byron was a small school project player who only went that high because he won the underwear olympics!!!!

6. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

21,335 Messages
    36,378 Likes Received
    stash, they already did that with Lawrence and Elliott and Bryant before that. And the agents all know it. They're blinkers.

The other part of this is Jones has been silent, do we know if he even wants to play for Dallas? I don't know if this had been a pleasant experience for him and there are teams that favor D players.

The lack of news about him has been attributed to all the noise and Prescott and a little about Cooper. What if it's quiet because his agent has let it be known that he would prefer to look around?

Biggest myth on these boards is that every player would prefer to play for the Dallas Cowboys.

Aviano90 likes this.
  7. DUO_CORE

DUO_CORE Well-Known Member

452 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    Byron Jones. Is he a key to our new defense?

Yes! Opposing offenses key on whoever he is covering.

8. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

61,416 Messages
    67,720 Likes Received
    In all of the cases you've cited? Undoubtedly so. But I sure haven't gotten that same "can't live without him!" impression when Byron Jones' name has been brought up, have you? If so, I'd be very interested to see it. I'm betting I won't.

That's cool with me, there's the door. Best of luck in finding your greener pastures elsewhere.

Again, in this case, I hope he wants to move on, and that there's another team that will be overpaying him. I have no interest nor desire to see the team pay huge money for a non-playmaker.

9. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

2,904 Messages
    2,135 Likes Received
    we can look back at the results ..but if they ended up being just decent, you can be assured that teams wanted, and expected much more ...and there's nothing they can do after they've experienced those
    high expectation 1st rounders that ended up being just average to 1st round bust guys.

The NFL draft still remains is a crap shoot. it's not a stamped tattoo guaranteed, just as any major league sport is, but teams expect the higher up the first round latter and top 5 overall picks to come out blockbuster players

the only thing you can hope do as a personnel team to hit it big with one of those first rounders that includes that you have did everything possible in their due diligence in establishing the value and grading rates of their draft board, ...and many teams are of course different in how they choose to evaluate and established draft value.

and Byron's tremendous athleticism played into the team picking him, but it wasn't just off his Olympic caliber broad jump traits alone. Game tape. scouting how he plays the game, seeing how
    he factors in as a CB, or a safety, slot ..all came into part of them finalizing a decision to select him. They thought his versatility, or " Flex" position played another big part of drafting him, and he
    could be a great player once they've worked him around to see what position best maximized his role here, ..(or so the previous DB coach Joe Baker crew thought)

10. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

18,537 Messages
    17,405 Likes Received
    even beyond that, no CB should be “the key” to your defense unless he’s Deion and BJ is not even in the same zip code

stasheroo and kskboys like this.
  11. CouchCoach

21,335 Messages
    36,378 Likes Received
    Jones is a good player, not a great player. How many good players can a team pay great money and not get great play? Not many.

stasheroo and kskboys like this.
  12. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

8,805 Messages
    6,164 Likes Received
    This, don't get it twisted, it's all about having disruptive DT's upfront and then ends being able to get to the QB and play the run.

kskboys likes this.
  13. kskboys

18,412 Messages
    20,591 Likes Received
    I think there may be more teams looking for "decent" at the end of the first round than you think.

And it does depend on the draft. Some drafts are deep, some you're lucky to get a decent starter after the first 10 or 15.

14. kskboys

18,412 Messages
    20,591 Likes Received
    Wholeheartedly agree!!!

15. Starforever

Starforever Well-Known Member

2,536 Messages
    1,561 Likes Received
    All of this talk about Byron, is trash. Some of you act like he's Deion, Woodson, or Revis. He is okay for the Cowboys, but send him to another team; Nnamdi Asomugha. When he's thrown at, I can't see the difference between him and Chido. Of course, all of you scouts, coaches, and former pro players, see different.

kskboys and Cowboysheelsreds053 like this.
  16. Aviano90

Aviano90 Go Seahawks!!!

9,660 Messages
    14,058 Likes Received
    That’s a little refreshing. I remember when the myth was nobody wanted to play for the Cowboys. Also, no good coach would work for Jerry.

CouchCoach likes this.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

45,661 Messages
    45,537 Likes Received
    Sign Dak or Cooper. Use one of the two tags on Jones.

The End. No more need to discuss.

18. mattjames2010

mattjames2010 Well-Known Member

17,946 Messages
    16,176 Likes Received
    Is this some weird joke that he gives up a lot of plays? Because it's false.

19. mattjames2010

mattjames2010 Well-Known Member

17,946 Messages
    16,176 Likes Received
    Scouts had him go in the first round. Coaches/GMs will get him to be the highest paid CB in free agency this year.

You don't get football.

20. CouchCoach

21,335 Messages
    36,378 Likes Received
    There's another twist to this, if not Jones, then they're left to pick one and the last one this team picked that was worth a damn was Kevin Smith in 92.

I look at Lord Byron just like I do Prescott, he ain't marvelous but do I want these people picking a different one? I do not trust them with QB's or DB's and barely on DE's.

Starforever likes this.