Byron Jones. Is he a key to our new defense?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He doesn't give up a lot of plays but it's safe to take a chance and throw his way because there's no worry of an int.

That would be more accurate for Anthony Brown...

You know, the guy this board thinks is a good idea to resign because he's "cheap".

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With all the buzz about Dak and Amari being priorities going forward..

Now that Richard is gone, where does this leave Jones?

We tend to take him for granted and we assume he is replaceable.

I think not.

Initially he was drafted to be our safety. He was used at both safety positions before moving him to CB.

In our new defense, multiple position talent is not expendable to me.

If we moved him back to safety in zone defenses and out to CB in man to man..

he suddenly becomes multi useful and can disguise the defense prior to the snap. This should be very confusing for their QB to figure out.

And supposedly he is fast and won broad jumps in college. Meaning he should be effective as a blitzer.

This would be interesting as well..blitz from CB or safety.

What a concept.

So now should we keep Jones, give him more options to use him and forget spending a high draft pick trying to find a top safety?

I just believe if we are having to fortify everywhere on defense, it becomes a leaky dam to fix.

And depending on rookies to rescue us is not good.

Landry used to say for every rookie you have starting..

it will cost you 1 game a year.

Hmmmm..

As always..comments from the peanut gallery?

Thanx in advance for your replies?

:starspin::huh::starspin:

he was part of the problem with our defense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That is amazing. I had to post it if it already hadn't been. Half a foot better than anyone ever? Freak.

glimmerman

Reaction score

That is amazing. I had to post it if it already hadn't been. Half a foot better than anyone ever? Freak.

Was awesome and his rookie year we played him at corner and some safety and he was up for Rookie Defensive Player Of The Year. Great athlete but not a safety.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Literally the only reason this forum doesn't like Byron is because of a lack of INT's lol.
He does everything else well. He shuts down his side of the field for the most part. Don’t get the hate he receives

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't understand why so many are overrating Bryon Jones. He isn't an elite CB in any way. He has one skill set, press, shadow coverage. Cannot play in zone, is a poor tackler, has zero ball skills. Doesn't that sound like Orlando Scandrick or T. Newman? Would you pay either 14 million a season in their primes? The team needs to upgrade the position with a true, #1 type CB!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Outside of Deion Sanders, I have never seen a CB be a "key" to a defense.

In fact, if he is so good, why wasn't he a key to Dallas' defense the past five years?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Scouts had him go in the first round. Coaches/GMs will get him to be the highest paid CB in free agency this year.

You don't get football.

Hello Pot, so now do you understand the contract negotiations, of Zeke and Dak?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jones will be gone. Too much $$. Dak & Coop are Cowboys priorities.

shabazz

Reaction score

Thank God they didn't hang a football at the high point of that jump contest. Would have hampered his performance.

"Lord, I apologize for that one there, and please be with all the starving Pygmies down there in New Guinea"