Twitter: Byron Jones? Still elite

JBond

Reaction score
Byron's one those CB similar to T-New or Brandon Carr. Will never be sexy or flashes with a lot interceptions but a consistent CB you can count on doing his job each and every week. He'll be a starter in the league for 12-15 years. Now I'm sure if that's elite but he's dependable and reliable.
Nailed it. Bigger than T-New and not as fast, but has other freakish athletic abilities.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Byron's one those CB similar to T-New or Brandon Carr. Will never be sexy or flashes with a lot interceptions but a consistent CB you can count on doing his job each and every week. He'll be a starter in the league for 12-15 years. Now I'm sure if that's elite but he's dependable and reliable.
T New had 32 ints in 9 years. Byron would have to play until he was 70 to get 32 ints

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Still elite???? Was he ever? I recall he was just about to be labled a bust....I got no problem letting this guy walk.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Hes really good hes not elite. You have to change the game to be elite

People really need to stop throwing this 'elite' word around to so many players. As you said, elite means actually leaving a mark on the game. Changing the game somehow. Grabbing momentum. Jones does none of that. He has no idea how to track a ball. Make any plays. Get picks. All the makings of an elite corner. There is an enormous difference in being good vs being elite. I am not sure this defense has one elite player on it. Maybe Quinn? Lawrence can be but he's not consistent enough.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Not for nothin but for him to be considered Elite - he's have to follow the other teams #1 receiver all over the field and shut them down imho.

Oh and some INTs would help...

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Okay, so he may not be "elite" but I'd much rather have a "shutdown" corner that doesn't turn the ball over as opposed to one that couldn't cover to save his life.

Besides, if he's extremely good at covering, balls won't get thrown his way, he won't pick them off.

I'm slightly grasping for straws, however, I'm mostly being serious. I have a hard time believing that turnovers solely dictate solid DB play, especially when the dude has given up like 2 TDs in 25 games.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Guy shut down half the field I’m games and he’s a bust. He shut down Micheal Thomas last year and this year. That’s no small task. I know he struggled some late last year but he is elite.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Maybe its because the LBs havent been as well in coverage and Chido still doesnt play the ball in the air? Why bother throwing to Byron? Heath cant cover and Woods has been hurt.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
It's just a damn shame we had an old, senile, incompetent DC playing him at safety all those years.

conner01

Reaction score
He did? Remember having the same issues.....he's didn't get a lot interception but he was damn good at keeping his out the endzone. In fact, I remember Parcell telling reporters how T-New may not get a lot of interceptions but his guy doesn't catch a lot passes either.
I think t-new had 12 in first 4 yrs
Fans did gripe about him but he was very good
Jones is a good CB but to me to be elite you need the int’s