Twitter: Byron Jones- the lockdown playmaking CB

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Maybe lockdown, but he's not really a playmaker. If he'd just turn his damn head around he'd probably have 5-6 picks cause he's almost always in the receivers pocket.

All that said, I'm just happy he's playing at a high level. I'll take it.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
Huh? What picks has he created for others? Sincere question. Has he had a deflection get picked off?

My personal take is that his lockdown ways have forced QBs to throw to secondary and tertiary receivers who likely aren't as sure handed. Does Julio tip a ball to LVE like Ridley did? Hard to know because he blanketed most of the day.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I love the way fans judge players. This is why I NEVER listen to fans. By my account, pretty much everyone had him cut or gone last year. Coaching matters. Kris Richard took him, turned him back into a corner, now he's a Pro Bowler just like that. If an offensive coach like Richard's got a hold of Dak, look out.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I love the way fans judge players. This is why I NEVER listen to fans. By my account, pretty much everyone had him cut or gone last year. Coaching matters. Kris Richard took him, turned him back into a corner, now he's a Pro Bowler just like that. If an offensive coach like Richard's got a hold of Dak, look out.

So, pretty much all the fans were right about him being a terrible safety? Cool story, bro.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
My personal take is that his lockdown ways have forced QBs to throw to secondary and tertiary receivers who likely aren't as sure handed. Does Julio tip a ball to LVE like Ridley did? Hard to know because he blanketed most of the day.

I don't think you can really credit Byron Jones with other people's coverage. If Byron tips a ball that's picked, he absolutely deserves credit for that. If Awuzie undercuts a ball throw to another receiver, Byron Jones doesn't get that credit.

Also, Byron doesn't shadow the teams best receivers. We still play them exclusively based on left or right side of the formation, so let's not act like he's shadowing teams best weapons.

Byron has been a revelation this year and I am incredibly excited for that and about his impact on this defense, but he's not what I would call a "playmaker."

I liken it to linebackers who make a ton of tackles, but get very few behind the LOS or other splash plays. They're great backers and great players, but not "playmakers."

Playmakers "make plays" by literal definition.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
I don't think you can really credit Byron Jones with other people's coverage. If Byron tips a ball that's picked, he absolutely deserves credit for that. If Awuzie undercuts a ball throw to another receiver, Byron Jones doesn't get that credit.

Also, Byron doesn't shadow the teams best receivers. We still play them exclusively based on left or right side of the formation, so let's not act like he's shadowing teams best weapons.

Byron has been a revelation this year and I am incredibly excited for that and about his impact on this defense, but he's not what I would call a "playmaker."

I liken it to linebackers who make a ton of tackles, but get very few behind the LOS or other splash plays. They're great backers and great players, but not "playmakers."

Playmakers "make plays" by literal definition.

He's been following top WRs more the last few weeks. He spend most of Thursday following Thomas. He's not getting many interceptions, but he's getting lots off pass breakups, which I think of as making plays.

You're right though, he's a revelation but isn't directly responsible for many turnovers.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He's been following top WRs more the last few weeks. He spend most of Thursday following Thomas. He's not getting many interceptions, but he's getting lots off pass breakups, which I think of as making plays.

You're right though, he's a revelation but isn't directly responsible for many turnovers.

You're right, I guess his pass breakups should be considered almost like splash plays. He is very good at that. That's the main reason I know if he just turned his head he'd have a ton of picks.

TheHerd

Reaction score
To be fair, pretty much everyone thought he should be a corner and that he'd be a better corner than he was a safety.

If Richard hadn't come and forced the geniuses to put Byron where everyone know he should be, the masses would have been right because Byron just wasn't very good at safety.