California, after historic Jan rain and Feb snow. might get a hammer blow

T-RO

Reaction score
This is matter of huge consequence for health and safety for Californians.

Anyone in California please please be mindful of medium to long term weather forecasts.

On this site you can review the long-term European and U.S. weather modeling and if this holds up, could present the worst combo of all:
Massive dumps of warm rain...that extend without stop for weeks. Given record-breaking snow pack and ground saturation...Severe and widespread flooding is a possibility.

Please check it out.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...ion=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn&runtime=2023030600&fh=84

T-RO

Reaction score
INCONCEIVABLE! Imagine yourself in these California mountains. And so many more storms on the way.

People trapped in their homes. Stores and homes roof collapsing.

If more weeks of storms come...some of them with warm Pineapple Express rains come as currently projected...I can't even imagine

Last edited:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m on the coast just North of Santa Barbara, so the weather isn’t too bad…….just colder and some rain. it is pretty bad blizzard conditions not too far away. Some roads are closed here and there but the rain/snow was much needed.

T-RO

Reaction score
I’m on the coast just North of Santa Barbara, so the weather isn’t too bad…….just colder and some rain. it is pretty bad blizzard conditions not too far away. Some roads are closed here and there but the rain/snow was much needed.
Yes it was needed and welcome. But it's now nearing a tipping point.

Snow fall in Sierras? Historic throughout the state, but now over 250% normal in central sierras. Atmospheric river rain storms - warm rain - is expected starting Friday. And current models convey these additional storms could come in waves. That will bring massive water on its own to the valleys but also massive melt. Anyone in foothills or valley near a river needs to keep an eye on this.

I don't think So cal is quite at the same threat level, though San Bernardino mountains have been a mess with people trapped in homes, and collapsing roofs.

Here's the next 10 day expected precipitation.

MorePrecip.png

T-RO

Reaction score
SoCal mountain community Crestline loses it's main grocery store to snow-roof collapse.

SBS-L-GOODWINS-0302-03-1.jpg

Sierras and Central Valley will be chief concerns

T-RO

Reaction score
Note: there are two main weather models: ECMWF and GFS. The GFS shows a bit less precipitation coming and very little for So Cal.

T-RO

Reaction score
3 Story Apartment building buried in avalanche last week in Olympic Valley

33294768-11c2-4594-83d3-7b2c03bd6223-olympic_valley_avalanche_one_.jpg

nobody

Reaction score
Wow, those images... I never would have believed it was California. It's a scary thing for people living there. On the bright side, that will be a lot of snow melt to help mitigate some of the drought come Spring. Let's hope they can hang in there until then.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, those images... I never would have believed it was California. It's a scary thing for people living there. On the bright side, that will be a lot of snow melt to help mitigate some of the drought come Spring. Let's hope they can hang in there until then.
I’m curious as to whether or not they’ve done anything to improve their dams and reservoirs so that they’re better prepared in the future?

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is matter of huge consequence for health and safety for Californians.

Anyone in California please please be mindful of medium to long term weather forecasts.

On this site you can review the long-term European and U.S. weather modeling and if this holds up, could present the worst combo of all:
Massive dumps of warm rain...that extend without stop for weeks. Given record-breaking snow pack and ground saturation...Severe and widespread flooding is a possibility.

Please check it out.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...ion=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn&runtime=2023030600&fh=84
Good stuff
its been wild

Define historic

triplets_93

Reaction score
INCONCEIVABLE! Imagine yourself in these California mountains. And so many more storms on the way.

People trapped in their homes. Stores and homes roof collapsing.

If more weeks of storms come...some of them with warm Pineapple Express rains come as currently projected...I can't even imagine

If you live in an area where you can historically get snowed in, then you should be stocked up for such a predicament.
Being shut in, in your home, with your family for a week should not be so bad...

It's not like you're the Torrances...

T-RO

Reaction score
If you live in an area where you can historically get snowed in, then you should be stocked up for such a predicament.
Being shut in, in your home, with your family for a week should not be so bad...

It's not like you're the Torrances...
Mountain people should be prepared, but let's keep it real. This is presenting real hardship.

There are stories of folks missing their chemo treatments. Pregnant women. People who work down the hill getting fired since they can't show up to work (now after 11 days)

In San Bernardino right now you can go down the mountain but they won't let you back up to your home (widely reported in news)

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
They say by the end of the week they will have had more snow in Sierra than any season on record.

40 feet of snow!
That's amazing.

Hey, I only asked about "historic" because its an awful term.....what YOU said "on record" is by far the best way to describe it nd anything weather related.
We haven't been keeping records for very long at all, in other words. That goes for warm and cold. It's a millisecond in our history and in reality.
No offense to you at all... its just a pet peeve.

It IS serious business for those caught up in it.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
SoCal mountain community Crestline loses it's main grocery store to snow-roof collapse.

SBS-L-GOODWINS-0302-03-1.jpg

Sierras and Central Valley will be chief concerns
Wow, I got out just in time. I lived in Big Bear for almost 17 years, which is further up the mountain than Crestline. Still have my Stepdaughter and a lot of friends there. I feel for them but am so glad to be out of that place. Being from Texas, I never adjusted to the snow. It was in the 80's today where I am now.