Call me crazy, but I think a 3rd tag might be a possibility

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jaythecowboy, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Scotman

Scotman Well-Known Member

2,742 Messages
    3,148 Likes Received
    Dak has been on the decline? Where do you come up with a statement like that? No one who watches objectively thinks Dak has declined. Further, big dollar QB's on average teams are still on average teams. QB's don't win it all by themselves. Our defense has been dreadful for years. And to call Dak a bigger version of RGIII is beyond ridiculous. Dak has been better than RGIII at EVERYTHING in the NFL. I have never waivered on not backing up a Brink's truck to Dak's house. We truly shouldn't and I've argued it's a mistake on Dak's part. Dak and the team are making a huge mistake. But your reasoning is just plain wrong.

Jake likes this.
  2. J-man

J-man Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    735 Likes Received
    ok, you're crazy

3. MarcusRock

MarcusRock Well-Known Member

5,427 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    I guess I'm not seeing how that changes things in the team's favor. Dak shows up an additional year and gets $52M up front then and walks away with $90M for 2 more years of control. That is highest paid QB for that period by a longshot I'm thinking. Think about it. He was offered ~$110M guaranteed for 5 years last year but walks away with $120M in 3 years (and 2 years earlier than the 5-year offer) plus can sign a mega deal anywhere if his play holds up or even improves for a good deal more than he was offered just last year. Would you take that trade?

fivetwos likes this.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

32,488 Messages
    47,421 Likes Received
    It'll be $55 million. You'll have to cut half the team.

5. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

8,499 Messages
    9,906 Likes Received
    In the teams favor that he can't necessarily walk in 10 months.

They can jerk him around even more.

Its not great leverage but he can't necessarily walk away in ten months. Thats nothing and I was wondering how and why he would cave in any aspect if that were the case.

The team is in a bad spot. We know this.

But that third tag helps them be in a better spot than they are without it.

It may help things get done as opposed to if he could just walk quite soon.

6. MarcusRock

MarcusRock Well-Known Member

5,427 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    I guess I can see how it gives the team time to find his replacement as either a bridge or a draft pick but we're unlikely to pick as high as 10 again when it comes to drafting a QB.

rocyaice likes this.
  7. hittheskids

hittheskids Well-Known Member

1,372 Messages
    2,261 Likes Received
    Absolutely no way Jerry will pay for a third tag. The price is too high, even his fogged brain would see that.

8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

42,331 Messages
    35,147 Likes Received
    You put it that way.....they have really botched this whole thing lol.

9. Motorola

Motorola Well-Known Member

1,608 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    There are two tag designations.
    One where Prescott signs and plays his last season in a Dallas uniform for 2021.
    That is the exclusive tag.
    The non-exclusive tag is the other option - which allows Prescott to entertain offers from other teams. A proposal from somewhere else is presented he likes -- Cowboys don't match--- the result is effectively a sign-and-trade. Dallas gets the much preferred mandated compensation - 2 1st picks.
    No matter how much Jerry Jones has profusely stated Prescott is "the Cowboys QB" in the past....the present state of affairs point toward a parting of ways.

10. fivetwos

8,499 Messages
    9,906 Likes Received
    Nothing to do with my point.

Nevermind.

11. fivetwos

8,499 Messages
    9,906 Likes Received
    Right but the idea that it exists helps the team in negotiations.

A little, not a lot.

Put it this way, without the 3rd tag Prescott can be gone in ten short months after pocketing 37 m for 2021.

12. hittheskids

1,372 Messages
    2,261 Likes Received
    True, but we would have to cut half the team to free up 50+ million. We would probably be worse off than an outright release.

13. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

10,989 Messages
    15,428 Likes Received
    I don't why I always thought it was limited to two years. Is there a 4th tag for 168% and on and on or is 3 years played the max?

14. hittheskids

1,372 Messages
    2,261 Likes Received
    Three year max.

BigStar likes this.
  15. D_Boyz

D_Boyz Well-Known Member

2,033 Messages
    2,771 Likes Received
    Show me all the top qbs records vs teams with winning records, and look up what they do against teams who made the play offs the prior year. You'd be amazed at what you find.

16. Motorola

Motorola Well-Known Member

1,608 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    What point are you trying to make?
    Make it a sentence.

17. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

45,713 Messages
    68,104 Likes Received
    You're crazy.

A third tag would result in a one year pay of like $53 million.

That ain't happening.

18. fivetwos

8,499 Messages
    9,906 Likes Received
    I'm not saying it's ideal, but they can threaten to jerk him around that much more.

Of course the team doesn't want that. But does Dak?

Him eating up 50+ million of the cap is a bad spot for him. Plus this mess continues.

Anything getting anywhere depends on leverage.

If Prescott could have walked away in ten short months they would never sign him to anything reasonable.

19. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

6,254 Messages
    7,664 Likes Received
    Crazy is not Politically Correct. So I’ll say sir you are a nut case.

20. hittheskids

1,372 Messages
    2,261 Likes Received
    If I was Dak and the Cowboys franchised me a third year for 53M there is now way I would turn it down. It would be probably 13M more that he would get from another team.

Then he walks, leaving us with a third round comp pick and complete rebuild.