Cam Erving didn’t look too bad in the games that he played

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I posted a review of him this off-season after he signed with the Cowboys.

He was solid in 8 starts at LT last season with the Chiefs on their path to winning a Super Bowl.

He'll often have a couple of unexplainable ugly plays per game but then look good for the majority of snaps.

He has missed about 3 games almost every season of his career and has played multiple positions both of which have kept him from becoming a legit full time starter.

He has an undisclosed health issue that arises occasionally in his career, including at the start of training camp this year.
- I've heard it might be Sickle Cell but that has not been confirmed.

Erving definitely has the required physical talent to be a starter but has just never been consistent enough to keep a starting position.
I was expecting a disaster. I was pleasantly surprised that he actually looked like a pro tackle. Much better than Knight and Steele.

dogberry

Reaction score
Now that we are back to Knight and Steele what plays can we run?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Before getting hurt, he actually didn’t look too bad in the games that he played.

Per PFF, Erving is having his best season ever. Still meh, but not horrible.
2020 57.0
2019 44.8
2018 45.9
2017 47.7
2016 46.6
2015 40.2

Knight has dropped to 58.3.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
I think Cam Erving would be a good one to extend, he can fill in all across the line.

I dont want him starting but as an emergency game day option his versatility and starting experience are pretty great qualities.
He’s a solid veteran player and good swing tackle
Though I think the future swing guy is knight

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Oh yeah he played a lot better than I expected him too. You know after some ugly showings from Cleveland & with the chiefs. What he can say over his teammates is he’s got the SB ring lol.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ultimately, I think we have great depth in the O-line, but the problem is that the "depth" players are being thrust into starting roles. This would be fine if it were just one, or maybe two positions, but realistically we haven't had 2 of our O-Line anchors this year (Frederick and Collins), another has missed most of the year (Smith), and another his missed a few games, and has now switched O-Line positions to help cover the losses (Martin).

The O-line has struggled some this year because of that, but it's not because the individual depth players aren't strong backups. I think McGovern, Biadasz, Irving and Knight have shown they can play, and it would be different having those kinds of players step in for a game or two, or even longer term as long as the bulk of the starters are still in place. The problem is having the O-line comprised mostly of backups.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't get some of the sarcastic remarks to this comment. Erving, Williams, Looney, McGovern, Martin was much more effective than Knight, Williams, Looney, McGovern, Steele. I think that was pretty obvious just watching the Vikings game, then the game against the WFT. So, Erving did not do a bad job filling in for Tyron Smith. Absolutely a true statement. There is no further meaning in it than that.. No one is suggesting he makes the Cowboys a playoff team or that he will be the reason they win the division. Be he did not appear to be a major weakness, like say Chaz Green.

I actually think, if by some miracle Martin and Erving can make it back for the last two games against the Eagles and Giants, the Cowboys could win both games. They certainly have a better chance with them than without them.

Even if just Erving comes back and Knight goes out to RT, I think the Cowboys OL is better. Steele is just not ready to be a starter yet.