Can Dak be as effective as Steve Young

Flamma

Reaction score
No I saw a great QB. I bet you never saw Moon play but it's cool lil mans. Again what is it with the personal attacks! Dude just talkin football with ya. I just disagree with you. (Go Figure). I guess I'm not welcome

at the Cool Kids table. I don't argue with people who are beneath me, and your lack of civil discourse proves all I need to know. Get back to me when you learn some politeness

I personally think Young was better than Moon, but not by much. Both are really good QBs. Steve Young I think is underrated as time goes by. He would have probably won at least 3 SBs if not for the Cowboys. The Cowboys and 49ers were two titans going at it. Joe Montana only had the Cowboys once. The rest of the time no great team stood in his way to the other 3 super bowls.

I still remember that 1990 NFC Championship game where Montana struggled all game. He got injured and Steve Young came in and moved the ball up field effortlessly. Only a Roger Craig fumble at the worst possible time blew it. Or else the 49ers probably win 3 straight Super Bowls.

Overall I don't believe Young was better than Montana. But I also didn't think the drop off was was that far. Certainly not evident.

GINeric

Reaction score
I will say taking away Dak running the ball takes a lot of his game. He’s no burner but he’s effective when he does. Having him as a drop back passer is ridiculous. He reminds me so much of Air McNair and that’s his game.

I think McNair was naturally stronger than Dak. Dak physically reminds me of McNabb.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I personally think Young was better than Moon, but not by much. Both are really good QBs. Steve Young I think is underrated as time goes by. He would have probably won at least 3 SBs if not for the Cowboys. The Cowboys and 49ers were two titans going at it. Joe Montana only had the Cowboys once. The rest of the time no great team stood in his way to the other 3 super bowls.

I still remember that 1990 NFC Championship game where Montana struggled all game. He got injured and Steve Young came in and moved the ball up field effortlessly. Only a Roger Craig fumble at the worst possible time blew it. Or else the 49ers probably win 3 straight Super Bowls.

Overall I don't believe Young was better than Montana. But I also didn't think the drop off was was that far. Certainly not evident.

I have to give to your superior Knowledge on the subject (no sarcasm) From what I saw people wanted Steve Young to be as good as Montana, He just wasn't. He wasn't even the best in his class. Montana was best in his class

Steve Young did posses running skills but there is no comparison to Joe. I hated Notre Dame but Joe was the Man. I didn't like San Francisco, yet Joe was that dude. Steve he was just somebody who could beat my Boys

when it mattered. Heck , would he even have a ring if Jerry and Jimmy could have kept their egos in check ?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
someone with Daks size, who could never juke at all, after we saw his ankle almost snap off - should not be running much

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I have to give to your superior Knowledge on the subject (no sarcasm) From what I saw people wanted Steve Young to be as good as Montana, He just wasn't. He wasn't even the best in his class. Montana was best in his class

Steve Young did posses running skills but there is no comparison to Joe. I hated Notre Dame but Joe was the Man. I didn't like San Francisco, yet Joe was that dude. Steve he was just somebody who could beat my Boys

when it mattered. Heck , would he even have a ring if Jerry and Jimmy could have kept their egos in check ?
Woe ate you so far off on how good young was. Just read he retired with the highest rating in nfl history, 2 time mvp, did Roger win any mvp awards?Steve Young was an all ti.e great....GREAT. you must be young.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
No, Dak was never a Michael Vick/Lamar Jackson etc. type of runner, for goodness' sake his 40 time at the combine was 4.79 and he didn't have great quickness either.

We saw last year he still runs about like he always did, slow, yes but he can still make a few yards. An "effective" run doesn't have to be a 20 yarder, "effective" means he makes a few yards when all the receivers are covered, e.g. and he can still do that.

Not saying it is, but your comment appears to be another bash Dak one, if so then just do it...

Not concerned with how my comment appears to you, but what we saw from Dak last year wasn't close to what we've seen from him pre-injury. I never said you have to run 20 yards for a run to be effective, but you have to run, and last year Dak just didn't. He's either hesitant because of the injury, or our coaches are even dumber than I gave them credit for. A Vick? Of course not, but he could turn the tide of a game back in the day with his run ability. He took the game on his shoulders and won the playoff game against Seattle with his feet.

Flamma

Reaction score

I've always believed Dallas would have won 4 in a row had Jimmy not left.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Dak is a physical runner and needs to be used more around the goaline and throwing outside the pocket. The way he started last season he was being kept in the pocket and was the top QB stats wise for the first 6 games.

But then the other teams caught up with what we were do)nag and then we started running the ball better and the the rb’s got banged up. Daks not coming off that injury this season and he’s in the 2nd year of his contract. He’ll be using his legs more. Even that extra 2 or 3 times a game makes the defense aga8nst the defenses.

nobody

Reaction score
Didn't Steve Young play in a West Coast offense? To truly compare them, we'd need to see Dak in a West Coast Offense. I think he'd do better but not as well as Steve Young. Young could read defenses better for one.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Didn't Steve Young play in a West Coast offense? To truly compare them, we'd need to see Dak in a West Coast Offense. I think he'd do better but not as well as Steve Young. Young could read defenses better for one.
Dak wouldn't fare well in the west coast offense. It requires quick accurate throws. His ball placement is awful inconsistent.

Mannix

Reaction score
Depends if Jerry Rice comes out of retirement . Until a SB is won around here not to keen comparing Dak to Steve Young . Heck how about an NFC championship game ….

:facepalm:
How about consistently having a winning record out of division?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How about consistently having a winning record out of division?
Wins and losses are a team stat. But since you mentioned records vs non division teams, who are you comparing Prescott to?

blueblood70

Reaction score
You clearly Quentin alive for the duration of Youngs career or were very very young.
nope im 52 was front and center in my mid 20s for the 9er cowboy rivalry in full effect and im clearly stating an opinion you can not prove is wrong noitether side camn ok homie.. not sure who quinten is but im sure hes a fool thinkigyou can try and give Young the same teams romo and Dak had thand ther results are the same and swicth that to haivng dak and romo on our gret 90s team and the 9ers and clearly im betting very similar results happen..

if you can see this or even entertain the idea that all these qbs at one time were top 5 and at worse top 10 and all on the right team would win the same way young did.

but carry on with the stubborn outdated viewpoint that only shows those great qbs on great teams and tryig to say it was Just their qb that reason for success's say you are wrong any top 10 qb today like dak could be plugged into our 3 sb team in the 90s and we would nt miss beat. Teams win championship not individual player see Dilfer, flacco, eli, and others, who rode great defense into the SB had great coaching and all they did is steer the ship..they were part of it and Young is in that mix..sorry but he while great, was NOT ELITE ,neither was Aikman IMHOP i luv the guy but watched all his success came from a dominant OL, dominate FB, HOF RB, and defense that was so deep that wore people down..

thats call ed team and for sure Dak and Romo easily fits in and wins SBs with those teams..same with say remove Smith22 and insert Zeke zeke great player you put Moose in front of him with that OL in run first era where aikman in most games was ASKED to hand it off maybe throw for 200-250 yards and lock it up..

if you cant see that many teams ie say the Lions held player like Stafford back and Stafford is dak and Romo all about the same areas of talent and it too a SB Made ready team for him to go to get, get a ring.. Dak and Romo while they have had some talent around them, they did NOIT have those teams Young and Aikman were on..

wake up! stop allowing the success of those teams to elevate the individual player like Young. Yes he was great he was no Montana..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Matt Ryan has better stats than Steve Young. I know Steve Young, and Matt Ryan, you are no Steve Young... im sure that went over your young head also
MR wasnt on the team not been close that Young had..yet was a RS MVP and made a SB give the guy those teams , those coaches they dont miss beat got it yet has it sunk in that those QBs we are discussing were PART OF great teams,...weve seen great qbs on bad teams not have sucess just stats but their play, their talent says they are on the same level of a Young without the opportunity to be on agreat tea,//man you all just have no vision or comprehension skills to follow my viewpoint..

Teams win great teams win championships. some lucky skilled QBs find their way onto those team and ride the wave others didn't get that lucky. speaking of luck the 96 sb win how in the world did that qb play for a steelers SB team..hmm he was sb qb but dude was not great..put dak or romo on that Steeler team we lose that game..well more likely we lose it.

NEXT