Can Dallas wait to draft a WR?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
We could always try using our 1st round picks on QB's and defense instead of RB's and WR's. Just a thought....

cern

Reaction score
The problems with wr's, the qb and passing game in general has been it's simplistic predictability. That's mostly on Garrett. I doubt stephen brought in New wr's, released dez, and hasn't privately told our hc and oc this needs to be addressed. I have no doubt the new wr coach, New te coach and new ol coach won't have more say in matters than their predecessors.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not trying to be ugly, but what real value does a wide receiver have when Dak is your quarterback? That's not his thing.

I don't think Antonio Brown could catch 90 balls here.
Didn't you also think the last HOF WR to win a Super Bowl was Jerry Rice in 1994...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Listening to the Draft show on DC.com, the depth at WR is much larger than the depth of quality LB's and 4-3 Dline players.
Therefore, it will be interesting to see if Dallas feels the need to select one of the Defense players first and focus on WR later.

The Cowboys HAVE to use a top 2 pick on a linebacker. We have one great linebacker that is injury prone. We have another guy we drafted in the 2nd round that we don't even know if he will ever be healthy enough to be a quality linebacker. The rest of the guys are either horrible or average.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don’t draft WR until 3rd at earliest

I've been reviewing the draft profiles of the WRs and there a lot that could fit, so IMO its really about value. I think the most likely scenario is a speed guy like you say (Pettis, Chark, etc) in the 3rd or 4th round. If you think Ridley is a top ten pick and he is there at 19, pull the trigger. But its not critical to bring in another WR and there is value all through this draft. I think the 3rd or 4th is the perfect spot.

conner01

Reaction score
I really like the cowboys to draft Anthony Miller at WR. I can't really pin point where he would go but if he is there in the 2nd I'd take him. 3rd rd would be even better if the 1st and 2nd pick filled a couple of needs.

My draft expectation may be too good to be true!
Trade back and add another pick
Getting miller is just what Dak needs
I don’t think he falls to 50
We also need a LB, G and Big DT
If we mortgaged all 10 picks to get quality players at those 4 spots I’d be tickled
No token 6th rnd pick thrown at a position
Trade what you have to to get quality at those spots and we are in good shape
Go get Bowman

Carson

Reaction score
I've been reviewing the draft profiles of the WRs and there a lot that could fit, so IMO its really about value. I think the most likely scenario is a speed guy like you say (Pettis, Chark, etc) in the 3rd or 4th round. If you think Ridley is a top ten pick and he is there at 19, pull the trigger. But its not critical to bring in another WR and there is value all through this draft. I think the 3rd or 4th is the perfect spot.
Good post and points. Agree on everything

It’s different sitting here a week before the draft and thinking who goes where. When we get to 19, like you said if Ridley is there and he is the BPA I’m ok with it.

I just think a MLB, OG would make a bigger impact for us.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Listening to the Draft show on DC.com, the depth at WR is much larger than the depth of quality LB's and 4-3 Dline players.
Therefore, it will be interesting to see if Dallas feels the need to select one of the Defense players first and focus on WR later.
Dallas 1st two picks are WR and OL.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Dallas needs to stop this love affair with almost 30 year old Earl Thomas. Forget about it! Draft LB or DT with their 1st. Go maybe WR with their 2nd, or even another defensive player.

Stay young and continue building through the draft. Next off-season we’ll have a chunk of money to nab a quality, high end FA!

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Trade back and add another pick
Getting miller is just what Dak needs
I don’t think he falls to 50
We also need a LB, G and Big DT
If we mortgaged all 10 picks to get quality players at those 4 spots I’d be tickled
No token 6th rnd pick thrown at a position
Trade what you have to to get quality at those spots and we are in good shape
Go get Bowman

Sounds good but the only way I see Dallas trading back is if their board looks out of wack at 19. They are definitly pulling the trigger if the unexpected falls into their laps.

fansince68

Reaction score
I would not invest a high pick on WR until Dak develops a more efficient down field game and better accuracy. We don't need a stud WR if we are a run first..followed by a "Dak" and dunk passing game.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We have 6 solid WRs and people are freaking out. Meanwhile our starting safeties have a year of combined starting experience, we don't have a single healthy LB, we don't have a true 1-tech, we currently have the worst starting LG in the league and our starting TE runs a 10 second 40.

conner01

Reaction score
Sounds good but the only way I see Dallas trading back is if their board looks out of wack at 19. They are definitly pulling the trigger if the unexpected falls into their laps.
If a top 10 or so guy falls then you pick
But if things go as most expect then Vea, smith and most of those guys are gone
I don’t think Payne is anything special so don’t see a DT there. I like Evans but don’t think he would be the pick at 19. I also don’t think the WR’s at 19 are better than what gonna be there at the end of the first or top of second
If no one falls then the value is trading down assuming you can

conner01

Reaction score
We have 6 solid WRs and people are freaking out. Meanwhile our starting safeties have a year of combined starting experience, we don't have a single healthy LB, we don't have a true 1-tech, we currently have the worst starting LG in the league and our starting TE runs a 10 second 40.
I don’t think WR is a high priority but I do think we need a guy because Hurns not twill or ones
That said I think this draft is decent depth at WR
Personally I like miller as much as anyone