Can Donovan Wilson play Free Safety in this scheme?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
All the talk has been we need a single, high free safety for Dan Quinn's Cover 3 scheme. This player has to have high level instincts, range and ball skills. Last season, Wilson actually played more snaps as our deep safety, where Woods played closer to the box. With Wilson's physicality, we all just assume that he's our box safety now, but he is a little undersized. It's something to watch, if the team does sign a player like Keanu Neil, we may know the direction the team takes with Wilson.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
Probably not. Which is why I believe the Richie Grant rumors to be true. I can see Quinn wanting him.

Gaede

Reaction score
Everyone's first reaction is absolutely not..I bet it's much better discussion than people are giving it credit for..I've had the discussion myself w others

Yea, ppl tend to think big hitter invariably equals SS. But Wilson has some good ball skills too. I don't think it's an open and shut case

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Richie Grant from UCF is the ideal safety to play the FS spot in Quinn's scheme.

Carson

Reaction score
Yea, ppl tend to think big hitter invariably equals SS. But Wilson has some good ball skills too. I don't think it's an open and shut case

Wilson has ball skills that are utilized better near the LOS. He can read and react the the receiver and the quarterback.

Playing centerfield is a completely different animal.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
All the talk has been we need a single, high free safety for Dan Quinn's Cover 3 scheme. This player has to have high level instincts, range and ball skills. Last season, Wilson actually played more snaps as our deep safety, where Woods played closer to the box. With Wilson's physicality, we all just assume that he's our box safety now, but he is a little undersized. It's something to watch, if the team does sign a player like Keanu Neil, we may know the direction the team takes with Wilson.

I think he's more of a box safety, but we'll see what Quinn thinks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Everyone's first reaction is absolutely not..I bet it's much better discussion than people are giving it credit for..I've had the discussion myself w others
I wonder if Wilson will at least get a chance to compete. It's not that far fetched, considering he played free safety last season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I recall when he was making plays left amd right his rookie preseason, he played single high. I think he is an instinctive player. I dont think his range is elite, but I don't think he would be out of place at FS. He can man up the slot, to me that's his best SS trait. But I think there is some versatility to him

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Wilson is an asset right now because he offers that versatility to go in either direction. If you sign a Maye or draft a Grant, Wilson can be your SS. If you sign a Neal or draft a Nasirildeen, Wilson can be your FS

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I recall when he was making plays left amd right his rookie preseason, he played single high. I think he is an instinctive player. I dont think his range is elite, but I don't think he would be out of place at FS. He can man up the slot, to me that's his best SS trait. But I think there is some versatility to him
It is going to be interesting to see how Quinn/Whitt use him. I too worry about his range, but he does have legitimate instincts and ball skills.

Mr_437

Reaction score
When I watched Wilson after Dallas drafted him, I saw a guy good around the LOS and could play deep middle. Fans want to put guys in a box sometimes, but I think their underestimating Wilson's skill just because they saw some big hits and think that's all he can do.

Now, I'm not saying he's Earl or nothing but he can't be worse than X Woods. Also, I'd like to pair Wilson with another dawg at Safety, and the best way is with a partner who can also play both spots adequately.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Wilson is an asset right now because he offers that versatility to go in either direction. If you sign a Maye or draft a Grant, Wilson can be your SS. If you sign a Neal or draft a Nasirildeen, Wilson can be your FS
We could even draft Jok to play strong safety

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
One of the "star" pieces of the Seattle Cover 3 is your SS. He sits in the box and plays the run like an LB, while also seeing tons of action in coverage, so he gets served up all kinds of opportunities to make plays. But he's also responsible for making sure tackles. Overloading the deep pass defense leaves the short zones undermanned. Short completions come pretty easily vs that defense, and if your guys can't bring the receiver down, those plays get broke for big yardage.

Wilson is exactly the guy you want in there. Big thumper SS who can handle run fits, is a lot better tackler than you think (I believe Mosher said he only missed 4 tackles last year), and has good ball skills. He could probably play FS for us, but he is just such a good fit at SS.

Aven8

Reaction score
Kid is just a flat out ball hawk. It’s no coincidence from his 3 picks in PS years ago and than what happened this season. He’s only going to get better.

Carson

Reaction score
Kid is just a flat out ball hawk. It’s no coincidence from his 3 picks in PS years ago and than what happened this season. He’s only going to get better.

He is. But he is good because he can roam free and cover less space. If he’s a single high it’s a different ballgame. Not saying he cannot do it because he is talented. Just think we’re taking him away from a strength for possible