Can Parsons play DE in the NFL?

vicjagger

Reaction score
I heard Dane Brugler state that if Parsons was an edge defender, he'd be the best in the draft. He played DE in high school...

Perhaps his best fit would be as a 3-4 OLB, but I am intrigued.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
That dude would be absolutely swallowed by NFL offensive tackles. He has no bend around the edge or pass-rushing tools at this point either I'm guessing. He's an off-ball "run to the play" linebacker that needs to be in a position to be able to rove and freelance a little. Moving him to DE would be a disaster.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He has no real refinement at the position, but his burst is unteachable.

If PSU lined him up at DE in 2019, he'd probably have 10 sacks and we'd be talking about him as EDGE 1.

timb2

Reaction score
Possibly like former NFL player Leonard Little

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No, he's way too small for that.

He could probably rep from a 2-point and set the edge from time to time, but he's not at all a DE.

conner01

Reaction score
He’s a great LB prospect
If he was there I’d take him in a heartbeat
But I don’t think he lasts till 10 and I’m not trading up

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Well he was ranked the #4 DE in the nation coming out of high school so he's familiar with the position. I don't think he's got the frame to play the edge full time, but sure I think he could contribute there. He's an awesome blitzer from the Mike for sure. Ojulari, Ossai, and Roche are all about the same size and most consider them pseudo DE/LB. I wouldn't imagine any team would want him playing anything other than the Mike though. He's an alpha at that position and I think the best defensive player in the draft. I like Farley and Surtain as much as the next guy but both are a bit of a reach at 10. I don't see Parsons as a reach at all and before his off field issues several draft pundits had him rated higher than Devin White coming out. He's my defensive target at 10, but I don't get too caught up in that. This team is so bad there's not a player they can take at 10 that doesn't make this a better team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's a mistake for our football team.

His strength doesn't fit our need imo. We need a guy who covers ground at that position and not a down hill head hunter.

I'm sorry but his skill set just looks so close to Jaylon's that it's scared me off.

This thread is exactly something we would ask about Jaylon.

Now if he develops into a quality pass coverage guy then he'll be a stud but i'm not taking a LB like him for a 4-3 team when Linebackers almost have to play like safeties in this modern game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not sure he has the length but why would you want to move him? Dude has all world potential as a LB.

lkelly

Reaction score
He’d probably exceed Jason Oweh’s sack production last year.

f962a531adda69d0ce46dd274f1053dc.gif

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Speaking of Oweh, Penn State Pro Day next Thursday is going to be fun as hell. For whatever reason, those guys blow the roof off the gym every year. The athletic studs like Saquon and Gesicki test like athletic studs, and there's usually some lesser known players who blow up as well. 180 lb track star KJ Hamler benched 225 15 times last year, ain't no one slacking in that program's weight room.

I'll bet now that both Oweh and Parsons test in the 95th+ percentile.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I heard Dane Brugler state that if Parsons was an edge defender, he'd be the best in the draft. He played DE in high school...

No. He can used at times as an edge rusher, and thats what gives alot of value as a traditional LB. But he is a traditional LB. Its not something you want him doing full time

RS12

Reaction score
Found it interesting that in Lance Zuerline latest mock, he has Parsons falling all the way to GB at 29. Besides the fact that is a huge fall, I wonder if that would cause us to trade back into the bottom of the first to get him? He has us taking Slater at 10.

The Realist

Reaction score
No he can’t. I heard Parcells say once “the history of going from up in college to down in the NFL is Haley and Abraham.”

vicjagger

Reaction score

Well, I guess he's answering the question.

The Natural

Reaction score
That dude would be absolutely swallowed by NFL offensive tackles. He has no bend around the edge or pass-rushing tools at this point either I'm guessing. He's an off-ball "run to the play" linebacker that needs to be in a position to be able to rove and freelance a little. Moving him to DE would be a disaster.
He's a mistake for our football team.

His strength doesn't fit our need imo. We need a guy who covers ground at that position and not a down hill head hunter.

I'm sorry but his skill set just looks so close to Jaylon's that it's scared me off.

This thread is exactly something we would ask about Jaylon.

Now if he develops into a quality pass coverage guy then he'll be a stud but i'm not taking a LB like him for a 4-3 team when Linebackers almost have to play like safeties in this modern game.
Yikes