Can Prescott be the main focus of the offense?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
So its one of Newton's Laws of Motion that Dak Prescott "panics", even in the pocket?

That's moronic.

A QB that panics doesn't play college football, much less NFL football, much less start, much less have a winning record, much less go to two Pro Bowls in three years.

Lol...are you trying to say Dak has never panicked because he played college ball and now in the pros?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
From a Dak Prescott fan: No.

Dak is who he is. He is a middle-tier franchise quarterback, but I have reservations as to whether he can ever be elite. Hopefully I am wrong. What Dak does best is lead, manage a game, make big throws when they need to be made, and complement the talent around him. He also comes through in the clutch.

However, the OP is asking if the Cowboys can build an offense around him. I say the teams that can do that are the ones that have QB's like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roesthlisberger.

We're kidding ourselves if we put Dak in that category. And that's unfair to Dak, too. Maybe someday he will be on par with those guys.

The Cowboys can win the Super Bowl with Prescott, but they have to build their offense (and defense) accordingly. Scoff if you want, but if Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson can win Super Bowls, and QB's like Cam Newton, Rex Grossman, Stan Humphries, and Chris Chandler can get there, Dak certainly can.

Nav22

Reaction score
What were his numbers the previous 16 games? Thats a whole season worth, so im not being selective.

Please tell me. Id love to know :rolleyes:
The games in which he didn’t have either his star RB or a capable #1 WR?

In an offense that’s built around the OL and controlling the line of scrimmage?

LOLLLLLL

He’s proven that he’s a stud with a capable supporting cast. You’re finished.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Collins said that before the first Giants game. He was hurt for the second game
They say that every game. Even so Dak hit them with a 64 yard TD on the first drive in the first game and had one of his best games the second game. Giants always running their mouth and Dak is 4-0 against them the last 2 years.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
They say that every game. Even so Dak hit them with a 64 yard TD on the first drive in the first game and had one of his best games the second game. Giants always running their mouth and Dak is 4-0 against them the last 2 years.
All of this is true, but my point still stands.

Do you hear opposing teams say these type of things about Mahomes??

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The games in which he didn’t have either his star RB or a capable #1 WR?

In an offense that’s built around the OL and controlling the line of scrimmage?

LOLLLLLL

He’s proven that he’s a stud with a capable supporting cast. You’re finished.
You didnt fetch the numbers doe. I wonder why :laugh:

Always excuses for this scrub. Dude needs a star receiver and RB to shine and take the pressure off him :lmao2:

GenoT

Reaction score
Since the 2016 season (13-3), we’ve been a run-first team.

Until/if/when that changes, Dak will never be the main focus.

Can he be the main focus...who knows?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Because Ezekiel Elliott seems to be the main focus. We run way more than we pass. .Does he really call the plays . or just execute the plays he's told to call
Not sure what team you’re watching but it’s obviously not the Cowboys. They passed 527 times and only ran it 439 times.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Sure he can. So could I. The question is what your expectations of the effectiveness of the offense would be in that scenario.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not sure what team you’re watching but it’s obviously not the Cowboys. They passed 527 times and only ran it 439 times.
Go back and read posts along the way. I already mentioned I should have said seems like

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sure he can. So could I. The question is what your expectations of the effectiveness of the offense would be in that scenario.
I don't think we will know until we do it. If what he did against the Giants is any indication. Obviously more balanced helps any team. We just can't keep beating up Elliot

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
All of this is true, but my point still stands.

Do you hear opposing teams say these type of things about Mahomes??
Because Mahomes is a better QB and doesn't play for Dallas. Giants said the same crap about Romo, that's what they do. Means absolutely nothing compared to other teams.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because Mahomes is a better QB and doesn't play for Dallas. Giants said the same crap about Romo, that's what they do. Means absolutely nothing compared to other teams.
Now that we know how to beat Mahomes clearly pressure up the middle Disturbed him. I'd like to see him next season

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Can Prescott be the main focus of the offense. Do we continue a run-heavy Smash Mouth objective. I for one would like to see more balance. Prescott 4th season coming up if he can't take over the offense now

Letting the oline grind on defenses with the run should be the focus of the offense. Everything else complements that.

Dak and Zeke are about equally central as complements to the oline. Zeke obviously grinds the run, and Dak complements Zeke with his own runs misdirecting from Zeke, but Dak has to provide enough threat with his arm to keep teams from just crowding the box against anyone running the ball.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Again I don't believe, Prescott isn't capable. I believe they didn't want to leave this young defense on the field too long. Ball control obviously is a good game plan. But we just can't let Elliott get beat up like he's been

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Letting the oline grind on defenses with the run should be the focus of the offense. Everything else complements that.

Dak and Zeke are about equally central as complements to the oline. Zeke obviously grinds the run, and Dak complements Zeke with his own runs misdirecting from Zeke, but Dak has to provide enough threat with his arm to keep teams from just crowding the box against anyone running the ball.
I'd like to see more balance in the first three quarters. Prescott gets most his passes late in the game. I'm tired of watching Elliott take himself out of the game not even staying in as a decoy because he gets gassed. Drive down the field 8
10 plays and then you get the red zone and you have nobody to punch the ball in. That's my point balance

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I can't wait to see what this new offense game plan looks like

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'd like to see more balance in the first three quarters. Prescott gets most his passes late in the game. I'm tired of watching Elliott take himself out of the game not even staying in as a decoy because he gets gassed. Drive down the field 8
10 plays and then you get the red zone and you have nobody to punch the ball in. That's my point balance

I like that point, and equally hated seeing Zeke come out when we hit the red zone. My hope is that we use Zeke more as a decoy. You wanna stop Zeke. Fine. We'll keep misdirecting off Zeke all day. That helps keep Zeke fresh.

We need to make teams account for everyone, instead of just keying on Zeke.

It doesn't have to be Dak passing. I'd rather have it be a lot of running out of Olawale/Austin/Dak too. The only way to truly leverage the run blocking of the oline is to have more players run to up the total carry total.

jnday

Reaction score
Can Prescott be the main focus of the offense. Do we continue a run-heavy Smash Mouth objective. I for one would like to see more balance. Prescott 4th season coming up if he can't take over the offense now
Oh yes, a QB that struggles to pass over 200 yards a game should be the main focus of the offense. Dak also kept many games very close with his play when the games should have been blow outs.