News: Can the Cowboys recover losses?

jnday

Reaction score
Very few posts on this site have been as wrong as this one. It's almost an intentional intent to say the exact opposite of the truth. Some sort of satire?
Yeah, again you down another player because he left the team. Dallas will miss Cobb and his pass receptions that compensated for the ooor ball placement. I am sure that the player that takes Cobb’s place will be wonderful though.

jnday

Reaction score
I would love Kinlaw, however we are sorely lacking at CB right now. And with Awuzie and the other starter being FA's after next season I see no way that they can do anything other than use the first pick at CB.
With a deep CB draft, they could still pick Kinlaw and draft 2-3 CBs that would make the team. The scouting dept has done a good job in the last few years with the exception of the two Marinelli hand-picked DL .

jnday

Reaction score
LOL...…...says the Dak Troll. Of course you have to turn this into a Dak hate thread.
I am praising Cobb for repeatedly bailing Dak out of some awful throws which could have turned into interceptions. Leave it to a Dak-lover to defend Dak’s play, even when it is bad.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am praising Cobb for repeatedly bailing Dak out of some awful throws which could have turned into interceptions. Leave it to a Dak-lover to defend Dak’s play, even when it is bad.

Im not defending anything as there is nothing to defend. Daks year overall was his best ever and creates even more reason for optimism going forward. He proved he could do things that guys like you never said he could such as throw the deep ball and pass for large yardage and TD numbers.

Dak was the best player on the Cowboys last year and without Dak the team probably goes 3-13.

morasp

Reaction score
I would love Kinlaw, however we are sorely lacking at CB right now. And with Awuzie and the other starter being FA's after next season I see no way that they can do anything other than use the first pick at CB.
That's my point too. Even if we absorb the loss of Jones this year with the guys that are left, if they play very well it's going to be expensive to try to keep them both or even one of them next year. So if we don't draft some guys this year next year could be even worse.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's my point too. Even if we absorb the loss of Jones this year with the guys that are left, if they play very well it's going to be expensive to try to keep them both or even one of them next year. So if we don't draft some guys this year next year could be even worse.

The system should be set in stone. The offseason 1 year before a player becomes a FA you try to resign him, if your decision is he is worth resigning. If he wants too much money or you cant come to an agreement, then you trade him for draft picks. This way you never just lose a guy for nothing like we did Jones. And you have a better chance of getting a discount as he you aren't yet competing with other clubs out in FA. You can now use the draft picks acquired to replace the player.

Not sure why the Cowboys haven't figured this out yet.

morasp

Reaction score
The system should be set in stone. The offseason 1 year before a player becomes a FA you try to resign him, if your decision is he is worth resigning. If he wants too much money or you cant come to an agreement, then you trade him for draft picks. This way you never just lose a guy for nothing like we did Jones. And you have a better chance of getting a discount as he you aren't yet competing with other clubs out in FA. You can now use the draft picks acquired to replace the player.

Not sure why the Cowboys haven't figured this out yet.
That makes sense to me. The only thing I can figure is we may get quite a few comp picks next year but it sure seems like you could do better by trading a player if they're any good.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That makes sense to me. The only thing I can figure is we may get quite a few comp picks next year but it sure seems like you could do better by trading a player if they're any good.

What was the point of keeping Jones around for that last year? They obviously know they weren't going to bother to pay him what he wanted.

Couldn't have at least gotten a 3rd or possibly 2nd rounder for him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There are ways to recover from any loss.

We lost Quinn's 11.5 sacks and Bennett's 4 sacks (in half a season). That's good production. We lost Collins, too, but his 4 sacks in a whole season isn't as tough to replace.

So that's 19.5 sacks we need to make up.

Well, Gerald McCoy was a 5-sack guy last year and it's not unreasonable to ask for that again. So now we're down to 14.5 sacks we need to make up.

Demarcus Lawrence had an off year with only 5 sacks last year. I don't think it's realistic to expect him to bounce back to match his fluky career-high sack totals. But a bounceback season that ups his production without even hitting double-digits seems realistic enough to ask for. So let's say he bounces back with a nice little 9-sack season. Now we're down to 10.5 sacks we need to make up.

Tyrone Crawford gave us 1 sacks in 4 games in an injury-shortened season. Which matches his pace since he's always a guy who is good for 4 or 5 sacks most years. So if we bring him back and he's healthy, he gives us 4 sacks. Or let's say we cut him and spend that money on a guy who gives us 4 sacks. That's an improvement of 3 sacks, so now we're down to 7.5 sacks to make up. And we haven't even talked about Quinn's replacement at DE yet...

The last time Randy Gregory played for us, he gave us 6 sacks. Now, he did that without the full snap count of a starter (Quinn and Lawrence both played 60-ish percent of the snaps last year), and the math says his sack total would've risen to 8 if he was given a starter's workload. But I'll be conservative here and stick with the 6-sack figure instead of asking for 8. So now we're down to needing to make up 1.5 sacks.

At this point, our pass rush is effectively about where it was at in 2019. And there's no end to the number of scenarios where we make up (and hopefully improve on) on the last 1.5 sacks we need to make up.

Maybe Dorance Armstrong makes progress and gives us 4 sacks instead of 2. Maybe Nolan blitzes more and the linebacker unit gives us 5 or 6 sacks instead of the 3 it gave us in 2019. Maybe guys like Hyder and Covington, who each played 16 games and managed only 1 sack each, are replaced with guys who give us 2 sacks each. Maybe Antwan Woods (or whoever his replacement is if he doesn't make the team) gives us 1.5 sacks like he did in 2018 instead of the zero sacks he gave in 2019.

Or maybe the draft falls just right and we add a good pass-rushing DE in the 1st or 2nd round. Or a DT with some pass-rush chops.

Replacing those 19.5 sacks isn't an impossible feat, no matter how daunting it sounds to say we have to replace the production of Quinn and Bennett.
Ok I am not knocking you, but your basing a lot of importance over just 19-20 plays during a season with what 6-700 plays on defense?
Sacks are way way way over rated, many happen in losing efforts, or in garbage time, which make them meaningless.

Much better to look at pressures, batted balls causing fumbles, playing the run etc. A good DL will do all of those things.
How many sacks a guy has or doesnt have is meaningless.

Sacks on 4th down trys are also over rated, any tackle or batted ball or tackle over the line or pass defended is just as good as a sack.
many sacks do occur on 4th down.

Now if a sack happens in right situation , then those are the good sacks. A sack is just a tackle, they gave it a cool name and now
people get carried away over it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
".....the exodus of defenders and a not-yet-replaced slot receiver Randall Cobb might leave Cowboys fans wondering: How will Dallas handle the roster turnover?
Every year I prepare for stupid articles like this and every year....they still piss me off.

SSoup

Reaction score
Ok I am not knocking you, but your basing a lot of importance over just 19-20 plays during a season with what 6-700 plays on defense?
Sacks are way way way over rated, many happen in losing efforts, or in garbage time, which make them meaningless.

Much better to look at pressures, batted balls causing fumbles, playing the run etc. A good DL will do all of those things.
How many sacks a guy has or doesnt have is meaningless.

Sacks on 4th down trys are also over rated, any tackle or batted ball or tackle over the line or pass defended is just as good as a sack.
many sacks do occur on 4th down.

Now if a sack happens in right situation , then those are the good sacks. A sack is just a tackle, they gave it a cool name and now
people get carried away over it.
I agree the SACK stat doesn't tell the whole story. But the sort of fans who are freaking out and assuming we're doomed because two recognizable name pass-rushers left the building needed to have it explained how feasible it is to reproduce their results in the aggregate.

I chose the sack stat because that's all anyone wants to hear about pass-rushers, but you can read that post I wrote and imagine it would read pretty much the same if I outlined an equally conservative scenario where we're able to replace the hurries or the batted balls or the forced fumbles we've lost.

The point is all the same: production can be replaced.

JBond

Reaction score
We can find second tier CBs anywhere. If there is something special that falls, great, but I want a DL stud.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Hells Bells we're going to bounce back! The only player we're losing that is going to hurt going forward is Travis and resigning Looney appears at this point to be a BRILLANT move! Let's be honest Looney did a great job filling for Travis, however when Travis is 100% he's a hard man to replace. What's really going to hurt this team is our lack of backups on the offensive line. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ & Co use our 17th pick to add another piece to the O line, I'm just throwing that out there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we'll be ok..with new energy etc...but down the stretch we will miss Frederick badly.

jnday

Reaction score
Im not defending anything as there is nothing to defend. Daks year overall was his best ever and creates even more reason for optimism going forward. He proved he could do things that guys like you never said he could such as throw the deep ball and pass for large yardage and TD numbers.

Dak was the best player on the Cowboys last year and without Dak the team probably goes 3-13.
Your talking about a guy that the more he improves his stats, the more losses the team has. The key here is that Zeke, as an example, improves his stats and the teams record improves. Make no mistake, there is a reason why opposing defenses keys in on Zeke and dares Dak to beat them. The reason is that it works.

jnday

Reaction score
maybe not Frederick.
thats a biggie.
Losing Travis makes it all but impossible to maintain the talent level of this team. TFred is the heart and soul of the OL and the usually play well if TFred is playing well. I remember the debates that me and Risen has with the posters that thought Phil Costa was a serviceable center. It was crazy at how much the line improved TFred’s roomie season. The OL improves 100% and those that thought TFred was a wasted pick was humbled when the OL became so much better. Dallas has took a big loss of talent this offseason and I honestly doubt that they can recover. It will take a freakishly good draft the next couple of years to raise the talent level on the team. With DLaw, Cooper and Dak’s cap hits, it makes impossible to improve this team team for a while.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Losing Travis makes it all but impossible to maintain the talent level of this team. TFred is the heart and soul of the OL and the usually play well if TFred is playing well. I remember the debates that me and Risen has with the posters that thought Phil Costa was a serviceable center. It was crazy at how much the line improved TFred’s roomie season. The OL improves 100% and those that thought TFred was a wasted pick was humbled when the OL became so much better. Dallas has took a big loss of talent this offseason and I honestly doubt that they can recover. It will take a freakishly good draft the next couple of years to raise the talent level on the team. With DLaw, Cooper and Dak’s cap hits, it makes impossible to improve this team team for a while.
agreed.
major loss.
Connor McGovern played some at Penn St....he could be a real option there.
Biadasaz or Ruiz in this current draft would be solid picks.
Looney did a helluva job filling in.
but that dont change the fact none of them are #72....and this is a helluva loss.