News: Can the Cowboys recover losses?

Oneiros

Reaction score
The loss of Travis no doubt hurts.

I think that we've improved by finally moving on from Witten, Heath, and Collins.

It'll be interesting to see if we actually sign Poe or not, as that'll give us a big body on our DL. I'm still holding out hope for Griffen and Bell but know it's wishful thinking.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree the SACK stat doesn't tell the whole story. But the sort of fans who are freaking out and assuming we're doomed because two recognizable name pass-rushers left the building needed to have it explained how feasible it is to reproduce their results in the aggregate.

I chose the sack stat because that's all anyone wants to hear about pass-rushers, but you can read that post I wrote and imagine it would read pretty much the same if I outlined an equally conservative scenario where we're able to replace the hurries or the batted balls or the forced fumbles we've lost.

The point is all the same: production can be replaced.
I agree, it can be replaced and with new staff may do better.
Some fans freak out over anything lol.

Beaker42

Reaction score
".....the exodus of defenders and a not-yet-replaced slot receiver Randall Cobb might leave Cowboys fans wondering: How will Dallas handle the roster turnover?

"McCarthy has addressed the matter, briefly, in the two-plus months since he relocated to North Texas.

“I think if you have a system of defense where you need a certain player to fit your scheme, you’re limiting your personnel department,” McCarthy said in a Jan. 16 sitdown with beat writers. “We know what a Dallas Cowboys football player looks like: the length, the athletic ability.

“Let’s get as many good football players as we can possibly can. It’s our job as coaches to make sure our scheme boundaries are plenty wide enough to fit any excellent football players into our program.”"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...e-mccarthy-could-handle-attrition/ar-BB11zD8r
I’m more and more convinced that the pick who makes the most sense for us, IF RG gets reinstated, has to be Henderson. We are in dire straits at CB because 24 took MAJOR steps backward last season. He could solidify that group. Gotta keep churning that group to get better.

ondaedg

Reaction score
we lost maliek collins....signed Gerald McCoy and close to signing Dontari Poe.
we lost a 3T....gained a 6xpro bowl 3T and a fat belly.
im not smart but i like that math.

Maliek isn't a point of attack guy. He has burst off the snap which he used in Marinelli's scheme to shoot gaps which is why he had good success pressuring the qb but less than stellar run defense. Too often he would shoot his gap washing out the de and letting ol get to our LBers who avoid blockers like the plague.

Swagger

Reaction score
Randall Cobb isn't a big loss. Guy will probably pull his hamstrings in his first game for the Texans.

Our strong o-line/running game carried him last season.

Unlike Byron Jones who will be a big loss unless we strike gold in the draft.

aria

Reaction score
we lost maliek collins....signed Gerald McCoy and close to signing Dontari Poe.
we lost a 3T....gained a 6xpro bowl 3T and a fat belly.
im not smart but i like that math.
I guess you forgot about age and lack of production? Try your math again.

Jerry is succeeding once again. All steak, no sizzle (or something like that).

aria

Reaction score
There are ways to recover from any loss.

We lost Quinn's 11.5 sacks and Bennett's 4 sacks (in half a season). That's good production. We lost Collins, too, but his 4 sacks in a whole season isn't as tough to replace.

So that's 19.5 sacks we need to make up.

Well, Gerald McCoy was a 5-sack guy last year and it's not unreasonable to ask for that again. So now we're down to 14.5 sacks we need to make up.

Demarcus Lawrence had an off year with only 5 sacks last year. I don't think it's realistic to expect him to bounce back to match his fluky career-high sack totals. But a bounceback season that ups his production without even hitting double-digits seems realistic enough to ask for. So let's say he bounces back with a nice little 9-sack season. Now we're down to 10.5 sacks we need to make up.

Tyrone Crawford gave us 1 sacks in 4 games in an injury-shortened season. Which matches his pace since he's always a guy who is good for 4 or 5 sacks most years. So if we bring him back and he's healthy, he gives us 4 sacks. Or let's say we cut him and spend that money on a guy who gives us 4 sacks. That's an improvement of 3 sacks, so now we're down to 7.5 sacks to make up. And we haven't even talked about Quinn's replacement at DE yet...

The last time Randy Gregory played for us, he gave us 6 sacks. Now, he did that without the full snap count of a starter (Quinn and Lawrence both played 60-ish percent of the snaps last year), and the math says his sack total would've risen to 8 if he was given a starter's workload. But I'll be conservative here and stick with the 6-sack figure instead of asking for 8. So now we're down to needing to make up 1.5 sacks.

At this point, our pass rush is effectively about where it was at in 2019. And there's no end to the number of scenarios where we make up (and hopefully improve on) on the last 1.5 sacks we need to make up.

Maybe Dorance Armstrong makes progress and gives us 4 sacks instead of 2. Maybe Nolan blitzes more and the linebacker unit gives us 5 or 6 sacks instead of the 3 it gave us in 2019. Maybe guys like Hyder and Covington, who each played 16 games and managed only 1 sack each, are replaced with guys who give us 2 sacks each. Maybe Antwan Woods (or whoever his replacement is if he doesn't make the team) gives us 1.5 sacks like he did in 2018 instead of the zero sacks he gave in 2019.

Or maybe the draft falls just right and we add a good pass-rushing DE in the 1st or 2nd round. Or a DT with some pass-rush chops.

Replacing those 19.5 sacks isn't an impossible feat, no matter how daunting it sounds to say we have to replace the production of Quinn and Bennett.
Wow man, I appreciate the break down but there’s so much more that goes into it.

Who were they playing? Who was the starting QB? Who were the starting receivers, TE’s, O linemen? When did those sacks happen? Who were playing with those guys?

It’s like judging Zeke (or any RB for that matter) based just on numbers, there’s a lot more to it.

jnday

Reaction score

To be honest, the team has not increased production or talent level. They just got older this offseason.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
You might not have considered him one, but he was. Top 8 in pass rush win % amongst DTs last year. McCoy is a downgrade in the pass rush area like I just said.

I can see youre one of those "whoever leaves sucks" and whoever we bring in is "better than anything we've had" types. Grass is always greener.

Thinking Quinn is no big loss while claiming Poe is this miraculous player shows very little knowledge on the topic.
You're comparing different players and positions. McCoy and Poe will be a massive upgrade to our interior line pass rush AND rush defense. I liked Quinn and wished he didn't price himself out of our market but if we have a better interior pass rush, WHOEVER plays outside will have better numbers whether it's DLaw or whoever is on the other side.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Quinn hurt us but the rest, meh. All of them were here last year, didn’t make a difference

aria

Reaction score
To be honest, the team has not increased production or talent level. They just got older this offseason.
For sure, I’m not nearly as optimistic about this season as most but I’m a pessimist by nature. Set the bar low and you’ll never be disappointed.

cowboyec

Reaction score

McCoy is a better player than Maliek Collins.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You're comparing different players and positions. McCoy and Poe will be a massive upgrade to our interior line pass rush AND rush defense. I liked Quinn and wished he didn't price himself out of our market but if we have a better interior pass rush, WHOEVER plays outside will have better numbers whether it's DLaw or whoever is on the other side.
...yes that's what people do is compare didn't players.
While McCoy and Collins play the same exact position.

If you have a player and then replace him with a player that is worse at pass rushing, how does that improve the pass rush?

starfrombirth

Reaction score
...yes that's what people do is compare didn't players.
While McCoy and Collins play the same exact position.

If you have a player and then replace him with a player that is worse at pass rushing, how does that improve the pass rush?
McCoy and Poe are both better at rushing the passer than Collins was. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Yeah, we lost guys in an 8-8 season. I'm not sweating it.

What scares me the most is that we are paying big money to keep names that participated in that 8-8 season, in the worst division in football.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
McCoy and Poe are both better at rushing the passer than Collins was. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Neither are better at rushing the passer, especially Poe. It's not particularly close. Saying Poe is a better pass rusher, just means you don't know much of anything about Poe.
I havent been able to figure out any of the points you've tried to make.