News: Can the Cowboys recover losses?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys are doing a good job, thus far, of making up for their many losses, although in some cases, they'll actually be better off in the long run. Of course, it remains to be seen what comes of these moves in this year's end. Thus far, most Cowboys fans seem rightfully optimistic.

So far, the veteran free agency has been unusually kind to us and the draft should further enhance their chances of fielding an even better team than they've had in quite some time. The offense and defense both seem destined to make admirable strides in bettering their performance levels.

The newly-installed coaching staff will also play a huge role in remaining highly competitive and in turn, potentially improving impressively in 2020 and beyond. Take heart and be deservedly encouraged and happy for that being the case. Good times appear to lie ahead for the Dallas Cowboys. :D

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
yes, we can and will. We have a mentally tough competent NFL HC and staff...so yes. This happens each year to all teams.

jay94

Reaction score
Cobb bauled Dak out a lot by catching all those high passes and passes that was behind him over the middle. Cobb also absorbed all of those hard hits that came as a result of poorly placed passes. Cobb could have protected himself and let those passes go right on by to be intercepted, but he didn’t. Smith has made little to no impact and it is doubtful that he can ever reach playing at the level that Cobb has played.

Balled out by dropping multiple passes? Cobb wasn't exceptional by any means, he left plenty on the field, he played like an above average number 3 wr.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This happens every year. We have a lot of FA's, we lose more than we gain, but yet the never get worse or better from the FA period.
As long as that happens, then improve from the draft. And we are better.

With the new coaching and schemes we will be even better.
the draft is key. I think what is hurting us is the last three drafts...
2019 draft we have nothing to show for. no infusion of talent, no hope for any of the players to turn into something solid.....lots of question marks
2018 - LVE and Gallup. but LVE was out with injury last year. if he comes back like his rookie year, then we have something. otherwise pretty crappy draft.
2017- we let Charlton walk....nothing to show for him. we have three mid level players, some of whom people are asking to cut or replace....auwzie is best of the bunch and that says a lot.

so drafting is key. specially hitting on your first and second round picks and then get lucky on one of the mid to lower round picks. we have only hit on Gallup and first round has been a disaster pretty much.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
D-law and Jaylon were paid last year....
So just Cooper?

Paying Cooper and Dak is an good idea. You want to keep a top-3 offense intact

Yes, D-Law and Jaylon were paid last year. We have overpaid for mediocrity, and have a history of doing so. Now Cooper...if he is the same guy who singlehandedly saved our season two years ago, sure; if he's the same receiver we saw last year, no way. We're going to find out. As far as Dak goes, we all know how polarizing he is, so I'm not going there. You can argue we need to keep a top-3 offense intact, I can argue we need to get away from status-quo in order to take the next step.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What scares me the most is that we are paying big money to keep names that participated in that 8-8 season, in the worst division in football.
So, the Packers shouldn't have paid big money to keep Aaron Rodgers because he was part of the team that went 6-9-1 in 2018?

Come on, being 8-8 doesn't mean there are no high quality players on a team. A team cannot improve by deciding nobody is worth keeping because the team went 8-8, it improves by trying to keep as many of the high quality players as they can, and trying upgrade other positions where they can.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
So, the Packers shouldn't have paid big money to keep Aaron Rodgers because he was part of the team that went 6-9-1 in 2018?

Come on, being 8-8 doesn't mean there are no high quality players on a team. A team cannot improve by deciding nobody is worth keeping because the team went 8-8, it improves by trying to keep as many of the high quality players as they can, and trying upgrade other positions where they can.

Uh, yes...you have to consider the talent of the player. In Rodger's case, he had proved he could win a Super Bowl by 2018. In our case, it's not a matter of deciding not to keep everyone because of one bad 8-8 season, but a string of mediocrity. Hopefully, in our case, this was a matter of coaching more than a matter of a few high quality players who plateau just short of anything meaningful.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh, yes...you have to consider the talent of the player. In Rodger's case, he had proved he could win a Super Bowl by 2018. In our case, it's not a matter of deciding not to keep everyone because of one bad 8-8 season, but a string of mediocrity. Hopefully, in our case, this was a matter of coaching more than a matter of a few high quality players who plateau just short of anything meaningful.
So, they should have got rid of Rodgers in 2008 when he went 6-10 and hadn't yet won a Super Bowl?

You know what happens if a team commits to only paying big contracts to players that have won a Super Bowl? A team full mid to bottom level players at every position. It would be ridiculous to ignore the talent of the player and judge only on the record of the team he played on the previous year.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
So, they should have got rid of Rodgers in 2008 when he went 6-10 and hadn't yet won a Super Bowl?

You know what happens if a team commits to only paying big contracts to players that have won a Super Bowl? A team full mid to bottom level players at every position. It would be ridiculous to ignore the talent of the player and judge only on the record of the team he played on the previous year.

Well, we certainly don't have to worry about paying big contracts to players who have won anything, so I guess we're good.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, we certainly don't have to worry about paying big contracts to players who have won anything, so I guess we're good.
So, why don’t the Cowboys cut everyone and sign nothing but players who have been on a Super Bowl winning team? That’s possible, right?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
So, why don’t the Cowboys cut everyone and sign nothing but players who have been on a Super Bowl winning team? That’s possible, right?

Yes, that's exactly what I think we should do. :facepalm:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, that's exactly what I think we should do. :facepalm:
Hey, your the one opposed to paying large contracts to anyone that hasn’t “wore anything”. I’m just trying to figure out how to make that work and have a competitive team. If you have other thoughts ...

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Hey, your the one opposed to paying large contracts to anyone that hasn’t “wore anything”. I’m just trying to figure out how to make that work and have a competitive team. If you have other thoughts ...

You know what my point was, at least I hope that you do. But if you need me to spell it out, I'll humor you.

Yes, I have a problem repeatedly breaking the bank for players who underperform. Take Cooper for just one instance. Will he rebound and be the guy who saved us two years ago, or will he be the guy who showed up for half of the games last season? Is he now injury-prone? Say we let him walk, then what could we have done with that money to help the defense? As I stated before, if coaching was a big of an issue as I think it was, then this team could very well be set if they play the draft right. In that case, it will be money well spent. Right now, it makes me nervous.