Can we copy cat Jackson and the Ravens?

kskboys

Reaction score
why are you comparing his numbers to pocket passers...lol
He is a RB playing the QB, that can throw the ball and highly efficient in running that offense.
Because you said they are decent!!!!! They are not.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I just feel like I’ve seen this movie multiple times with QBs like Jackson. It usually ends with an air cast and a cart.

I’m not wishing it on him, but I’m not optimistic.
Cant dismiss a franchise, that has chosen to design something that gives a headache to the entire league and dismiss their opinion.
Ravens are winning games with their equation, which is quite different from the rest of the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not as sold on Jackson.

Give me Mahommes. He’s like a Rodgers but more mobility. But not a running QB. A scrambler. Big difference.

A running QB has a shorter shelf life in this league. Ravens window is slim with him. I said last year they better win soon with him. Once he has his legs taken out from under him he’s done.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Cant dismiss a franchise, that has chosen to design something that gives a headache to the entire league and dismiss their opinion.
Ravens are winning games with their equation, which is quite different from the rest of the league.

I’m not trying to dismiss it. They were my pick to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl last season.

But I think teams have to strike quick when they land on something like that. Either an injury derails it, or the rest of the league catches up to them and the defenses start to figure it out a little more.

I mean, it wasn’t all that long ago when Kaepernick and RGIII were the future of the league as well.

Adreme

Reaction score
Jackson set the record for rush yards which is true but that offense ran through Mark Andrews. They had 2 bad games: Cleveland and Tennessee and in both those games Andrews was hurt. The biggest takeaway from the Ravens offense is how huge having an elite TE is. They seem to have had a good draft and Ingram is a stud, and Jackson is elite, but having that TE outlet made everything better for them.

Right now the Cowboys do not have that. The Cowboys probably have a very very good WR core, but the TE aspect of the offense is weak which is not good for moving the chains.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Dak Prescott's stats:

459 pass attempts
57 rush attempts

490 pass attempts
57 rush attempts

526 pass attempts
75 rush attempts

596 pass attempts
52 rush attempts

Seems like the typical progression of a young QB. They increase in pass attempts as they get more comfortable in the NFL. His rushing attempts in 2019 aren't greatly lower than his first 2 seasons.
Thanks Joe, looks like my "seems like" was not that far off from his previous years. A little less but not as much as I thought.

visionary

Reaction score
Dak can’t run the way Lamar does but which qb can?
Dak can run well enough to make the other defense worry and be a significant difference but the reason Dak did not run as much last year is the same reason he won’t this year, he doesn’t want to take the risk of getting hurt until he gets paid long term

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jackson set the record for rush yards which is true but that offense ran through Mark Andrews. They had 2 bad games: Cleveland and Tennessee and in both those games Andrews was hurt. The biggest takeaway from the Ravens offense is how huge having an elite TE is. They seem to have had a good draft and Ingram is a stud, and Jackson is elite, but having that TE outlet made everything better for them.

Right now the Cowboys do not have that. The Cowboys probably have a very very good WR core, but the TE aspect of the offense is weak which is not good for moving the chains.
Ah..

The old TE weakness excuse.

I definitely subscribe to this thinking.

Not sure if its the chicken or the egg that comes first.

But it's TRUE our QBs rarely excelled without a top TE playing for the QB.

Novechek, Witten, Cosby, Frank Clarke, Pettis Norman, Jackie Smith, etc.

We have to do better than we have done with that position if we are really going to win consistantly.

We have all the other pieces on offense already except that. Mc Carthy has to address that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ah..

The old TE weakness excuse.

I definitely subscribe to this thinking.

Not sure if its the chicken or the egg that comes first.

But it's TRUE our QBs rarely excelled without a top TE playing for the QB.

Novechek, Witten, Cosby, Frank Clarke, Pettis Norman, Jackie Smith, etc.

We have to do better than we have done with that position if we are really going to win consistantly.

We have all the other pieces on offense already except that. Mc Carthy has to address that.

I think we signed Belldozer just in case Jarwin never learns to block.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
My big question at this point is..

seeing how Jackson set the league on fire last season with his running out of pass formation..

are we going to incorporate that more into our offense?

are we going to run 4 receiver sets this year frequently?

Won't Zeke and the OL be able to open some gaping holes for Zeke and Pollard to exploit?

Will we do that?

If we run 4 receiver formations..will the QB draw and sweep be run? If the secondary takes off for the endzone to cover..has to be huge gaps to run thru.

Jackson with the Ravens have made that Jackson's trademark. Can Dak do that? Will he do that?

Farve was a mobile QB and he won like crazy.

Rodgers was not and was more of a pocket passer.

The WCO is very different than what we have been trying to do.

McCarthy has some things to adjust to with this cast of characters. Moore probably helps but still..

Dak needs to take on a new personality in 2020.

Here's wishing his success for sure. Everything depends on him now.

What do you guys see?

Comments?

The problem was with a moron of an ex-head coach who would not change the offense to make it better Jason Garrett. I'm sure now that he is out of the equation we will see a much more different and possibly improved playcalling and offense.

sean10mm

Reaction score
"Can we copy cat Jackson and the Ravens?"

No.

That entire offense is predicated on Jackson being the fastest man on the field on almost every snap. Dak isn't that guy. Almost no QBs in league history were, it's why defenses had no answers to Jackson - it's not something you even acquire players to stop in the first place because it's normally just not a thing. At most you have a runner at QB who can't read defenses like Vick or Tebow.

The Cowboys offense can be better, and maybe Dak can run more often in general, but it's not going to be anything like the Ravens last year because nobody else has the linchpin of that kind of offense.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a strategy for getting his long term deal done that Booger probably hasn't tried yet. Have 2 playbooks, one labelled One Year Contract and the other, Five Year Contract. One has a bunch of fun pass plays and the other is just chocked full of QB runs, lots of off tackle ones. I'll leave it to your imagination which is which.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Jackson had over 1200 yards. I expect Dak to be utilized in the run game, I don't expect Lamar Jackson. Get that 300 maybe closer to 500?
Agreed. Jackson is more of a Vick type runner, Dak is more of a Steve Young type runner. Apples & Oranges. I do think we could take more chances with his feet, but I don't want them to try making him in to the kind of runner he is not.

Praxit

Reaction score
.....I like Dak, but seems to have lead feet. My only enigma not trying a new advent.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If they are going to pay Prescott at the top of the market, they need to have him step up his part as a QB.

He cannot be the piece that hands the ball to Elliott and feeds off of it.

He needs to be a primary weapon. That means running the ball more and making him the focal point of the offense.

Big_D

Reaction score
Agreed. Jackson is more of a Vick type runner, Dak is more of a Steve Young type runner. Apples & Oranges. I do think we could take more chances with his feet, but I don't want them to try making him in to the kind of runner he is not.

With the weapons here, there should be more room to run. We'll see if McCarthy runs him more.. or less than he's been? Averaging roughly 60 carries a season.. 4 a game.

ghst187

Reaction score
Not wishing it on him but running QBs always end up getting seriously injured and most never regain their previous glory afterwards...the more they run, the more likely they are to get hurt. Wentz hasn’t been the same, nor Jimmy G,...RG III....

Cebrin

Reaction score
With the weapons here, there should be more room to run. We'll see if McCarthy runs him more.. or less than he's been? Averaging roughly 60 carries a season.. 4 a game.

I think it's a short sight. However, with the lack of back up QB before this season, it may have been a better idea. This year though? Why not? Make the defenses mad.