1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Can we get out of the damn shotgun?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RonnieT24, Sep 16, 2022.

1. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

10,865 Messages
    16,790 Likes Received
    When you go back and look at Zeke's highlights from early in his career they are almost all out of the deep back set. He attacks the line of scrimmage downhill and when there is a crease he sees it, puts a foot in the ground and attacks it. Even if there is a defender there to put a hand on him it doesn't even slow that beast down because he has serious forward momentum. FF to since Moore has taken over and easily 70-80% of our runs are out of shotgun.. So now the backs are nearly always waiting for the QB to bring them the ball and standing still .. It's absolute lunacy.. Especially given the leakage that our o-line seems to allow on nearly every run. Having the back standing next to the QB takes away vision and leverage against the defense. Great if you're Barry Sanders.. but for a downhill runner like Zeke it's just a mismatch. I can't stand watching him stand there waiting to be given the ball and have to fight off a free defender almost instantly. Ironically Pollard IS more of the jitterbug type back but even he is not equipped to have consistent success if there are defenders helping him take the handoff. This is going to be a looooonnnnnnng year.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  2. JayFord

JayFord Well-Known Member

9,849 Messages
    15,921 Likes Received
    Yall gotta forward this to Kellen

or Forward it to Mike and tell him to make Kellen do this...since its the HC job to control the OC

Kinda cant have an assistant manager doing whatever he wants when you have a general manager

blueblood70 and Coogiguy03 like this.
  3. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

3,998 Messages
    6,363 Likes Received
    Completely agreed. My buddies hear me complain about this exact thing every time we watch a Cowboys game together.

4. maryquality

maryquality Well-Known Member

4,207 Messages
    10,470 Likes Received
    I 100% agree with you @RonnieT24 !!!! It's so frustrating and my ultimate pet peeve seeing them handing the ball off 7 yards deep in the back field!!! My goodness!! Come on Kellen!!!!

5. nate dizzle

nate dizzle Well-Known Member

4,714 Messages
    7,416 Likes Received
    Dude, I've been preaching from that book for 2 years now. For exactly the same reasons you cited.

6. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

4,637 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    1st and goal from the 2 . Shotgun set, empty backfield,
    3rd and 2 , Shotgun set, zeke motions out wide
    :laugh:

Coogiguy03, JayFord and maryquality like this.
  7. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

10,865 Messages
    16,790 Likes Received
    It's not really the depth of the handoff that kills us it's the play design that has them take the ball pretty much standing still .. or with maybe a one step startup. It doesn't really suit either Zeke or Pollard's style but it suits Pollard better. When you have the QB under center he can influence the flow of the defense because typically he will open up on side, show the ball, then hand it to the back going the other way. The defense, specifically the linebackers have to honor it when the QB opens up and shows the ball left.. then when the back gets it going right they're momentum is against them. Same with defensive linemen. If the offensive line can prevent penetration the back will be able to attack them downhill as well. Of course we know defenses often have called slants and stunts but even in the context of those, "go to the ball" is their #1 priority. Having the guy getting the ball be a stationary target for them is just plain stoopid.

Stak78, plymkr and maryquality like this.
  8. Wichitaleafs

Wichitaleafs Well-Known Member

303 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    This and I also miss the I formation with a fullback, but I'm old.

9. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

12,846 Messages
    12,399 Likes Received
    I agree with you but unfortunately, this us how the whole NFL operates now.

Just quickly looked up last year....we operated out of the Gun 476 times.

San Diego was 510.
    Rams 473
    KC 585
    TB 578
    Buffalo 556
    GB 410

10. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

19,210 Messages
    28,758 Likes Received
    Cowboys have been using the shotgun formation heavily since 2019.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-rates--shotgun-v-under-center--off-.html

2016 it was nearly 50-50, 2017 it was 50-50 and then in 2018 it went to 42% under center to 58% in shotgun.
    2019 was the first year of Moore at OC and well the split has only increased.
    19: 38% Under, 62% Shotgun
    20: 36% Under, 64% Shotgun
    21: Not available yet?

nate dizzle likes this.
  11. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

27,446 Messages
    28,593 Likes Received
    Moore is too attached to Garret's old offense.
    I was soooo disappointed that Mac did not install his offense,
    still am...

Aven8, Zman5 and Coogiguy03 like this.
  12. Coogiguy03

Coogiguy03 Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received

I guess it's easier for Dak to read, I think it's also horrible trying to be a running team! Nobody wants a full back anymore but they want to run run run, get a lead blocker in there, can the shotgun forever I've hated this formation for years, time for a change

CowboysRule likes this.
  13. Coogiguy03

2,915 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received

THE GENERAL MANAGER WON'T ALLOW THE COACH TO DO SO

Floatyworm likes this.
  14. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

6,805 Messages
    9,133 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

15. Coogiguy03

2,915 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received

Motions out wide just to motion out wide, if you watch, he's never doing anything except clearing out for the WR over top I can't stand it!!!

Big D likes this.
  16. Coogiguy03

2,915 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received

Right because you can have a single back formation and still have a deep hand off

17. Redline360

Redline360 Well-Known Member

2,339 Messages
    3,001 Likes Received
    Holy **** we were just talking about this at work earlier lol. I honestly never really paid attention to it that much as that's how most of the nfl operates now

Notice the years the offense was at its peak? The earlier years when the run game wore down opposing defenses. As someone posted the under / shotgun stats above. We sadly had a piss poor defense then

We get the run game cemented with this upgraded defense from years ago we can look like the 2016 team again. Run defense is still the "kryptonite" that kills us though

dreghorn2 likes this.
  18. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

19,328 Messages
    28,288 Likes Received
    Thanks for giving me one more reason to hate KM.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country likes this.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

24,588 Messages
    27,110 Likes Received
    We’re in shotgun because your hero Dak can’t read a defense after play action

20. CowboysRule

CowboysRule Well-Known Member

1,682 Messages
    3,497 Likes Received
    This exactly. If you see Dak under center it's either play action or a run.

Coogiguy03, 75boyz and glimmerman like this.