Can we move on from Marinelli?

Big_D

Reaction score
Shouldve moved on from him years ago.

He will be our downfall once again

After the debacle in the playoffs. People still defend his greatness as a positional coach? Makes no sense at all. Maybe Richard isn't better, but I'll take that gamble. When you already know what you have, you make attempts to improve that situation.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Richard makes the defensive calls. Richard stated he wanted Hill over Thornhill. He's our DC even though he doesn't have the title.

I wouldn't let last Sunday be the judge of our D anyway. Key players were seeing their first action. I am disappointed in our LBs and DBs though. Their tackling was really bad.

Also, it's not how you start. It's how you finish. We won, and that's what matters most.

Big_D

Reaction score
Been big love here for Richard since he was hired.

Because you see a big difference in the play of the corners. A confident group. You rememberer feeling confident in the CBs before he got here? I certainly don't. Finally and not just 2 deep either.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Marinelli a great position coach or the recipient of having great players in positions? Has this DL even been good since he's been there?

And after saying Nick Hayden was a favorite, his judge of talent is questionable. Now, Hill is his new pet project.

I like and respect him as a man but he's not a top 10 DC or DLC.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Opposite a young, bright OC is the 0-16 coach and 70 year old DC!! I really didn't get the Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli hires to begin with? Then they followed that up with the Linehan hire? who is the next DC Ray Handley, Eric Mangini? lol Move Richard up and be done with it. It's time!!!
If you do not like getting better every year on defense then definitely we should move on from Rod.
that-moment-when-xpi3n8.jpg

Big_D

Reaction score
Richard makes the defensive calls. Richard stated he wanted Hill over Thornhill. He's our DC even though he doesn't have the title.

I wouldn't let last Sunday be the judge of our D anyway. Key players were seeing their first action. I am disappointed in our LBs and DBs though. Their tackling was really bad.

Also, it's not how you start. It's how you finish. We won, and that's what matters most.

I don't get upset that he actually wanted a DT. 7 years with the current DC. That is usually enough to tell you where you're headed. Specially when your run D gets demolished in a playoff game in year 6?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because you see a big difference in the play of the corners. A confident group. You rememberer feeling confident in the CBs before he got here? I certainly don't. Finally and not just 2 deep either.
I do not see that as a reason to have him at DC. They had a DB draft for him to work with and we don't know if some other coach would have done as well or better.

I do like his aggressive style better than Marinelli's BDBD.

Big_D

Reaction score
If you do not like getting better every year on defense then definitely we should move on from Rod.
that-moment-when-xpi3n8.jpg

You didn't watch the playoff game in January? All part of "getting better"!!

Big_D

Reaction score
I do not see that as a reason to have him at DC. They had a DB draft for him to work with and we don't know if some other coach would have done as well or better.

I do like his aggressive style better than Marinelli's BDBD.

Richard OR basically any other young defensive coach. My decision would be to stay in house.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is he. The only guys that thrive are the ones that get by on their talent (Lawrence). Just like his time in Tampa and Chicago. All of his personal projects turn out to be busts.

Yes, he is. It isn’t true that we don’t develop DLs. And Lawrence might be the most technical impact DE in the entire league. He was also a guy people considered a bust early on. Collins. Woods. Crawford. All are guys who have developed under Marinelli. Gregory has issues of his own. So did Irving. That’s not on the coach. Hill is a first year player and its week 2.

Some of y’all are smoking crack.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You didn't watch the playoff game in January? All part of "getting better"!!
Yea I watched both playoff games last year. But of course you are only talking about the Rams game where LVE didnt maintain his gap assignment all game. Much like the play that Saquon ripped a long one. The difference is that LVE corrected it in the Littles game last week.

johneric8

Reaction score
I don't think this point has been made, but if it has excuse me here, but the problem I see with Marinelli is his defensive line and linebacker philosophies that he teaches. This is where the trouble can, will and has occurred.
One of his fundamentals is for the line to focus on the QB and tackle the running back on the way to the QB. This doesn't work anymore because of the speed of the players on offense, the lineman are more agile, and the list goes on and on.
What Marinelli teaches is not suitable in my opinion for today's NFL and causes our guys to get tied up with too much focus on the QB. We need a stylistic change, and much better line adjustments during the game. You're kidding yourself if you think that Marinelli isn't responsible for switching things up with how the defensive line is attacking. Richard would be much better in charge of the overall Defense without Marinelli's involvement in my opinion.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yea I watched both playoff games last year. But of course you are only talking about the Rams game where LVE didnt maintain his gap assignment all game. Much like the play that Saquon ripped a long one. The difference is that LVE corrected it in the Littles game last week.

Sure, lets blame LVE. The all world rookie, suddenly looked lost come playoff time. 270 yards on the ground was all his fault. lol

The Natural

Reaction score
Yes, he is. It isn’t true that we don’t develop DLs. And Lawrence might be the most technical impact DE in the entire league. He was also a guy people considered a bust early on. Collins. Woods. Crawford. All are guys who have developed under Marinelli. Gregory has issues of his own. So did Irving. That’s not on the coach. Hill is a first year player and its week 2.

Some of y’all are smoking crack.
Crawford is a JAG. You must be on crack.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't think this point has been made, but if it has excuse me here, but the problem I see with Marinelli is his defensive line and linebacker philosophies that he teaches. This is where the trouble can, will and has occurred.
One of his fundamentals is for the line to focus on the QB and tackle the running back on the way to the QB. This doesn't work anymore because of the speed of the players on offense, the lineman are more agile, and the list goes on and on.
What Marinelli teaches is not suitable in my opinion for today's NFL and causes our guys to get tied up with too much focus on the QB. We need a stylistic change, and much better line adjustments during the game. You're kidding yourself if you think that Marinelli isn't responsible for switching things up with how the defensive line is attacking. Richard would be much better in charge of the overall Defense without Marinelli's involvement in my opinion.

The philosophy of the defense definitely needs to change!! Well said. Does Richard bring that? I'm willing to take that chance.