Cautionary Tale about Need vs BPA

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly why you draft BPA.
There is no legitimate argument against it.
Taco was BPA.

I think you may want to rethink your last sentence.

Drafting strictly BPA, or any method for that matter, is foolish.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is one reason why I don't get the freak out about possibly using a 2nd or 3rd on a back.

Everyone thought Barber was a stud. And he was done in a year or two after his monster season.

Do I want to use a 2nd on a back, absolutely not.

But if you can demonstrate that the player has a chance to be a special back capable of starting if need be, I can be convinced.
I did not. Barber was way too limited as a RB to be a stud.

Hardline

Reaction score
Taco was BPA.

Taco wasn't BPA by a long shot. The Cowboys made the wrong choice. If the Cowboys chose BPA they would've chose Watt or Foster
Exactly why you take BPA It's a tried and true method.
The Saints drafted a pro bowl OT right after the Cowboys took Taco. There were many players ahead of Taco.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Taco wasn't BPA by a long shot. The Cowboys made the wrong choice. If the Cowboys chose BPA they would've chose Watt or Foster
The Saints drafted a pro bowl OT right after the Cowboys took Taco. There were many players ahead of Taco.
I think we'd have to see our board....which is the only one that matters.
But you may be right.

Or maybe Dallas just overrated him In the first place.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think we'd have to see our board....which is the only one that matters.
But you may be right.

Or maybe Dallas just overrated him In the first place.
Exactly. If they had Taco as BPA that's a very worrisome thing.

Sydla

Reaction score

Actually I believe at the time it was reported that the best player on their board at that time was a DB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Taco was rated higher than Watt.

You guys who keep spewing BPA, BPA, BPA, over and over and over keep on denying the predraft rating of players.

Bobby Carpenter was BPA. Mo was BPA.

Using only BPA is a completely and utterly foolish way to draft. Anyone who is drafting should be studying and considering a million things about every player. BPA should be considered, absolutely, along w/ needs, scheme fit, motor/attitude, learning ability, signability and re-signability, future replacements, injury possibilities, and many other items.

BPA takes for granted that there is some black and white way to rate prospects. There is not. Sure things bust and questions marks succeed.

Using need by itself, BTW, is also a very foolish way to draft. There quite simply is not one singular method to use. It's a complicated process.

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly. If they had Taco as BPA that's a very worrisome thing.
We had Mo as BPA.

Most teams/scouts had Taco rated as a mid/late 1st round pick. He was a project w/ upside. I wouldn't have taken him, but he was one of the BPA's at the time we drafted.

They also had Solomon Thomas, Charles Harris, and John Ross rated above him.

You're acting like it's all clear cut and dried as to a player's rating, and it's not even close.

kskboys

Reaction score
Was he?

Most of the world had a higher rating on OT Duane Brown.
Did they? There's a pile of rating services w/ different ratings for everyone. Who's rating are you going by?

It's simply not some exact science.

Now, if this thread was about not reaching due to need, I would agree w/ you completely.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taco was BPA.

Taco was a need influenced pick.

They had Awuzie rated 1 spot ahead of Taco.

I've heard they had RB Dalvin Cook and OT Ramczyk rated ahead of Taco.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

I remember reading they had Cook as a 1st rounder. Taco was rated a 2nd rounder.

kskboys

Reaction score

If you have Awuzie rated 1 spot higher, that means you have them rated the same. This is not an exact science.

Cook was forseen as having injury issues. And that's what's happening. Great talent, but can't take a high number of touches. You can find that type of player in rounds 3-6.

All picks are needs influenced. If you're not considering your needs, you're not improving your team. The primary problem comes when teams draft strictly for need, that's the mistake. An overemphasis on any one area often leads to drafting snafus.

I would've snapped up Ramczyk w/o a 2nd thought. I can't believe he slid that far. There was almost zero doubt that he'd be a quality NFL starter.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did they? There's a pile of rating services w/ different ratings for everyone. Who's rating are you going by?

It's simply not some exact science.

Now, if this thread was about not reaching due to need, I would agree w/ you completely.

This thread was as much about not avoiding high rated players because the team does not "need" that position as the thread is about not reaching for need.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Depends on who you ask. Most places I saw had him as a 1st round talent.
If I'm remembering correctly, I believe in the press conference after the pick. Stephen Jones said they had him rated as a 2nd rounder.

Sydla

Reaction score

Awuzie was not rated ahead of Taco if I recall. There was another DB ahead of Taco and some said it was Kevin King.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Awuzie was not rated ahead of Taco if I recall. There was another DB ahead of Taco and some said it was Kevin King.

No, Stephen Jones said they debated between Taco, Awuzie and Watt at that pick. They thought a CB they liked would make it to their 2nd round pick but that all of the pass rushers would be gone.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, Stephen Jones said they debated between Taco, Awuzie and Watt at that pick. They thought a CB they liked would make it to their 2nd round pick but that all of the pass rushers would be gone.

Got a link to that quote?

Because if you go back and read much of the analysis after that 2017 draft, it was widely reported/believed the CB they had up there was Kevin King. I am not sure why they'd keep saying that if Jones said the CB they were debating was Awuzie.

For example........

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-Who-Ordered-The-Taco-Combo-Platter-74910179/

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
If they had Awuzie rated 1 spot ahead of Taco, not going BPA was a smart move one would think considering they landed BOTH players. That was a DEEP draft at CB, and their draft strategy made a ton of sense. It worked.

If you draft Awuzie at #28, Taco wouldn't have lasted until #60. Miami was going to take Taco at #22 if Charles Harris wasn't available at their pick.

Dalvin Cook was the one player remaining that they had a 1st round grade on in 2017. You're not going to take an RB in the 1st round in back to back years, especially after you just took one in the top 5 the year before. That's idiotic.