Cavanaugh on Delpit

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Was listening to the Trust the Tape podcast and Jeff Cavanaugh cited some statistics regarding Delpit’s missed tackle percentages.

He mentioned Delpit missed 20% of his tackles in 2018 and 24% in 2019.

I can’t find the source of his stats but did find this PFF article from back in early Nov. 2019 just before the Bama/LSU game: “He (Delpit) has missed 13 of his 54 total tackle attempts [...]”

That equates to 24% which coincides with Cavanaugh’s number.

Either way, missing 20-24% of your tackle attempts over two seasons is HORRENDOUS.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Was listening to the Trust the Tape podcast and Jeff Cavanaugh cited some statistics regarding Delpit’s missed tackle percentages.

I can’t find the source of his stats but did find this PFF article from back in early Nov. 2019 just before the Bama/LSU game: “He (Delpit) has missed 13 of his 54 total tackle attempts [...]”

Either way, missing 20-24% of your tackle attempts over two seasons is HORRENDOUS.

Not good, but his coverage stats are the opposite in a good way.

I'm a Delpit fan but I do get the concerns. My thing on him is he has traits you can't teach and coach and weaknesses you can. Length, athleticism, quickness and instincts aren't coachable. He'd come in day 1 and be the best coverage safety we have and be able to give us snaps as a nickel/dime CB.

He's kind of like a bigger, longer, more athletic version of Woods that can cover better.

RS12

Reaction score
Oh and didn't the Cowboys lead the league in missed tackles last year? I am sure adding a 76% tackler will do wonders for that particular issue.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Debunks the whole injury excuse

morasp

Reaction score
The cornerback C. J. Henderson has the same affliction. Being good in coverage is only part of the job. It's the same on offense WRs and TEs have to be willing to block as well as run routes.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Oh and didn't the Cowboys lead the league in missed tackles last year? I am sure adding a 76% tackler will do wonders for that particular issue.

Seriously, the last thing this defense needs is to add another poor tackler.

When we had Mo Claiborne it was like playing defense with 10 guys instead of 11.

conner01

Reaction score
Not good, but his coverage stats are the opposite in a good way.

I'm a Delpit fan but I do get the concerns. My thing on him is he has traits you can't teach and coach and weaknesses you can. Length, athleticism, quickness and instincts aren't coachable. He'd come in day 1 and be the best coverage safety we have and be able to give us snaps as a nickel/dime CB.

He's kind of like a bigger, longer, more athletic version of Woods that can cover better.
He’s a pretty good coverage guy who is not a great tackle
If he was a CB that might be a bit more acceptable but a safety has to tackle
I’ve watch him a bunch and he is a Cover guy who can play day one but I just don’t know that he can be a great safety because of his run defense

morasp

Reaction score
RANK 15
Xavier-McKinney-1.jpg

Xavier McKinney, S
School: Alabama | Year: Junior
McKinney was an instinctive safety for the Tide and he also spent some time playing nickel linebacker. When aligned deep, he is fluid in his movement and he's quick to key/read and drive on the football. His range is excellent. While he can effectively locate the ball, he will occasionally lose a 50/50 battle down the field. He is a dependable wrap/drag tackler. He has a very good feel as a blitzer, displaying timing and burst. Overall, McKinney is an intelligent, versatile defender and he should be very effective in multiple roles.

RANK 27
Jaylon-Johnson-1.jpg

Jaylon Johnson, CB
School: Utah | Year: Junior
Johnson offers an enticing size/speed combination for the position. He plays a lot of press-bail technique, but also flashes a firm two-hand jam. He is very fluid to open up and has plenty of long speed to carry vertical routes. He also excels when he slides inside to cover the slot. He was rarely challenged down the field in the games I studied. His ball production was outstanding in 2018 and opposing teams chose to avoid him this fall. He is very aggressive versus the run. He closes quickly before coming to balance and delivering firm tackles. Overall, Johnson is very talented and should be a Day 1 starter outside with the potential to cover in the slot, as well.

RANK 32
A.J.-Terrell-1.jpg

A.J. Terrell, CB
School: Clemson | Year: Junior
Terrell is a tall, slender cornerback prospect with a strong resume in a variety of coverages and techniques. In press coverage, he uses an effective one-hand jam before turning and opening up. He can carry vertical routes with his speed, but he is a little bit sticky when he's forced to gear down and come back downhill. In off coverage, he has a quick pedal, but there is a brief pause in his plant/drive. He has very good ball awareness down the field. He is a reliable tackler and an outstanding blitzer from the boundary corner spot. He had a rough outing against LSU in the national title game, but was otherwise very steady this fall. Overall, Terrell has some tightness, but he's a very solid player who should emerge as a quality No. 2 cornerback for his drafting team.

RANK 38
Kristian-Fulton-1.jpg

Kristian Fulton, CB
School: LSU | Year: Senior
Fulton has good size for the position and he's very fluid, smart and competitive. In press coverage, he switches up his technique. He's primarily patient, but he'll occasionally land a quick two-hand jam. He lacks elite top speed and he's had some issues timing his leap on jump balls down the field. From off coverage, he's very aware and shows some pop out of his plant/drive. He is very aggressive in run support. He fights through blocks and is very reliable in space. Overall, Fulton has some flaws, but I'll bet on his intangibles and toughness.

RANK 42
Damon-Arnette-1.jpg

Damon Arnette, CB
School: Ohio State | Year: Senior (RS)
Arnette is an aggressive cornerback prospect with a good combination of size, speed and ball skills. He is very physical in press coverage and has plenty of speed to stay on the hip versus vertical routes. He displays some rigidity when he has to flip his hips and open up underneath. He is very twitchy when he plants and drives on the ball from off coverage. He doesn't have any issues locating and playing the football. He is very anxious to get involved in the run game and has a high batting average as a tackler. Overall, Arnette has some stiffness, but he's capable of playing at a high level in man or zone schemes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hs-top-50-2020-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-10

cnuball21

Reaction score
He’s a pretty good coverage guy who is not a great tackle
If he was a CB that might be a bit more acceptable but a safety has to tackle
I’ve watch him a bunch and he is a Cover guy who can play day one but I just don’t know that he can be a great safety because of his run defense

If you draft him with a plan to maximize his strengths I think he’s fine.

DanA

Reaction score
I recognize the weakness.

I personally think he plays as a Byron Jones (rookie year) type big nickel as a rookie and is worth the pick at 17-25.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I recognize the weakness.

I personally think he plays as a Byron Jones (rookie year) type big nickel as a rookie and is worth the pick at 17-25.

He’d give us the best back end FS play we’ve had in over a decade, he can man up against TEs and give us nickel/dime CB reps.

I agree the tackling issue is legit but think that is something that can be improved if he has the right head / mindset.

If so, he can do a LOT to help make this a better defense.