CB Sam Beal trying to enter supplemental draft

tm1119

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-sam-beal-filing-to-enter-supplemental-draft/

Innteresting about the part that his GPA isn’t bad...guess he just took a bunch of stupid classes that didn’t amount to him being eligible? I don’t know enough about the academic side of college ball to do anything other than completely guess.

Obviously the coach isn’t going to trash the player on the way out, but seems like Beal might actually be a decent kid and not too much of risk character wise.

We don’t have a huge need at CB so doubt it will be us, but I think someone will give up at least a 4th to take a shot on Beal

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm huge on Sam Beal. He was going to be on my 2019 Cowboys Draftwatch list.

Beal has decent size, great feet, and from what I saw, very good technique. Someone might legitimately throw a 1st at him, but my guess is a #2 or #3. His addition would hurt Adonis Alexander but still are both draftable CB's with potential to start.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-sam-beal-filing-to-enter-supplemental-draft/

Innteresting about the part that his GPA isn’t bad...guess he just took a bunch of stupid classes that didn’t amount to him being eligible? I don’t know enough about the academic side of college ball to do anything other than completely guess.

Obviously the coach isn’t going to trash the player on the way out, but seems like Beal might actually be a decent kid and not too much of risk character wise.

We don’t have a huge need at CB so doubt it will be us, but I think someone will give up at least a 4th to take a shot on Beal

This article mentions that Dak's buddy Brandon Bryant. a safety from Mississippi State, might enter as well. He's run a sub 4.3 40 and was the star of the Bulldogs defense. I'd be curious if we'd throw a pick at him in the supplemental.

John813

Reaction score
This article mentions that Dak's buddy Brandon Bryant. a safety from Mississippi State, might enter as well. He's run a sub 4.3 40 and was the star of the Bulldogs defense. I'd be curious if we'd throw a pick at him in the supplemental.

I've read(so grain of salt) that his instincts are ok but lacks awareness. Also stated he tries to go for the big hit instead of a proper tackle.

JustChip

Reaction score
I'm huge on Sam Beal. He was going to be on my 2019 Cowboys Draftwatch list.

Beal has decent size, great feet, and from what I saw, very good technique. Someone might legitimately throw a 1st at him, but my guess is a #2 or #3. His addition would hurt Adonis Alexander but still are both draftable CB's with potential to start.

The analysis I read was that he was suited for man coverage, didn't play the run well, nor had good hands. If the analysis is right, he's going to have to go to the right defensive scheme. The lack of good hands is a big concern.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hang on, so what's the rule with Supplemental draft players? If they don't go drafted, do they automatically become free agents? Or do they become eligible to be redrafted next year? Because if they become FAs, then they could become rather viable options to add into our mix of players.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hang on, so what's the rule with Supplemental draft players? If they don't go drafted, do they automatically become free agents? Or do they become eligible to be redrafted next year? Because if they become FAs, then they could become rather viable options to add into our mix of players.
They would be udfa.

John813

Reaction score
While I like our current lineup at DB, I also don't mind taking a flier on Beal(day 3 pick).
If Richard likes size, Beal and Alexander have the length and talent down pat, Beal more so than Alexander, but still.

Longterm a lineup of Beal and Awuzie on the outside, and Lewis in the slot sounds good.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Well, that'd be PERFECT for us if it goes that way.

I think we have a good shot at any safety prospect that goes undrafted.

There is no top level talent stopping players from starting and we also have zero depth compared to the other teams.

If they choose based on oppurtunity, it's hard to see any team with more oppurtunity for a UDFA

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think we have a good shot at any safety prospect that goes undrafted.

There is no top level talent stopping players from starting and we also have zero depth compared to the other teams.

If they choose based on oppurtunity, it's hard to see any team with more oppurtunity for a UDFA

Exactly, and that's where I think we have the advantage if Beal goes undrafted. However, I think out of fear of that exact situation, I think someone might try to auction off a pick for him. That might create quite the chain reaction.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I heard he ran his 40 in 4.40...regardless...I wonder if we would have any interest? I'm just not buying Byron Jones @ CB. He was moved from there for a reason...he was god awful.
I am sure he would be viewed as a "progress stopper" for Duke Thomas or some other nonsense.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
all 32 teams in attendance for his pro day.

Kid's legit.

Just read about his 3 cone numbers...ran a 7.11...that's slow. Tells me he can't bend....and that's no bueno for a CB.:rolleyes:

Plus he is skinnier than Garrett...178LBs..:omg:

Someone get that kid a sandwich:popcorn:

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
The analysis I read was that he was suited for man coverage, didn't play the run well, nor had good hands. If the analysis is right, he's going to have to go to the right defensive scheme. The lack of good hands is a big concern.
That doesn't seem to have stopped us getting a CB before... when's the last time we had a decent CB with good hands? :confused:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

If he looks like Jennifer Beal sign him,post haste

J7Tu.gif