CBS: Dak and projected 2020 franchise tag of $32.5M

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yeah I saw just as many go 3/4 feet above their head but I know y'all don't want y'all's football bae to have any faults. He's Alex Smith Jr. You need to accept it now before you turn on him later
Hes our QB and a really good one considering we did no preparation for the end of Romos career and couldnt even draft the guys we wanted as back up taking Dak as a last resort . You need to accept it He has way over achieved

AtomicDog

Reaction score
I'm good with franchise tagging Dak. He is the QB of the no 1 offense in the NFL and No. 6 offense in scoring points. I don't know how much more he can do for you. Staubach had Landry, Aikman had Johnson, Romo and Dak both have had who? Jason.

zerofill

Reaction score
This is thing about Dak. If you decide to move away from him, you now have to go into QB search mode and that is a daunting difficult task. We were spoiled with Romo and to a degree Dak but for each one of them there are 10 Quincy Carter's. Anyone remember those days? How about some Chad Hutchinson? That gap between Aikman and Romo was brutal.

So you have to ask yourself can you win with Dak if he has top shelf talent around him? Would a better defense and better play calling on offense or just plain better coaching in general make it work?

He's neither as bad or as good as most folks describe on this board, he's probably square in the middle somewhere.

Yeah he is average... that is the problem with it all. He is not consistent, never will be consistent. His agent seems to have him thinking he is the best QB in the NFL.

I don't know what is coming up in the draft, I don't watch college. We are pick 17 anyway I think it was... like always in the same friggin spot.

I know this franchise should be able to have our own Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Jackson... but god forbid we ever get them.

We are going to need a special QB, to ever make up for the lack of everything else in Dallas. So they need to start working on that.

Let Dak's agent feel like a moron, like he should... by letting him go test the market. His agent obviously thinks that NFL teams just go look at nfl.com's leader boards or something.

I got news for Dak though... all those endorsements... they won't be there when he isn't the Dallas QB.
He could have signed for $28-30mil at the start of the season probably, and been making $45mil including endorsements... But no... we have to make sure our actual contract shows the world
we are the top paid QB in the NFL. These agents, and players are something else anymore.

zerofill

Reaction score
The reason we didn't find a QB was because jerry kept hoping a scrub/project would pan out instead of just straight up drafting a blue chip QB..

The Eagles liked a QB and went and got him (wentz)

The Chiefs drafted Mahomes despite already having Smith on the roster..

Why can't we do the same?

It's embarrassing to even be talked about as the most valuable franchise in sports, and in the same discussion, throw in 25 years of jokes.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
With Dak taking up so much cap, you won't be able to sign top defensive players.

If Dak can't get it done with this defense, what makes you think he will with a bottom feeder defense?

This defense? This defense wasn't good this season, not by a long shot...there was offensive issues as well but don't pretend we had a top tier defense all season because we didn't.
And also you draft top tier talent on defense which is something we've failed horribly to do, they've tried though we've invested plenty of capital on drafting defensive players we've just missed on most of them unfortunately.

Dak has his issues but we absolutely could win with him. There is one singular issue that's stopped this team competing for SBs for the past 25 years and it's almost NEVER been a talent issue.
We need a great coaching staff in Dallas or it's always going to be more of the same, maybe at some point we might assemble such an uber talented team that we'll win a SB but it'll be almost impossible.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
who said all world? Or even top 5? What’s wrong with y’all man, is honest discussion too much to ask for?

but no, cinci would much rather draft a stud on a 5 yr rookie wage. Stop being disingenuous (or flat out stupid if it’s not purposeful )

People are saying we have no choice but to make Prescott the highest paid player in history of the league

I don't think it's disingenuous, or stupid, to conclude that such people think he's at the very least a top 5 quarterback if he's worthy of being paid more than anybody who's ever played the game

I mean, have you heard anybody say I don't think Dak's any more than a top 10-12 quarterback but I still think we should pay him $35-40 million a year? And if anybody is saying that, then I submit to you THAT would be stupid

DarthVander

Reaction score
We’ll be a 2-14 team without him. Yes, the entire team playing bad against good competition worries me too...it’s not just Dak...the entire team looks lethargic.

Proof

Reaction score
People are saying we have no choice but to make Prescott the highest paid player in history of the league

I don't think it's disingenuous, or stupid, to conclude that such people think he's at the very least a top 5 quarterback if he's worthy of being paid more than anybody who's ever played the game

I mean, have you heard anybody say I don't think that's any more than a top 10-12 quarterback but I still think we should pay him $35-40 million a year? And if anybody is saying that, then I submit to you THAT would be stupid

I haven’t seen that. Earlier I’m the season I think there was a bit of a stretch where there was some top 5 chatter but that’s pretty much gone now. Definitely no one has called him all world. And the mechanics of the qb market just aren’t going to change unfortunately. I keep waiting for a breaking point and it doesn’t come. So the reality of the situation is just when your qb is due, he’s going to likely set the market, and we’ve got mahomes up soon who will turn the entire thing on it’s head. We’ve simply got to divorce “worth” from “cost” because outside of three or four guys they’re rarely going to be the same. For what it’s worth though I think he’s our guy and that we’re lucky to have him. And 18 months ago I was almost completely out on him

mardwin

Reaction score
You just shot yourself in the foot. Marino went to one super bowl and lost. Not early and often.

Payton Manning didn't make it until his 9th year in the league.

For some reason, you're making my argument stronger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both Manning and Marino were the defacto offensive players DC planned for; everyone who plays against Dallas plan for Zeke and they see 8-9 men in the box almost every time. Manning/Marino see 8-9 men front and they would carve that secondary, Dak is not good enough to compare to those guys.

Section446

Reaction score
Both Manning and Marino were the defacto offensive players DC planned for; everyone who plays against Dallas plan for Zeke and they see 8-9 men in the box almost every time. Manning/Marino see 8-9 men front and they would carve that secondary, Dak is not good enough to compare to those guys.
Yup, nobody is worried about Dak, they invite him to try and beat them with his arm.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Hes our QB and a really good one considering we did no preparation for the end of Romos career and couldnt even draft the guys we wanted as back up taking Dak as a last resort . You need to accept it He has way over achieved
He's our QB and a very average one. I've accepted that he is Alex Smith Jr and most that like him like him for non football reasons because it sure isn't on the field reasons for about 3 years.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
We’ll be a 2-14 team without him. Yes, the entire team playing bad against good competition worries me too...it’s not just Dak...the entire team looks lethargic.
Get the hell out of here Dak and work on your accuracy. Can't believe you're resorting to using burner accounts like Kevin Durant.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He's guaranteed $65M over next 2 years from the tag..........Hell, I'd strongly consider this route

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ins-sizing-up-the-options-for-cowboys-and-qb/

Agent's Take: Could Dak Prescott become the next Kirk Cousins? Sizing up the options for Cowboys and QB
Dallas may have to accept the reality of the franchise tag dynamic with its star quarterback

I would have no problem with the franchise tag.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Where are you seeing all these stacked boxes? Are you counting them or are you just repeating what continues to be said despite objective data disproving it? NFL Next Gen stats counts 8 & 9 men in the box for RBs. Zeke ran against a stacked box on 19.27% of his 301 carries...meaning 58 carries. They don't count for QBs but we can look at the passing splits to see formations. Out of Dak's 596 passing attempts, 233 were in a 3 WR set and 277 attempts were with 4 WRs . Teams aren't putting 8-9 men in the box and leaving receivers unguarded all game long.

We face far, far fewer 8&9 men stacked boxes than people believe and I'm not sure why the perception is we face stacked box "almost every time".

Swagger

Reaction score
I'm amazed that some people are unable to see the clear stat padding by Prescott last season.

It's just a clear observation. Garbage time yards and touchdowns in games we were never going to win as we had already fallen too far behind.

Shame we beat the Commanders as it may have been at the expense of being to draft Justin Herbert.

Swagger

Reaction score
AFC winner will be between Ravens abd Chiefs. Two teams with QB's on cheap deals. 49ers are most likely winners of the NFC and they have a QB who has shown a capability to win a few big games when required but mostly it has been about their defense. Either way they got Jimmy G nailed down to a decent,fair deal when you look at the market.

I personally prefer going the rookie QB contract route rather than paying a QB big money as it relies on continually hitting on the draft and excellent coaching if in reality the QB is incapable of getting you over the hump as the team lost good players to pay/keep him.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm amazed that some people are unable to see the clear stat padding by Prescott last season.

It's just a clear observation. Garbage time yards and touchdowns in games we were never going to win as we had already fallen too far behind.

Shame we beat the Commanders as it may have been at the expense of being to draft Justin Herbert.
Well, stat padding and garbage time stats were good enough for Romo. He was a master of carving defenses up when they played prevent in the 4th.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
who said all world? Or even top 5? What’s wrong with y’all man, is honest discussion too much to ask for?

but no, cinci would much rather draft a stud on a 5 yr rookie wage. Stop being disingenuous (or flat out stupid if it’s not purposeful )

You do know that just cause your drafted top 15 doesn’t mean your a stud ... just ask Cleveland and Jets about Mayfield and Darnold ... hell even ask Chicago about Trubisky

zeke21

Reaction score
Where are you seeing all these stacked boxes? Are you counting them or are you just repeating what continues to be said despite objective data disproving it? NFL Next Gen stats counts 8 & 9 men in the box for RBs. Zeke ran against a stacked box on 19.27% of his 301 carries...meaning 58 carries. They don't count for QBs but we can look at the passing splits to see formations. Out of Dak's 596 passing attempts, 233 were in a 3 WR set and 277 attempts were with 4 WRs . Teams aren't putting 8-9 men in the box and leaving receivers unguarded all game long.

We face far, far fewer 8&9 men stacked boxes than people believe and I'm not sure why the perception is we face stacked box "almost every time".
If you don't think that defences plan for Zeke and mainly zeke then you are deliberately not paying attention. Stop Zeke and you win. It is a simple plan and one that has worked effectively. All teams try it.. the ones that don't have good enough run defence get carved up.

Dak is really just an average middle tier QB.. in a good team he looks ok in a bad team he would be horrific.. like fired after six weeks horrific. I'd love to see Dak on another team just to show you how incompetent he is.