CBS: Fatal flaws for all 32 teams

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Not scared.
Actually the rush D was decent all last year until the Rams debacle.
They allowed 3.8 yards per rush. 400 -1513. Could it be better, yes, but it was not all that bad either. they made stops when they needed to many times.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018.htm

Barkely in his 2 games, 11-28, and the last game, meaningless to us without some of the D playing the entire game, 17-109.

Guice was injured so can't say anything about him, and Howard can be very good. But if we can contain Barkely, we can contain him.
I'm just thinking that we got exposed in that Rams game. Teams that have pretty good RB's might try attack us with their ground game. Hopefully that Rams game was more about the Rams o'line than Dallas' defensive front.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said the Rams weren't running the ball well. You can't even read.

Yeah, blame the other guy when you get things totally wrong.
:lmao:

Follow one epic blunder up with another.

Keep your lousy "insights" to yourself. You suck at it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not scared.
Actually the rush D was decent all last year until the Rams debacle.
They allowed 3.8 yards per rush. 400 -1513. Could it be better, yes, but it was not all that bad either. they made stops when they needed to many times.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018.htm

Barkely in his 2 games, 11-28, and the last game, meaningless to us without some of the D playing the entire game, 17-109.

Guice was injured so can't say anything about him, and Howard can be very good. But if we can contain Barkely, we can contain him.

What bothers me is the inconsistency of the run defense. When they were good? They were really good. But when they were bad? Man, they were really bad.

And hearing that the Rams knew what they were doing "90% of the time" is both scary and embarrassing. If that doesn't get fixed, nothing else will matter.

Sydla

Reaction score
Right. But yards and TOP don't matter, points do.

The Rams had the high TOP, in part, becuase the Cowboys scored so quick (I think I mis-stated that before). Yes, the defense got run over, but the offense did absolutely nothing on their remaining drives in the half, which exaggerated the issue a ton. The Cowboys next 4 drives totaled 64 yards. That is impossible for a defense to overcome, especially against a good offense.

The concern about the defense being worn down is as much a concern about the offense's inability as it is about the defense struggling.

But again, the Cowboys defense couldn't stop the run from the first play in the game.

Lamenting that's because our offense stalled in the 2nd quarter really is a reach at this point. They couldn't stop the Rams from running when they were fresh and not worn down.

It's just downright bizarre to blame the defense's problems on the offense when the Rams did whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted, right from the very first play of the game.

That's not to say the offense didn't have some effect but the clear large problem from the defense was self inflicted by poor play from the players and poor coaching from the defensive staff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But again, the Cowboys defense couldn't stop the run from the first play in the game.

Lamenting that's because our offense stalled in the 2nd quarter really is a reach at this point. They couldn't stop the Rams from running when they were fresh and not worn down.

It's just downright bizarre to blame the defense's problems on the offense when the Rams did whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted, right from the very first play of the game.

That's not to say the offense didn't have some effect but the clear large problem from the defense was self inflicted by poor play from the players and poor coaching from the defensive staff.

Good luck in talking to that wall. You're handling it much more tactfully than I am.
:thumbup:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's that one gap B.S. we run on defense. I like Parcells ideology. Big tall long armed defensive linemen playing a two gap system. With that one gap B.S. we run you need all seven guys to be in the right spot in order for it to work properly. One step in the wrong direction and the o'line can create a seam for the RB.

Can't win a game of chess when your opponent knows each and every move you're going to make (or "90%" anyway!).

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Can't win a game of chess when your opponent knows each and every move you're going to make (or "90%" anyway!).
Now. Do you think they fix that in this years off season? Using stunts and jumping around the offensive linemen are designed to get pressure on the QB, not stop the run. And now you are telegraphing your stunts. I'm pissed just thinking about next year now. Because the FO might think it's just one game. They might think it's an anomaly. "Stay the course it won't happen again."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now. Do you think they fix that in this years off season? Using stunts and jumping around the offensive linemen are designed to get pressure on the QB, not stop the run. And now you are telegraphing your stunts. I'm pissed just thinking about next year now. Because the FO might think it's just one game. They might think it's an anomaly. "Stay the course it won't happen again."

If that's what they think, they deserve what they get. And that will be a whole lot of ineffectiveness and losing. But I think the good news is that the Rams players essentially came out and told the world what they saw and what they were keying on. If this doesn't get Marinelli to change things, there's no help for him, and he's a clear detriment to this team at this point.

From what I saw, the reason that the team had to stunt was because the majority of their defensive linemen couldn't generate pressure otherwise. Outside of Lawrence and Gregory, none of the other defensive linemen are pass rush threats without scheme help.

But sadly, and once again, I think it speaks to a bigger issue and shortcoming that this team has - pro scouting. And that refers to both the scouting of pro players around the league in terms of signing and trades, as well as self-evaluation. It's an indictment that other teams can find and exploit tendencies and tells when you can't. It's another huge area of competitive advantage in the NFL and if you're lagging behind - and we are - it's a huge disadvantage.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'm not arguing that. The Cowboys struggled with run defense, I never said anything otherwise.

My point is that the run game was made much more effective because the Cowboys offense was pathetic.

But in general, I think the idea that the Cowboys run defense is going to be exploited all year based on one bad game is ridiculous.

Flamma

Reaction score
What the hell is "The Fish Bowl" and "Crazytown"? What kind of fatal flaw is that? If I talk to my friends about team flaws they may say WR, or offensive line, but a Dolphins fan says he's worried about his fish bowl?

I also think they could have chosen something more substantial than Crazytown for Oakland. They have flaws all over the place.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You’re playing a LG at RT and he hasn’t looked great, and you’re playing a RT at LG and he’s been worse than the other guy. It seems so easy to fix, especially with how good Collins was at LG a few years ago.

Your LG is not a starting RT IMO and your RT is not going back to LG unless you pay him NFL Tackle money. I mean, it seems easy but it's probably not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your LG is not a starting RT IMO and your RT is not going back to LG unless you pay him NFL Tackle money. I mean, it seems easy but it's probably not.

You don't think Connor Williams can play right tackle?

Sydla

Reaction score
Good luck in talking to that wall. You're handling it much more tactfully than I am.
:thumbup:

I guess I could understand the argument better if during the course of the game, our run D started to get shoddy the longer they were out there.

But that's not the case. They had like 85-90 yards rushing by the time their second drive ended at the start of the 2nd Q.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that. The Cowboys struggled with run defense, I never said anything otherwise.

My point is that the run game was made much more effective because the Cowboys offense was pathetic.

But in general, I think the idea that the Cowboys run defense is going to be exploited all year based on one bad game is ridiculous.

Well I wouldn't agree with that last part either. It was one game where Marinelli and Richard got out coached. That won't happen all the time.

Sydla

Reaction score

I still unclear why people think Williams can't play RT? Because he has shorter arms? Frankly, I think with his feet and his lack of pure overpowering strength, he's a better fit at RT than LG. I think people make way too much of arm length and measurables with a RT.

Collins is gone IMO after this year. Unless he signs a really favorable contract.