CBS: Fatal flaws for all 32 teams

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You don't think Connor Williams can play right tackle?

Nope. My opinion on Williams, who I am a big fan of BTW, has not changed much from the day he entered the draft. Great feet, great motor, very coachable, excellent technique, very mobile, has trouble anchoring, does not have an exceptional punch, to lite in the seat, may not have the body type necessary to add enough weight to anchor against powerful pass rushers.

Never saw him as a RT or RG in the NFL. Questioned playing him at LG in our scheme because it basically takes away from his best asset, which is mobility and agility. I always saw him as a LT in the NFL. I think he might be able to give you a few games at RT in a pinch but I don't see him as a starter there.

That's just my opinion of him but it hasn't changed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess I could understand the argument better if during the course of the game, our run D started to get shoddy the longer they were out there.

But that's not the case. They had like 85-90 yards rushing by the time their second drive ended at the start of the 2nd Q.

Exactly right. And that totally refutes his inane claims and he doesn't like it. Too bad. Facts are facts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. My opinion on Williams, who I am a big fan of BTW, has not changed much from the day he entered the draft. Great feet, great motor, very coachable, excellent technique, very mobile, has trouble anchoring, does not have an exceptional punch, to light in the seat, may not have the body type necessary to add enough weight to anchor against powerful pass rushers.

Never saw him as a RT or RG in the NFL. Questioned playing him at LG in our scheme because it basically takes away from his best asset, which is mobility and agility. I always saw him as a LT in the NFL. I think he might be able to give you a few games at RT in a pinch but I don't see him as a starter there.

That's just my opinion of him but it hasn't changed.

I certainly feel that by your own assessment, he has virtually all of the traits he needs to play right tackle. You yourself say he can play left tackle, and he did just that (at a high level) in college. Rare is the guy who can play left tackle, the more demanding position, but not right.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I certainly feel that by your own assessment, he has virtually all of the traits he needs to play right tackle. You yourself say he can play left tackle, and he did just that (at a high level) in college. Rare is the guy who can play left tackle, the more demanding position, but not right.

No, that is not what I said, at all. I said he can give you a couple of games at RT, in a pinch but he is not a RT IMO. He would have to get much, much stronger, especially in his lower body. Once teams figure him out, he would get abused as a starter at RT IMO. Everybody hated Free at RT. That's exactly what would happen to Williams IMO, only 10x.

If you think he can play RT, that's fine but let me make it perfectly clear that nothing in my post suggests that I believe he can be a good RT without a lot more strength added to a frame that I am not certain can add enough weight to. Williams was in the area of 295 when drafted. He added a good 10 lbs. over the offseason. That still only brings him to 305. That is very light for a RT in a power running scheme.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, that is not what I said, at all. I said he can give you a couple of games at RT, in a pinch but he is not a RT IMO. He would have to get much, much stronger, especially in his lower body. Once teams figure him out, he would get abused as a starter at RT IMO. Everybody hated Free at RT. That's exactly what would happen to Williams IMO, only 10x.

I don't argue that he needs to get stronger, but I do argue that lack of strength is more of an issue inside at guard than it is outside at tackle. And by all measures, his strength was better than Collins and especially Free even last year. I don't think it's the issue outside that you seem to.

If you think he can play RT, that's fine but let me make it perfectly clear that nothing in my post suggests that I believe he can be a good RT without a lot more strength added to a frame that I am not certain can add enough weight to. Williams was in the area of 295 when drafted. He added a good 10 lbs. over the offseason. That still only brings him to 305.

It sounds like you're confusing "weight" with "strength".

That is very light for a RT in a power running scheme.

Do you feel that the Cowboys run a "power running scheme"?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Your LG is not a starting RT IMO and your RT is not going back to LG unless you pay him NFL Tackle money. I mean, it seems easy but it's probably not.

It was Collins who asked for the switch? I understand the money thing, but he genuinely looked good at LG. There is a strong possibility Dallas doesn’t extend him if he doesn’t improve at RT, the risk might blow up in his face.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't argue that he needs to get stronger, but I do argue that lack of strength is more of an issue inside at guard than it is outside at tackle. And by all measures, his strength was better than Collins and especially Free even last year. I don't think it's the issue outside that you seem to.

It sounds like you're confusing "weight" with "strength".

Do you feel that the Cowboys run a "power running scheme"?

I'm not confused about who Williams is at all. I've watched him play since he first showed up at Texas. I'm also not confused about the role weight and strength play along the Offensive Line. To play RT in the NFL, you have to be able to anchor and you have to be able to have strength. I don't care how strong you are, weight counts along the OL. If you believe he can play RT, that's fine with me but don't attribute my comments to suggest that I hold that same belief.

I don't know what measures you are talking about, in terms of Collins and Williams but I saw nothing that suggested, to me, that he played stronger then Collins.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It was Collins who asked for the switch? I understand the money thing, but he genuinely looked good at LG. There is a strong possibility Dallas doesn’t extend him if he doesn’t improve at RT, the risk might blow up in his face.

It could, I agree.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Just for context, about 28 fan bases are complaining about coaching year round. It's that way in every sport.

Is it that way for 8 years straight? And if so, there may be a reason for that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not confused about who Williams is at all. I've watched him play since he first showed up at Texas. I'm also not confused about the role weight and strength play along the Offensive Line. To play RT in the NFL, you have to be able to anchor and you have to be able to have strength.

To be able to play period in the NFL you have to be able to anchor, but you seem to feel that that is different on the left side than it is on the right for some reason.

I don't care how strong you are, weight counts along the OL. If you believe he can play RT, that's fine with me but don't attribute my comments to suggest that I hold that same belief.

I'm not, you obviously have some notion of a huge difference anchoring at left tackle vs anchoring at right tackle. You yourself said he could play left tackle. And some vague determiner of what strength is and how it's tied to weight, with no supporting evidence of that.

I don't know what measures you are talking about, in terms of Collins and Williams but I saw nothing that suggested, to me, that he played stronger then Collins.

I'm referring to those that have been measured, in this case, his bench press numbers. What are YOUR numbers here?

What's your measurement of strength that he's lacking? Or is this simply fan opinion?

Sydla

Reaction score

I don't think they are going to extend him anyway. Even if he's mediocre, someone will probably pay him a decent chunk of change. I think that's part of the logic of taking McGovern and the chatter that Williams will cross train this offseason at RT.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Uh, yes it does. You can't just keep handing the ball off if the other team's offense is getting first downs and scoring. After the TD, Dallas' next 4 drives ended in punts, and lasted a total of 7:00.

You absolutely can just Keep handing the ball off, when you’re gauging the defense for big YPA and marching right down the field on them with almost no resistance.

The Rams rushing offense was trashing our defense from the opening kickoff until the final whistle.

Last edited:

MaaS

Reaction score
It's fair. We're consistently one of the most penalized teams in the league. That's a pretty big indicator of sloppy coaching. If you let guys hold in practice, they'll hold more often in games. If you let them start giving tells in their stance, somebody like McVay will eventually pick up on it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Right. But yards and TOP don't matter, points do.

The Rams had the high TOP, in part, becuase the Cowboys scored so quick (I think I mis-stated that before). Yes, the defense got run over, but the offense did absolutely nothing on their remaining drives in the half, which exaggerated the issue a ton. The Cowboys next 4 drives totaled 64 yards. That is impossible for a defense to overcome, especially against a good offense.

The concern about the defense being worn down is as much a concern about the offense's inability as it is about the defense struggling.

Yards and TOP don’t matter? Chip Kelly is that you?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think they are going to extend him anyway. Even if he's mediocre, someone will probably pay him a decent chunk of change. I think that's part of the logic of taking McGovern and the chatter that Williams will cross train this offseason at RT.

I think that was the plan anyway - McGovern or not. Him falling into their laps just allows them to better prepare and do things earlier if they wanted. I think Plan A was to have Fleming under contract to play right tackle in 2020 with Williams playing left guard. Plan B was moving Williams to RT and cutting Fleming and that contract he signed and worrying about finding a left guard next year. But now that they have McGovern, they have a Plan C. Let McGovern compete at LG this year and put Williams at RT now and battle it out with Collins while gaining experience. This provides them that luxury. But Fleming should rent not buy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To be able to play period in the NFL you have to be able to anchor, but you seem to feel that that is different on the left side than it is on the right for some reason.

I'm not, you obviously have some notion of a huge difference anchoring at left tackle vs anchoring at right tackle. You yourself said he could play left tackle. And some vague determiner of what strength is and how it's tied to weight, with no supporting evidence of that.

I'm referring to those that have been measured, in this case, his bench press numbers. What are YOUR numbers here?

What's your measurement of strength that he's lacking? Or is this simply fan opinion?

Yeah, there is a huge difference between how you play LT vs RT. I mean, I don't understand this entire conversation. You were the one who said he plays with more strength then Collins and yet you accuse me of coming up with some "vague" determiner. Really..............

So what are you going to use as a measurement on this. I mean, of course watching the kid will not count right? Are we looking for Bench numbers? Tough to present those as proof since Williams put up 29 and Collins never lifted at the Combine because he was unable to take part. So you tell me, if what we see is not enough, what measure would you like to use?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Yes, no other team last season thought to try to run the ball against the Cowboys....The Rams could run at will because the Cowboys offense couldn't do anything. They played bad but it's not as if it's some grand concern. It's one bad game, happens to every defense.
It's like the Titans and Colts games never happened.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think that was the plan anyway - McGovern or not. Him falling into their laps just allows them to better prepare and do things earlier if they wanted. I think Plan A was to have Fleming under contract to play right tackle in 2020 with Williams playing left guard. Plan B was moving Williams to RT and cutting Fleming and that contract he signed and worrying about finding a left guard next year. But now that they have McGovern, they have a Plan C. Let McGovern compete at LG this year and put Williams at RT now and battle it out with Collins while gaining experience. This provides them that luxury. But Fleming should rent not buy.

It would have been nice to have taken an OT in this draft as a developmental guy but we had limited picks. I like Hyatt but understand UDFAs are a long shot to make any impact.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, there is a huge difference between how you play LT vs RT. I mean, I don't understand this entire conversation. You were the one who said he plays with more strength then Collins and yet you accuse me of coming up with some "vague" determiner. Really..............

Actually I never said that. But nice Strawman. What I did say and continue to say is that by what has been measured, he has shown to be stronger than both Collins and Free. Where is your counter evidence?

So what are you going to use as a measurement on this. I mean, of course watching the kid will not count right? Are we looking for Bench numbers? Tough to present those as proof since Williams put up 29 and Collins never lifted at the Combine because he was unable to take part.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lael-collins?id=2552361

So you tell me, if what we see is not enough, what measure would you like to use?

Anything is better than just some guy's opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would have been nice to have taken an OT in this draft as a developmental guy but we had limited picks. I like Hyatt but understand UDFAs are a long shot to make any impact.

I don't think all "UDFA"'s are create equal either. The team seems to think that they stole at least two offensive tackles.