CBS - Rookies who will make a leap, Pollard mentioned

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Here is the full article:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...eap-in-year-2-including-predictions-and-more/

Here is the entry on Pollard:
Pollard was an award-winning collegiate dynamo in the return game, but he looked completely indecisive in his first year handling those responsibilities for the Cowboys. That led to mistakes and some that were almost, if not for them being cleaned up at the last second, but there's no denying he can change the game on the special teams front. What's more, he's also proven he can be an impact compliment to two-time NFL rushing champ Ezekiel Elliott, when he's not shoved in the closet at random points during the season.

The more offensive reps Pollard gets, the more mentally, physically and emotionally refined he'll become, and what Mike McCarthy has planned for Kellen Moore's offense -- by way of installing West Coast tweaks -- will set Pollard up for strong success as a receiver out of the backfield in 2020. Elliott will see those duties as well as the bell-cow back, but expect him to be spelled a bit more to give Pollard a chance to spread his wings. Moore learned from his first-year mistakes, McCarthy's presence helps, and John Fassel is a special teams guru who should unlock the potential in Pollard as an NFL return guy.

2020 Prediction: 600 rushing yards, 4 rushing TDs, 200 receiving yards, 3 receiving TDs, 650 kick return yards, 1 kick return TD

I've been saying since training camp last year that he needed to be involved and I got roasted for asking more touches to go his way in multiple threads I started on the subject in weeks 1 -4 last season.

So naturally I agree with the author here. Looking very forward to what MM & KM do with the Zeke/Pollard tandem.

ondaedg

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...eap-in-year-2-including-predictions-and-more/

I've been saying since training camp last year that he needed to be involved and I got roasted for asking more touches to go his way in multiple threads I started on the subject in weeks 1 -4 last season.

So naturally I agree with the author here. Looking very forward to what MM & KM do with the Zeke/Pollard tandem.

I like Pollard but I am not as excited as some others on him. He hasn't shown me more than being a change of pace guy to Zeke. Zoners tend to fall in love with the new guys.

And Pollard picked up a chunk of his yardage in the infamous "garbagetime" mode we've been hearing so much about recently.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I like Pollard but I am not as excited as some others on him. He hasn't shown me more than being a change of pace guy to Zeke. Zoners tend to fall in love with the new guys.

And Pollard picked up a chunk of his yardage in the infamous "garbagetime" mode we've been hearing so much about recently.

To your first point, he's only going to be the change of pace back but he's going to be very good in that role.

To your second point, blame that on Jason Garrett. Pollard should have played more but JG's philosophies kept Zeke on the field, running up the middle.

Carson

Reaction score

The thing with Pollard, he is the definition of a change of pace guy. That’s what he was in college and will be in the NFL. It’s not a bad thing. He’s very good at it

johneric8

Reaction score
The thing with Pollard, he is the definition of a change of pace guy. That’s what he was in college and will be in the NFL. It’s not a bad thing. He’s very good at it
Yes, and what some people on the forum are forgetting is the guy can make buttery quick cuts and pick up a lot of yard quickly. He is also a very focused and intelligent player.

ondaedg

Reaction score

Ya not minimizing the impact he could have. Reminds me a little of rookie Felix Jones tbh. Just want to keep it real about what we could really expect from him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he was our starting tailback he would be awesome and he would be cheap.

That should be the goal for every team when it comes to RBs.

Instead... We pay our guy a ton because 90s.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

It wasn’t like Zeke was all the time getting more yards then what were on the field..

You give just about any decent NFL runner the amount of volume Zeke received, including Pollard, and you will get similar results.

We need 2016 Zeke back.. A bowling ball capable of explosive plays..

Kareemovweet

Reaction score
The thing boils down to coaching. If all you do when Zeke is in is run the ball, and when Pollard is in pass more, then the defense knows that. They need to just mix it up and have more 2 back sets so it keeps the defense guessing as to what you are going to do. Bottom line, stop being vanilla, mix stuff up all around and keep the D off their keel... And getting Pollard in more... :)

phildadon86

Reaction score
If he was our starting tailback he would be awesome and he would be cheap.

That should be the goal for every team when it comes to RBs.

Instead... We pay our guy a ton because 90s.
Yeah because he’s proven he can take the pounding of a 3 down back right? Jesus you people need to wake up. The guy wasn’t the lead back ever in his life. All of a sudden he’s going to do it at the highest level? He would be injured after one game of 20 plus carries my friend. His body isn’t used to the pounding of a lead rb and that’s fine. He’s a great backup and it really helps when Zeke is pounding the opposition and softening them up for pollard to come in and take advantage.

blueblood70

Reaction score

dude the whole look im right blah blah blah.. the coaches see the kid everyday in practice and preseason and games, they also realize they have a an elite back in Zeke with anew deal..Pollard wont get a ton more carries , sure a few more but the issue last year with this Offensive staff was the pass game and not only not utilizing Pollard but zeke. its insane how little they utilized the backs in pass game when BOTH have above average pass catching skills...

BTW pollard didnt so squat in the Kick return game , he actually at times looked bad and even some in the run game..his star power only grew because of the holdout and hate toward zeke, like I said the coaches knew what they had in both and chose to use pollard the way they did.. Hes a nice player but for sure a complimentary back..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah because he’s proven he can take the pounding of a 3 down back right? Jesus you people need to wake up. The guy wasn’t the lead back ever in his life. All of a sudden he’s going to do it at the highest level? He would be injured after one game of 20 plus carries my friend. His body isn’t used to the pounding of a lead rb and that’s fine. He’s a great backup and it really helps when Zeke is pounding the opposition and softening them up for pollard to come in and take advantage.

I’ll draft another awesome cheap back to replace him if he goes down.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Zeke comes in out of shape, start Pollard, he a step quicker anyway. But yeah, Mike will expand his role anyway.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Moore will actually have to use him for Pollard to improve.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong in this post